by pondering_it_all
04/19/19 01:06 AM
The debate over what Julian Assange’s arrest means for freedom of the press
by Greger
04/18/19 04:29 PM
Justice is coming
by Greger
04/17/19 11:51 PM
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie the
by pondering_it_all
04/17/19 03:04 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by pondering_it_all
04/16/19 04:57 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by Golem
04/15/19 05:12 PM
What is Neoliberalism?
by chunkstyle
04/15/19 02:40 PM
freshman facts
by jgw
04/14/19 07:45 PM
You can help name the largest unnamed world in the solar system
by Greger
04/09/19 08:17 PM
Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award
by Golem
04/07/19 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16540 Topics
285407 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310449 - 01/18/19 10:10 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I tend to believe there WILL be impeachment but, first, you have to get the votes and then make sure you have enough charges to fire the Jackass. Once impeached I also believe we get to sue the living, (er well, you know) out of him! We are not there yet but, hopefully, closing in.

First we got information of Jackass doing bad about every 2 months, then every month, then every week, we are now down to every day!

This stuff just takes time. A thought: he speaks like a 4th grader and acts like a fourth grader - One can only wonder?

#310454 - 01/18/19 11:04 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I think a RICO prosecution after he leaves office would finish off him and his family (and a lot of his fellow travelers). They would all be in prison on both federal and state convictions, so unlikely to be successfully pardoned. Also impoverished. One nice side benefit is that any state that took part in that would get some of his money, if there actually is any. I kind of doubt RICO pays convicts debts to money launders.

#310465 - 01/20/19 07:49 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Did you know that Secret Service aren't even being paid?
Talk about playing a game of chicken...only a real actual MOBSTER would consider jeopardizing their own Secret Service detail.
I used to think that Donald Trump just "did business WITH" a lot of gangsters, but now it is becoming very clear that President Trump really IS an actual gangster, a genuine, bonafide mobbed up gangster, and just because he cannot trace his family back to Sicily doesn't mean anything, it just means he is not part of the Italian "Cosa Nostra".
Meyer Lanksy, Mickey Cohen and Bugsy Siegel weren't Cosa Nostra either but they were genuine gangsters all the same.

I'm not saying he's a smart mobster but I have trouble reaching any other conclusion when I think of a very disliked president who isn't worried about pissing all over his own secret service.
That tells me that he MUST have a significant security detail of his own composed of muscle.

--Unless he's just suicidal and playing a game of "chicken"? eek2
I guess it is possible, maybe he wants to go for a ride in an open top limo, too.

I had not considered the possibility that he actually thinks he is literally invincible, but history shows that a lot of tyrants believe that nothing can stop them, and that they are immune to danger, as if they are protected by supernatural forces or something.
That would be a whole new special level of cray cray.

#310470 - 01/20/19 08:46 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

You are assuming Jackass understand this. The man is convinced of his superiority and godlike qualities. He has publicly stated that he knows virtually everything and his general behavior leaves the impression of invulnerability. He just don't need them fellas following him around.

I continue to believe that, other than congress actually functioning and doing something that them forced to work for nothing should simply announce its no longer gonna happen and they got 24 hours to fix it or they are walking. I also believe that if they were to do that, and they tried to hire others willing to work for free although not trained or competent might also be interesting and doomed to fail.

I also continue to believe that a good part of this is the voting public who also seem to accept this crap.

Edited by jgw (01/20/19 08:47 PM)

#310474 - 01/20/19 10:28 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I suspect mobsterism appeals to his narcissism. Boss of Bosses ... or even better {{{{{Master of the Universe}}}}

#310478 - 01/21/19 12:24 AM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
I used to think that Donald Trump just "did business WITH" a lot of gangsters, but now it is becoming very clear that President Trump really IS an actual gangster, a genuine, bonafide mobbed up gangster, and just because he cannot trace his family back to Sicily doesn't mean anything, it just means he is not part of the Italian "Cosa Nostra".

There is the Russian Mob, to which I do believe Michael Cohen is related.

#310479 - 01/21/19 01:04 AM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I don't think there can be any doubt that Trump has had ties to the Russian mob for many years. Why else would he even think of having a Trump Tower in Moscow.

#310486 - 01/21/19 07:49 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

There is a book, "House of Trump House of Putin" that goes into great detail on this stuff. I swear, seems a third of the book is just an appendix of sources! In any case, its an interesting read.

As far as impeachment is concerned. We don't have the votes, especially in the senate. So, if the house impeaches the senate will not follow through and Jackass remains in place.

Better to wait for Mueller to do his job - THEN!!

#310658 - 01/30/19 09:42 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I keep hearing references to impeachment and the 25A as "ships which have already sailed."

I guess that means I too am a pessimist. I don't think either ship ever even had a chance to get a bill of lading or a manifest in the first place.

It's almost like "Directive #4" in the movie "Robocop".

Quote:
Dick Jones:
"What's the matter, officer? I'll tell you what's the matter. It's a little insurance policy called Directive Four - my little contribution to your psychological profile. It says that any attempt to arrest a senior officer of OCP results in shutdown.
What did you think, that you were an ordinary officer?
No, you're our product! And we can't have our products turn against us, can we?"

It appears that even despite all the abuses of the British monarchy, despite having had to fight a bloody revolution against the Crown, the founding fathers were overly optimistic, too.

But no, not the authors of the 25th Amendment. They weren't optimists or pessimists. They were simply myopic, too myopic to imagine a scenario of a chief executive who is engaged in open and outright criminality and who believes themselves to be above the law altogether and who, having accumulated a willing and compliant coterie of sycophants and enforcers, is able to subvert the Constitution altogether.

The Twenty-Fifth Amendment speaks at length to the subject of disability and incapacitation, but it doesn't even touch on the notion of fitness for office or lack thereof:

Quote:

"It was 180 years ago, in the closing days of the Constitutional Convention, that the Founding Fathers debated the question of Presidential disability. John Dickinson of Delaware asked this question: "What is the extent of the term 'disability' and who is to be the judge of it?" No one replied.

It is hard to believe that until last week our Constitution provided no clear answer. Now, at last, the 25th amendment clarifies the crucial clause that provides for succession to the Presidency and for filling a Vice Presidential vacancy."

---Lyndon Johnson - 1965

This is a bonafide constitutional crisis, a crisis of fidelity. The Constitution provides a remedy for outright criminality, several remedies, in fact. Congress knows them well but they refuse to avail the country of such remedies.

It now boils down to a question of what it is exactly that will bring about the final fall of this nation to its knees, an external act of terrorism or constitutional rot and the collapse of the law itself. Truly, it appears that the only remedy Congress might be willing to avail themselves of will be to punish the people who, in their apparent majority, seek to express their voice in unity.
Rather than remove a criminal president, it would appear that Congress is more willing to remove the American people in sufficient numbers so as to cow the remainder into silence.
We are "defective products".

It is not a question of "if" but rather, "when".

#310660 - 01/30/19 09:54 PM Re: It is time to consider impeachment [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Interesting to note that apparently the 25A contains the same over the top hurdles as impeachment.
My opinion only, ONE of those should be slightly easier, not to a great extent, just more approachable.
As it is now, both appear to be well nigh impossible, thus by the time any prophylactic measure of self preservation is finally incurred, there might not even be a nation left to save anymore.

What good would it do to impeach or 25A a president if, say perhaps, a hostile adversary already has the goods and intelligence and finally DOES commit an act of terrorism, even so called "soft terrorism" sufficient to destroy us on some level.
Impeachment and the 25A are absolutely NO good to us whatsoever as preventatives, and in my humble opinion, this leaves us with NO preventative measures to save us PRIOR to a catastrophe, thus we are sitting ducks.
Is there even any kind of a CABINET anymore other than Trump's closest family and a few derelict opportunists?

And the reason why impeachment and the 25A are so impossible to access isn't due to any flaw in the measures themselves either. Put simply and bluntly, the men and women charged with the responsibility are like passengers on the Titanic who refuse to call for the lifeboats because they love their luxurious staterooms too much.

Impeachment and the 25A cannot work because NO ONE in Congress has the stomach or the political will to do what is right for the country, for the American people.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2