by pondering_it_all
11/05/19 04:27 AM
Why are the Democrats waiting?
by jgw
11/04/19 10:16 PM
MSNBC’s Touré: Romney Engaging In The ‘N.....izati
by logtroll
11/01/19 08:44 AM
POLL: Will Trump resign or stay and be impeached?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/31/19 06:25 PM
Trump Doings
by jgw
10/30/19 08:11 PM
ISIS Leader Killed in U.S. Special Operations Raid in Northern Syria
by pdx rick
10/29/19 04:40 AM
Forum Stats
6283 Members
59 Forums
16734 Topics
291915 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#310290 - 01/10/19 08:38 PM Why?
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have been watching the current Jackass disaster with interest. I have also been waiting for the Dems to get off their collective butts and do something!

I am waiting, for instance, for a TV show that does the following. Points out that the Jackass is the ONLY one that can stop the Trump shutdown (it would take serious majorities, in both houses, to pass legislation that the Jackass couldn't veto. This is unlikely as OUR congress seems to be barely competent to feed themselves so actual leading or doing their jobs seems a bit unlikely).

I mention this stuff as I know admirers of the Jackass who insist that its up to the Dems to stop the shutdown as all they have to do is the will of the Jackass. The problem with that one is that the Dems, in the past have thought they had a deal only to find out that too was fiction (two times).

Anyway, the proposed show should do multiple interviews of those who live on the borders of Arizona and Texas. It seems that them that own the property, and live on the Mexican border, are experiencing absolutely none of the stuff that Jackass claims - no rapists, no murderers, no slavers just a bunch of foreigners that actually seem to believe that the streets of America are paved with gold and they want some too.

The Dems have always had problems with any attempts at educating the other side. The Republicans have never had a problem with not only educating but lying to make their fictitious points. The newsies cover this stuff minimally as they have found that coverage of Jackass is more profitable (does anybody even remember that time when the news was a public service offered by the TV networks?). Hopefully the Dems will, eventually get it and explain why a wall on the Mexican border is a really bad idea and, if you listen to them that live there its even a bit more than that.

Oh, I am basing this on the current news plus the simple fact that my wife has extended family living on the Mexican border (both sides) and they are fit to be tied. The only real problem I actually have about all of this is that many of her relatives are also Jackass supporters - but not about the wall. I have a serious problem with even understanding how anybody can support a jackass that lies a minimum of 70% of the time.)

#310291 - 01/10/19 09:10 PM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
He just had some border agent come on and give an unsolicited advertisement for a wall. He said 90% of illegals come across in an area where there is no wall. Of course we do not have any specifics.

Sen Graham just came out of a high level Republican meeting in which all negotiations fell through after 18 hours. Apparently there was some offer for DACA relief but these clowns couldn't even agree on that.

Let me say, every compromise offer which includes the word DACA will fail. Conservatives will block it and Mr Trump will listen to Rush and Sean for their advice, which is a resounding and in unison .... NO!!!!!

Even Sen Graham realizes that once we go down the path of executives with absolute power to do whatever they want once a national emergency is declared, will be the end of our democracy. I'll allow the reader to imagine where this could go.

The only hope I see is that the rational Republican actors will come to their collective senses and realize they can get a veto proof set of bills to reopen the government for business.

If you do not think talk of absolute power is meaningless or irrelevant, then may I point out there are a number of historical texts on the rise of authoritarian governments which explicitly paint this as a direct path to dictatorship, not just in name, but in reality. The question which should be asked is, who will stand up and be counted in this dark hour of our democracy?

#310294 - 01/10/19 10:24 PM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

52 Republican Representatives and 20 Senators is what is required for overrides. That's a big ask. 26% in the House but 38% of the Senate. There aren't that many rational Republicans in D.C.

#310296 - 01/11/19 12:00 AM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
ergo ... only hope with a big H

#310297 - 01/11/19 01:59 AM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Seriously, they may change their minds when airlines stop running. No paychecks means TSA workers don't have gas to drive in for unpaid work. (Plus no money for childcare, rent, food, electricity, etc.) No TSA means all flights get grounded. Same goes for air traffic controllers! Nobody can afford to work for free. The biggest worry is all the government employees who decide they would prefer to work non-government jobs. How do you get those people back? I guess offer a lot more money?

And remember, 5.7 billion is less than 1/10th the cost of the whole thing! Let him bully us into paying him now, and he'll be back again and again. I think the Democrats are doing exactly the right thing. Leave it to Trump to give in or McConnell to put it to a floor vote. Or maybe we'll get lucky and old Mitch will drop dead and the next guy will have watched that School House Rock episode.

#310305 - 01/11/19 11:30 AM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
Kaine Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm expecting to hear today that a national emergency has been declared. I think this is Trumps wildest dream - to be able to abuse that kind of power. I just hope the legislators can see it for what it is and fight tooth-and-nail to stop it. I also hope the voters can see through the BS this president spews. Allot to hope for with a small h.

#310311 - 01/11/19 06:20 PM Re: Why? [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The problem is simple, if the president is incapable of doing the right thing then the congress should. If the congress can't then there should be a promise to un-elect the whole damned bunch of them the next time they come up for re-election. I know, wishful thinking. On the other hand I am REALLY tired of an electorate that rarely votes, is ignorant of what they are voting for/against, and, generally just as incompetent as them currently serving (the elected class, I believe, accurately mirror them that voted for them). This being the case, and completely unlikely, I would REALLY like to see a number of TV shows pointing out the obvious incompetence of the lazy voting public. I would suggest a test before voting so that the voter can prove that they grasp the basics. My problem with that one is that it would simply mean that even fewer voters would turn out.

The simple fact is that the system was designed so that out of control presidents can be dealt with, by the congress. The other simple fact is that the designers, obviously, never considered a situation wherein the congress, and the president, and the voters, would be so ignorant and incompetent that they would actually elect, and support, this particular group of self serving jackasses into office!

The shutdown itself is another opportunity. How about this. If them that claim to govern can't, and shutdown occurs, then REAL shutdown occurs. ALL federal employees walk, every one. If we are going to have a shutdown then lets have a SHUTDOWN! If that were to happen I would suggest that our coddled ignoramus elected class would probably do something rather quickly rather than deal with the resulting heat. There is absolutely no reason for these shutdowns and its time it stops. Eventually it will, when EVERYBODY is so damned angry that no matter what happens wounds will have opened and pain WILL be experienced by ALL groups involved. Actually, it dawns on me that the federal unions (I have, incidentally, never supported unions of government workers (that is why we have the civil service commission was built and are supposed to deal with)) could organize such a walkout (which gives me some humor).

A thought about the civil service commission might be in order.

The Washington Highway Department, years ago, had a worker that no other workers would work with as he was deemed to be dangerous by others. Everybody agreed that this employee must go and he was fired. The union didn't support him nor did anybody else. The man then went back to the civil service commission and plead his case. He won and was told to go back to work. When he appeared on the job the rest of the workers refused to work. The solution was almost edifying. What happened is that he was sent home to collect his wages and not work because nobody would work with him. He was able to live a rather good life, for about 10 years (before retirement) sitting on his fat ass in front of his TV. Just thought that might have been of interest.

Life is rarely as simple as folks think..............

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Karen Haas, Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista
6283 Registered Users
A2