by pondering_it_all
Today at 05:08 AM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Ken Condon
Today at 04:48 AM
CNN's lawsuit over White House ban of Jim Acosta
by logtroll
Today at 12:01 AM
RED ALERT: Obstruction of Justice on Overdrive!
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 06:21 PM
Our Embarrasment of a White House
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 09:28 AM
Round table NOVEMBER 2018
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/12/18 04:44 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018
by pondering_it_all
11/12/18 06:28 AM
the economy
by pondering_it_all
11/11/18 04:25 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Marine Corps
by Greger
11/10/18 08:45 PM
What Left?
by Greger
11/09/18 02:42 AM
Sleazy Slimeball or Slimy Sleazebag?
by NW Ponderer
11/08/18 06:25 PM
The rising tides are upon us
by pondering_it_all
11/08/18 01:15 AM
People who remember every second of their life - Total recall | 60 Minutes Austr
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:42 PM
Frontline: Facebook Dilemma
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:27 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
11/04/18 09:22 PM
Roundtable for October 2018
by logtroll
10/30/18 11:06 PM
An Open Letter to My Teenage Son (Vietnam War era artifact)
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/29/18 05:02 AM
Media and Trump
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/28/18 08:09 PM
Debt Crises
by jgw
10/28/18 07:48 PM
The chosen one?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/27/18 12:40 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16415 Topics
282754 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#308974 - 10/19/18 05:04 AM Re: The chosen one? [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Only Christians will worship the anti-Christ. The rest of us will just think he's an a-hole. I think their near-worship of Trump (The Prince of Lies) pretty solidly proves this.

#309021 - 10/22/18 03:16 PM Re: The chosen one? [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Being Christian is pretty much a requirement for believing in "the anti-Christ" (it's in the name), or "antichrists" depending on which part of the bible you're referring to. But, being "the chosen one" or chosen people just takes a certain mindset. "Believers" and "skeptics" just view the world differently. That's why the right wing loved to describe support for Obama that way - they just can't comprehend rational thought.

TIME magazine recently ran a cover story about How Trumpism Will Outlast Trump. In my view, the premise is wrong: "Trumpism" isn't some new and different thing - it is the same lies that Republicans have been spouting for a century or more, just repackaged. Yes, some of his positions are non-orthodox, but he's still given them all the fruits of their wet dreams. The article points out, however, that Democrats also adhere to many of the broken premises in propounding their policies. It's a matter of misunderstanding. What is most dangerous is what the article asserts: these "new conservatives" have learned to repackage their ideas for the reshaped electorate by downplaying the bigotry. But, it still requires the ardent support of "true believers". "Aye, there's the rub..."

#309035 - 10/23/18 07:49 PM Re: The chosen one? [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
What is most dangerous is what the article asserts: these "new conservatives" have learned to repackage their ideas for the reshaped electorate by downplaying the bigotry.

I have to disagree.

Bigotry has been a large part of the modern conservative movement. The transition is clear when one considers how the parties changed after 1964 especially in the South. During the transition Republicans downplayed the bigotry by claiming it was not a part of their party. The reality is and was that it was there and the leaders either lived in denial, oblivious ignorance, or intentional promoted the PC responses.

With Trumpism all the bigotry has been exposed and like Mr Trump's blatantly obvious corruption, that bigotry is now in the light of day. Republicans have acquiesced to the corruption, the ignorance of Mr Trump, his narcissistic lies, and his bigotry. That bigotry is now an open festering wound on the American landscape. We can no longer be held as a beacon of anything but 3rd rate nationalism, ready to sell out to the next high bidder.

We have lost our footing, but do not despair. What I know is in the long term progressive ideals will win the hearts and minds of people. These sunless days will become a reminder of a time when the heart of darkness reared its ugly head in a death throe trying to drag the rest of humanity down in the hole it resides.

Be brave and hold fast

#309037 - 10/23/18 08:24 PM Re: The chosen one? [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
We have lost our footing, but do not despair. What I know is in the long term progressive ideals will win the hearts and minds of people. These sunless days will become a reminder of a time when the heart of darkness reared its ugly head in a death throe trying to drag the rest of humanity down in the hole it resides.

Be brave and hold fast

ThumbsUp

Thanks for that reminder Mr. Porter.

#309038 - 10/23/18 11:21 PM Re: The chosen one? [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Being Christian is pretty much a requirement for believing in "the anti-Christ"

You're wrong there in a certain way. I'm not Christian (in that I don't believe in the divinity of Jesus) but I do believe in the anti-Christ. That is I believe that some people who DO believe in the divinity of Jesus will follow one or more very bad people because they think he is Christ returned, and it will not turn out well in the end. You have to be irrational to believe a lot of their dogma to begin with, so believing some more is no great leap. And blind faith can lead to some very bad things.

I don't think Trump really qualifies, but we are seeing the same sort of phenomenon right now. A lot of people of faith have been taken in, despite all of his many moral defects.

#309093 - 10/27/18 12:40 AM Re: The chosen one? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
I on the other hand DO think Trump very much qualifies.
He's TEXTBOOK.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2