by Golem
Today at 01:18 AM
Election Day
by chunkstyle
Yesterday at 03:54 PM
CNN's lawsuit over White House ban of Jim Acosta
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
RED ALERT: Obstruction of Justice on Overdrive!
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 04:05 AM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
11/14/18 04:19 PM
Our Embarrasment of a White House
by NW Ponderer
11/13/18 09:28 AM
the economy
by pondering_it_all
11/11/18 04:25 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Marine Corps
by Greger
11/10/18 08:45 PM
What Left?
by Greger
11/09/18 02:42 AM
Sleazy Slimeball or Slimy Sleazebag?
by NW Ponderer
11/08/18 06:25 PM
The rising tides are upon us
by pondering_it_all
11/08/18 01:15 AM
People who remember every second of their life - Total recall | 60 Minutes Austr
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:42 PM
Frontline: Facebook Dilemma
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:27 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
11/04/18 09:22 PM
Roundtable for October 2018
by logtroll
10/30/18 11:06 PM
An Open Letter to My Teenage Son (Vietnam War era artifact)
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/29/18 05:02 AM
Media and Trump
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/28/18 08:09 PM
Debt Crises
by jgw
10/28/18 07:48 PM
The chosen one?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/27/18 12:40 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16415 Topics
282786 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#309097 - 10/27/18 03:57 AM Media and Trump
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have been watching the covering of Jackass by media and its been interesting. I have also noticed that Jackass is not a big admirer of media. Still, we, for instance, hear a lot about how media is abused by the true believers at rallies. I think its pretty interesting - I have yet to see a single video of the spitting, cursing, being penned in, etc. Not one single video. This is just one example of the apparent inability of media to actually report on the Jackass. When Jackass lies, flat out, they report it but they can never quite bring themselves to say, right out loud, that Jackass lied and why it was a lie. This has been going on for a very long time and I, for one, and sick and tired of it.

Apparently media seems to think that they should be civilized and kindly instead of standing up. When was the last time we heard anybody ask Jackass, when he claims to be unfairly, and untruthfully, attacked to explain his outrage. Apparently, it seems, media fears the truth? I don't believe this. I think that media, whilst whining a lot in general, have yet to actually fight back. In other words they have caught the Hillary disease and are, basically, getting beat up in relative silence.

It is, I think, time for media to stand up?

#309098 - 10/27/18 05:12 AM Re: Media and Trump [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well... I have to say, a lot of the media I watch calls him out for --- LYING. No embellishment, no caveats, no softpedaling. Not everyone, of course, but more and more frequently.

#309099 - 10/27/18 05:26 AM Re: Media and Trump [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
I think that media, whilst whining a lot in general, have yet to actually fight back. In other words they have caught the Hillary disease and are, basically, getting beat up in relative silence.

"Dollah bill, y'all."
That's all it is, and that's it's ever been.
If they harsh on Trump too hard the ratings go down.
On specific shows, harshing on Trump brings ratings UP but on the NEWS itself, they have to balance between big ratings and and covering Trump impartially and the ratings win out every time.

No ratings, no paychecks and no bottom line.

#309103 - 10/27/18 02:20 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
chunkstyle Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted By: jgw
I think that media, whilst whining a lot in general, have yet to actually fight back. In other words they have caught the Hillary disease and are, basically, getting beat up in relative silence.

"Dollah bill, y'all."
That's all it is, and that's it's ever been.
If they harsh on Trump too hard the ratings go down.
On specific shows, harshing on Trump brings ratings UP but on the NEWS itself, they have to balance between big ratings and and covering Trump impartially and the ratings win out every time.

No ratings, no paychecks and no bottom line.

Nailed it!

Nothing to add cept for me, it was telling how the corporate infotainment industry handled the 2016 election.

Relentless coverage of Trump.
A carefully crafted script for Hillary
A near total black out of Sanders.

Nothing much has changed as it brings home the bacon to the Executives

#309104 - 10/27/18 04:20 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: chunkstyle]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The explanation for FOX News, or is it the FOX effect?: Older People Are Worse Than Young People at Telling Fact from Opinion. FOX aggressively conflates the two in their broadcasts, which is what Trump does as well. What is not as clear, is this cause or effect?

#309105 - 10/27/18 05:09 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Media needs a horse race or a prize fight to promote at all times.
I've disagreed with jgw on several occasions about them calling him out for his lying, they do it often and with vigor. But I also haven't seen television news which tends to soften everything to widen the audience. After all, just because we disagree with every single thing he does doesn't mean that everyone feels the same. About half of America believes he is doing the right thing and telling the truth.

Trump is a moneymaker for the press. I'd be surprised if they don't make every effort to see him re-elected. He might be at his best(for them) with a hostile congress. Perhaps with their help we will regain the House in 2018 and the Senate in 2020 with Trump re-elected for another term.

A guaranteed draw and a media frenzy.

It isn't Republicans or Trump who has divided Americans almost to the point of civil war. It's the money grubbing media moguls.

#309106 - 10/27/18 05:17 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: jgw]
chunkstyle Offline

Getting older has been described as your 'second childhood'. Someone noted that Fox news is like cosplay for older adults. Watching Fox is akin to listening to the dungeon master in 'Dungeons and Dragons'. A sorta board game with lethal consequences always believed to be for somebody else.

Funny to think about, for me anyhow, but I'd add that it's wholesale mass cosplay for a civilization in decline and unable to come to the cold grip of where it's at and what needs to be done.

Edited by chunkstyle (10/27/18 05:19 PM)

#309107 - 10/28/18 02:16 AM Re: Media and Trump [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Uh...cosplay? I think you mean role-play. And yes I think you're right.

#309112 - 10/28/18 01:50 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: jgw]
chunkstyle Offline

Yeah, your right Gregor. Cosplay requires you to make an effort.
I'd say the trump rally's and Tea Party protests had some good Cosplay. Sitting on the overstuffed Vietnamese furniture while yelling at your Korean TV about Guatemalans walking to Amerika is more like D&D.

Edited by chunkstyle (10/28/18 01:51 PM)

#309113 - 10/28/18 05:14 PM Re: Media and Trump [Re: jgw]
chunkstyle Offline

Listening to NPR's Mark Detro and his Sunday 'Politics Show' covering the elections.
The conversation was himself and two other talking milkshakes on the campaigns, the polls and what issues appear to be taking shape as the most important at this moment in the races.
They spent about 5 minutes talking about the contrast between democrats running from Obamacare in previous elections and their strident posturing of defending it today.
It then shifted to how some democrats want to go further and expand Medicare to all. The ability of republicans to use that position to go on the offensive was brought up by one of the milkshakes and then the conversation moved on to other features of the election race. All in all I would estimate that they gave 'Medicare for All' about 30 seconds of consideration and even that was framed as a positions that came with risk as it could be used against the candidate by her republican opponent.
Mind you, it's a position that has broad popular support in the electorate and is high on voters minds. Yet it was only given light coverage in negative framing.
My take is that, I've said it before, it's a perverse inverse pleasure to see consistency between both political factions. Both claiming that the other is trying to narrow the conversation.
I see it as merely both factions battling to control the narrative on our perception of society and how it's organized.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2