by pondering_it_all
04/19/19 01:06 AM
The debate over what Julian Assange’s arrest means for freedom of the press
by Greger
04/18/19 04:29 PM
Justice is coming
by Greger
04/17/19 11:51 PM
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie the
by pondering_it_all
04/17/19 03:04 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by pondering_it_all
04/16/19 04:57 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by Golem
04/15/19 05:12 PM
What is Neoliberalism?
by chunkstyle
04/15/19 02:40 PM
freshman facts
by jgw
04/14/19 07:45 PM
You can help name the largest unnamed world in the solar system
by Greger
04/09/19 08:17 PM
Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award
by Golem
04/07/19 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16540 Topics
285407 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#310411 - 01/17/19 03:57 PM A Judge Blocked the Census From Asking About Citizenship. Here's Why It Matters
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Slowly, hesitantly, inconsistently, the rule of law is making a comeback. Judge Blocked Census Citizenship Question. Here's Why It Matters (Newsweek). Ironically, Ross (who is both incompetent AND incompetent), as Secretary of commerce, would be screwing up the economy in myriad ways he supports if he were successful, as his own department learned decades ago:
Quote:
The private sector often relies on Census numbers as well for decisions about where to open stores or where to base factories and other employment opportunities
. An inaccurate census is, literally, bad for business.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#310439 - 01/18/19 04:04 PM Re: A Judge Blocked the Census From Asking About Citizenship. Here's Why It Matters [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
How else can the Democratic Party grow without importing members? For a political party made up of splinter groups, the Dems really are struggling to find a domestic voice, so they have been forced to allow the invasion of America in the name of party building.

Tim

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#310442 - 01/18/19 04:54 PM Re: A Judge Blocked the Census From Asking About Citizenship. Here's Why It Matters [Re: Ma_Republican]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Gee Tim, should I conclude you are of only native American heritage? O so you are a part of that, let me use the pejorative ... invasion of America. I don;t think I'll dignify the obvious with a comment but to mention the words, and allow the reader to construct their own comment, white European and people of color.

As far as American political parties, I see two major groups. One is the party predominantly fueled by bigotry and the other a party of disparate demographics but one purpose, to represent all Americans.

I have to laugh about Republicans because party leadership both relies on their base of bigots and fears their base. (And don't become indignant that I am accusing YOU personally of being a bigot. I am stating the obvious fact that a large majority of Mr Trump's base is primarily motivated to support both Mr Trump and his agenda almost solely because they (including Mr Trump) are bigoted).

The belief all men are created equal and deserve equal rights under the Constitution is not a novel concept, it is the fundamental concept of the Constitution. That you find it so outrageous a political party would define itself by that standard tells me more than I want to know about your politics.

Perhaps you are correct and America is nothing more than a nation of bigots. I hope that is not the case. But in case it is, please provide your argument for the virtue of being a bigot, so I can tell my great grandson why he should hate someone who doesn't look like he does.

#310459 - 01/19/19 04:55 PM Re: A Judge Blocked the Census From Asking About Citizenship. Here's Why It Matters [Re: Ma_Republican]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
the Dems really are struggling to find a domestic voice,

Are we? We just whupped yall's asses in November. Actually beat Trump by 3 million votes in 2016. More Americans are now represented by Democratic governors and 2020 is looking to be another Democratic landslide.

Doesn't it strike you odd that a bill which aims to remove cheating, corruption, voter suppression and Gerrymandering is considered a
Democratic "power grab" by Republicans who can't win without cheating?

No, my old friend, it is Republicans who are struggling to find any voice at all that isn't lying through its teeth.

I'm truly sorry for what has happened to the Republican Party. But you did it to yourselves.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2