by pondering_it_all
04/19/19 01:06 AM
The debate over what Julian Assange’s arrest means for freedom of the press
by Greger
04/18/19 04:29 PM
Justice is coming
by Greger
04/17/19 11:51 PM
Mom says she and 'giggling' son with special needs were asked to leave movie the
by pondering_it_all
04/17/19 03:04 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by pondering_it_all
04/16/19 04:57 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by Golem
04/15/19 05:12 PM
What is Neoliberalism?
by chunkstyle
04/15/19 02:40 PM
freshman facts
by jgw
04/14/19 07:45 PM
You can help name the largest unnamed world in the solar system
by Greger
04/09/19 08:17 PM
Nancy Pelosi named recipient of Profile in Courage Award
by Golem
04/07/19 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16540 Topics
285407 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310398 - 01/16/19 04:04 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This shutdown, and really, all shutdowns, is an obscenity. Take the border wall, which no one really wants anyway, out of the equation. Why is the government not working? Because Mitch McConnell won't bring it up for a vote. The end result of all the posturing probably won't result in Trump backing down. Instead, I think the only way out is a Congressional veto override. That will begin the restoration of sanity to Congress which has been largely dysfunctional for decades.

Mitch McConnell isn't brave, he is a sniveling coward. He knows he can't control his caucus, so HE won't let THEM have a say. The same thing happened with Merrick Garland. He knew he'd be confirmed, so he wouldn't even let his nomination be considered. He is, in every measure, an autocrat and believes in anti-democratic policies, which is why he supports Trump. He has lost all of his moral authority and is afraid he is losing his Congressional authority. It is time to break the Hastert rule, the McConnell rule, and let Republicans vote when they want to. The same should be true for Democrats. Both Houses are supposed to be representative. If they don't represent, they should be removed, period.

#310400 - 01/16/19 05:14 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Mitch McConnell

Maybe he gets it.

Would a Senate (veto proof) vote be such a great insult/affront to Mr Trump, he would unleash a rage which would completely decimate the GOP? I view Sen McConnell as a competent politician, not an intellectual giant, however, I have never been able to identify who he is. He is like mercury on the floor ... try to touch it and you get too many beads to handle.

There have been numerous reports of him trying to dissuade Mr Trump from non-conservative positions, all without success. Perhaps that speaks to an inability to understand the real problem, Mr Trump's narcissism. Where Mr Trump's position coincide with conservative positions, there is no problem and his narcissism is disguised. Thus when he has a diametrical position, people appear to think they can "reason" with him, and that is their mistake.

Once they recognize the problem, they can rearrange their approach and be successful. Until they want the world on a half shell, narcissists are easy to manipulate and simply hard to live with.

#310407 - 01/17/19 06:49 AM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: rporter314]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Once they recognize the problem, they can rearrange their approach and be successful.

I think they are being quite successful now. Democrats have no need to tiptoe around and coddle Trump. He took responsibility for the shutdown and everybody knows it. The longer this lasts, the worse his polling is going to be. Democrats are in no hurry, so they can wait until either he or McConnell breaks. If you pay an extortionist, he just keeps on coming back and demanding more over and over again.

#310410 - 01/17/19 02:40 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
I am convinced that if we allow $5Bn into a fund for this "wall", at least a billion will be funneled to Trump, or to some other vanity trophy that he wants down the road.
The initial $1.3Bn has sat unused because Trump can't find anyone to go along with his kickback scheme for a piddly 1.3 but add 5 more to that...maybe now "we're talking real money!"
Hey...Ho...!
Why do you think all the major good reputation construction, architectural firms are staying away?

Not to mention there is that minor detail about all those good firms being a little gun shy about not getting paid, because our CiC has a reputation for not paying people. And he is, even now, carrying that into the government sector, by instructing FEMA to cut off promised funds for California wildfire damage, and by threatening to divert disaster relief funds for Puerto Rico to fund his wall, which he might just pull a switcheroo on later as well.
Don't think for one second that he isn't already two steps ahead on what he will do with any wall money he can get his hands on. In fact, that wall money might even end up in Russian hands. Don't be surprised!

With Trump, it's always the same game of Three Card Monty, the same shell game, the same tricked out deck of cards, the same lopsided dice, the same crooked slot machine which always pays off in wooden nickels.

You came because you were told there would be steak and lobster, and instead you were handed a couple of cold Big Macs and some stale fries. Honestly, I am surprised that Donald Trump didn't make those athletes swipe their debit cards on the way out while telling them that their money would go to fund the wall. Seems like he missed an opportunity there! LOL ROTFMOL LOL

#310412 - 01/17/19 04:03 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think it is well past time to acknowledge that Mitch McConnell is incompetent as majority leader. He doesn't represent his own party's majority, much less the country, and he had presided over do-nothing congresses most of his tenure. He can't wrangle votes, can't pass legislation, and is both immoral and anti-democratic. He'll go down in history as one of the least effective leaders the U.S. has ever had.

#310415 - 01/17/19 05:32 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
and yet reporters in the past two years have hailed him as a genius. LOL

yeah I thought at the time these people were extolling his greatness I was still waiting to see him do anything above the required

seems he has abdicated his Constitutional mandate and relinquished it to Mr Trump ... so much for co-equal branches of government

#310452 - 01/18/19 10:54 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was doing something and the news was on. Then I heard; "searching for McConnell". Seems he is now in hiding. I thought that was pretty interesting. The simple fact, however, is that the Republicans simply have no backbone - none. We are told, by Dems serving that many don't agree with whatever. Yah, right.... For instance, they could unelect him has party leader in the Senate but......

If Jackass really gets exposed as the criminal I believe he is, then they are going to have to justify their complete lack of backbone, integrity, honesty, and any kind of morality. If the Dems have a backbone they will attack the hell out of them instead of 'understanding' and civility. All that being said I doubt, very much, if anything will change as we will then be told that "everybody can just get along".

As far as the shutdown is concerned. I think we are very close to a point wherein the whole damned bunch of them (the entire congress) is going to get painted with the same brush and they will all be subject to the complete and utter disgust of the nation. I also suspect that the first side to blink will be the heroes of the day. We are waaaaaay past 'winning' in this one. The entire nation, right now, is raising up to charitably feed the bureaucrats, both working or furloughed, and there is reason for that. I have no idea how its going to end but, when it does, a really bad taste will remain in just about everybody's mouth. Our idiot politicians are going to reap the disgust of the nation. Its just not a good time to be a politician and, if they think they have it bad now, just wait. McConnell is, we are told, "hiding out". He is also running in 2020 and, if the dems can't find somebody good to beat his ass, then they deserve what they get.

My suspicion is that the Dems think that they are winning and putting horrible pressure on Jackass and he must cave before long. The problem is that they think he is normal, he is not. He is, obviously, quite willing to take the entire nation down rather than be seen as losing. If the Republicans had half a mind they would just start actually legislating and ignoring Jackass with veto proof legislation. The Dems would be delighted to do the same thing so all they have to do is shoot McConnell and get on with it. Oh, I forgot, they don't have the backbone and think that might mean they would lose their jobs. If the electorate had a backbone they should all lose their jobs anyway and the Dems aren't far behind. The shutdown, I think, will be long remembered for both sides!

Probably off topic, anyway, there is enough evidence, right now, so that anybody with half a mind can see that Trump is not good for the nation, regardless of party. He has taken the side of Russia to the actual detriment of world order as well as the United States of America. I don't think that anybody doesn't believe that and, if they don't, then they are blind to reality. I can't believe that his supporters don't recognize this but their jobs are more important than their own nation! If they let this go on for a couple more years they will go down in history as the Republican party that destroyed America!

Under Jackass, for instance, it turns out that we have now separated, literally, tens of thousands of children. I watched one report where we exported children back who were under 6 years old without their parents. I have heard from friends in Latin America that their own governments have no idea what to do with a 4 year old dropped off at an airport by Americans. They have thousands in custody and have no record of where they came from, who they were with, who they are, how old they are - NOTHING! The head of Homeland Security just recently announced they are actually going to put a checkbox, on a child's record, if they came in accompanied (there actually is a question, however, as to who they were with, etc). We are, basically, kidnapping children and then selling them off to the highest bidder (well, maybe not, actually nobody knows! (but they have done that before)) One can only wonder about the so-called Christians that support jackass.

#310456 - 01/18/19 11:22 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I bet the pimps in Honduras are mighty happy: They just drive a school bus down to the airport everyday and pick a whole bus full of new "employees". So much for huddled masses.

#310471 - 01/20/19 08:53 PM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I neglected to add that traffickers have been 'rewarded' before:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/us/po...eport-says.html

#310520 - 01/23/19 02:40 AM Re: The Shutdown Is Mitch McConnell's Fault [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is time to retire Mitch McConnell. He needs a primary challenger, as well as a competent Democratic challenger. He is bad for Kentucky, bad for America, and bad for democracy.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2