6282 Members
59 Forums
16720 Topics
291141 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310331 - 01/12/19 05:46 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Why indeed?
Will things go worse for Trump and the Republican Party if the report is never fully released?

The president has proven time and again that he will go to the very edge.

It's all part of the prelude for The Trainwreck™

Along and along President Trump and the Republican Party are going to meet head on with Reality.

It's going to be glorious.

#310333 - 01/12/19 06:00 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: rporter314
Why have a report if Guiliani wants to essentially issue a different report?
We've seen how twisted Giuliani's retelling of stories can be. Why would this be any different?

#310334 - 01/12/19 06:33 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: pondering_it_all]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Report: FBI probed whether Trump was secretly working for Russia (AP, via LA Times, subscription). Today Trump went on another Twitter tirade over the NYT report, which says so much. I'm actually encouraged. The FBI was doing its job investigating (it's in the name) what we all saw happening in plain sight. Trump's bizarre affection for Putin and Russia is a national security threat. We've seen the "quo", the FBI just wants to know how much "quid" is involved.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#310339 - 01/12/19 07:55 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Yeah this was from an old investigation. It has resulted in a lot of speculation and not much else. I think, despite the WH tweets, the most important aspect of this was the FBI DID investigate. Imagine if a president were cavorting with the "enemy" and the FBI did nothing!!!!!

So not mentioned in the report ... was the investigation completed? was it quashed? if completed what was the assessment? if completed and assessed, who read the report? was the report quashed?

Do Republicans recognize how much Mr Trump has assaulted the foundations of our republic?

#310345 - 01/13/19 05:13 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think it's pretty apparent that some of those threads were probably shunted off to the Mueller probe, although they would be very careful to segregate the "counterintelligence" leads from criminal ones. Indeed, I suspect that one of the reasons for the pace of the Mueller probe is that they have to nail down speculative leads with "clean" discovery to avoid tainting the legal cases. Those niceties will not be as necessary for the report, however, as it is not a prosecution.

#310346 - 01/13/19 09:24 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am completely convinced that the shutdown and collusion are directly connected. Trump needed A BIG distraction from Mueller, and everyone is talking about the shutdown. But, it turns out the the press can walk and chew gum at the same time, so both the New York Times and Washington Post have new exposés this weekend.

#310347 - 01/13/19 09:26 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
How will the FBI be able to neutralize the threat to national security if the President IS the threat?
Congress ultimately holds the keys to dealing with that and it is clear we are already in a constitutional "crisis of fidelity" where the Constitution is clear on what remedies must be taken, but the majority of Congress is unwilling to swallow that bitter pill.

"The FBI can't neutralize a security threat if the President is the threat."

The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#310349 - 01/13/19 09:54 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Somebody will probably use a Second Amendment solution, if not against Trump then against McConnell. Not me, and I am not advocating this. (If the FBI wants to find a responsible party, they should look at Sarah Palin. She invented the phrase.) They might want to check out the NRA too, which keeps on telling us guns are the solution to every problem.

I am simply aware that when you piss off millions of people, there are bound to be a few with motive and opportunity. Probably doesn't help that their Secret Service protective details are not getting paid.

#310350 - 01/13/19 11:05 PM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
As far as I can tell the FBI Opened its investigation of Trump based on facts that were known. This investigation morphed into the Mueller investigation. Its all still ongoing. The simple fact that this thing has now been going on for almost 3 years is, in itself, pretty interesting. If there was no smoking gun I suspect it would have been over and done with at least a year ago, it wasn't and continues. I also don't think that they keep investigations going on this long without a smoking gun.

My fond hope is that they have the goods and are now doing the paperwork and following any and all leads which, by reports, mean that more and more are being investigated and now Mueller has extended the life of his jury. I think it was about a year ago when Mueller got a bunch of blank indictments (I could be confused about this). This tends to make me, and others, think that they are find a LOT of stuff!

Now, the Dems own the house and are starting their investigations. If Jackass tries to stop Mueller the house will either not let that happen or just hire him, with his team and data, and continue to have at it. I, and probably a majority of American voters, think that Jackass is probably already toast but Mueller wants to make sure their case is airtight. To this end there isn't a single week that goes by without yet another name mentioned. Its also generally agreed that the Mueller thing is close to having at it and then shutting down.

The concern that Jackass, or anybody else, is going to screw with the report is unlikely. The thought that it can be edited or sequestered is unlikely as well. By that time the house investigation will probably have synced with Mueller so the cat will be out of the bag regardless of any actions. If they do have the goods, and the Republicans continue the kowtowing, support and adulation of Jackass they will, most assuredly, join the Jackass in disgrace and public disgust. I suspect its on their minds a lot these days and there are cracks emerging.

Now add in the shutdown. There is a LOT of pressure over this one but its all just part of the general disgust and dismay caused by Jackass and his minions. It continues to build and congress better watch out as well. Jackass is simply too greedy (or busy doing the work assigned by his boss Putin) to do anything about the shutdown and the politicians, so far, haven't the backbone to do anything. Whilst my predictions are not particularly accurate I believe that the end of the whole mess is drawing near.

Then there is the charge that the Dems are responsible for the shutdown. What can they do? They have tried, in good faith, 2 times to deal with this problem, with and without dealing with the Daca folk. Both times Jackass backed out of the deal at the last moment. Why in the world would they have any belief in what the Republicans say. The word of the Jackass is a joke (internationally!) and the Republicans are not noted for being much better as they tend to go along with the actions of their dear leader. Basically, the Dems are holding fast because they really have no choice in the matter.

The best solution is probably to pass legislation that cannot be stopped by the president but the Senate has allowed McConnell to hamstring them and they don't have the backbone to fix that because then it would be on THEM and they really don't have the backbone.

Just saying..............

#310356 - 01/14/19 03:13 AM Re: Collusion has now been shown. What now? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Somebody will probably use a Second Amendment solution, if not against Trump then against McConnell. Not me, and I am not advocating this. (If the FBI wants to find a responsible party, they should look at Sarah Palin. She invented the phrase.) They might want to check out the NRA too, which keeps on telling us guns are the solution to every problem.

I am simply aware that when you piss off millions of people, there are bound to be a few with motive and opportunity. Probably doesn't help that their Secret Service protective details are not getting paid.

I get what you're saying and yet no matter how much I despise both of them, that would be the worst possible nightmare because for all the idle chatter about a civil war, 99 percent of it really is just that, however if such an unthinkable thing like that were to occur, it just might set it off for real.

Thus it would not solve any problems and would probably create some large and brand new ones.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
2 registered (chunkstyle, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2