Current Topics
congress and the administration
by rporter314
Today at 03:28 AM
At ease, disease. Thar’s fungus amongus.
by pondering_it_all
Today at 01:51 AM
Roundtable for April 2019
by pondering_it_all
Today at 01:42 AM
The Mueller Report
by jgw
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
end is nigh
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 04:28 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 04:21 AM
war and other stuff
by jgw
05/19/19 05:17 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by pondering_it_all
05/18/19 07:01 AM
Head of CFPB breaks ranks; tries to do job
by NW Ponderer
05/16/19 03:36 PM
Man kicked off Southwest flight for vodka joke: 'You can’t say anything to anyon
by Golem
05/15/19 10:42 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by jgw
05/15/19 05:55 PM
Sucker Nation
by jgw
05/13/19 09:18 PM
Army Soldier Falls Into Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano After Straining For Better View
by pdx rick
05/09/19 03:05 AM
Sam
by Kaine
05/06/19 11:52 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/03/19 07:57 PM
Impeach
by jgw
04/30/19 09:07 PM
White House birthday tweet for Melania becomes instant meme
by pdx rick
04/30/19 05:15 AM
Leader of armed militia that held migrants arrested on weapons charges
by pdx rick
04/27/19 12:51 PM
We Finally Learned What a Year in Space Did to Astronaut Scott Kelly's Body
by pondering_it_all
04/24/19 08:50 AM
I wonder............
by jgw
04/22/19 06:55 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16552 Topics
285656 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#310953 - 02/14/19 11:44 PM Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
How many Trump supporters would back him up if said he was declaring abortion illegal due to "national emergency"?

All marijuana legalization laws cancelled and pot declared a major felony due to a "national emergency"

Social Security permanently suspended due to "national emergency"?

VA hospitals shut down permanently due to "national emergency"?

What about striking ALL EPA pollution regulations due to "national emergency"?

Full repeal and cancellation of all aspects of the ACA due to "national emergency?

What if he decided to cancel the 2020 elections on "national emergency" grounds?

If he gets to use this toy once, I guarantee you he'll use it once a week from now on.

#310955 - 02/15/19 02:38 AM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Perhaps he can call liberals a national emergency and declare himself president for life and the Constitution null and void.

I think there may be problems in court with this national emergency thing.

#310956 - 02/15/19 04:22 AM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
When the Secret Service drops him off at the psychiatric hospital, he'll realize he isn't king. Or maybe not. Maybe that will be his delusion for the rest of his life.

#310959 - 02/15/19 07:55 AM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: pondering_it_all]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The National Emergencies Act (NEA) (Pub.L. 94–412, 90 Stat. 1255, enacted September 14, 1976, codified at 50 U.S.C. § 1601–1651) is a United States federal law passed to stop open-ended states of national emergency and formalize the power of Congress to provide certain checks and balances on the emergency powers of the President.
Wikipedia Note the date. It was enacted in response to Richard Nixon's abuses.
Quote:
Congress can undo a state of emergency declaration with either a joint resolution and the President's signature, or with a veto-proof majority vote.[1]

#310960 - 02/15/19 01:48 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
The strange origin of The Wall as a political issue (hint - it did not begin as a national emergency).
'The Wall' as a mnemonic device for a stupid man

Quote:
Donald Trump’s plan to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border did not come from security analysts following years of study or through evidence that a wall would reduce illegal immigration. Amazingly, for something so central to the current U.S. president, the wall came about as a “mnemonic device” thought up by a pair of political consultants to remind Donald Trump to talk about illegal immigration.

In 2014, Trump’s plan to run for president moved into high gear. His political confidant was consultant Roger Stone. “Inside Trump’s circle, the power of illegal immigration to manipulate popular sentiment was readily apparent, and his advisers brainstormed methods for keeping their attention-addled boss on message,” writes Joshua Green, author of Devil’s Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Nationalist Uprising. “They needed a trick, a mnemonic device. In the summer of 2014, they found one that clicked.”

The concept of the Wall did not click right away with the candidate. “Initially, Trump seemed indifferent to the idea,” writes Green. “But in January 2015, he tried it out at the Iowa Freedom Summit, a presidential cattle call put on by David Bossie’s group, Citizens United. ‘One of his pledges was, ‘I will build a Wall,’ and the place just went nuts,’ said Nunberg. Warming to the concept, Trump waited a beat and then added a flourish that brought down the house. ‘Nobody,’ he said, ‘builds like Trump.’”

King Kon, indeed!

#310961 - 02/15/19 04:15 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Congress can undo a state of emergency declaration with either a joint resolution and the President's signature, or with a veto-proof majority vote.[1]

Looks like we're gettin' a wall.

#310963 - 02/15/19 05:39 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
On the bright side is that everybody in congress will get a chance to weigh in on record. In other words they must identify themselves as being for the constitution or against. Hopefully, next election, those voting, basically against the constitution, will be on record as such. (Mitch, for instance, will lay himself wide open for a REAL battle next time around)

#310964 - 02/15/19 05:39 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Can anyone imagine a Democrat president making a call for a national emergency on the grounds of national security and associated number of deaths? How could the courts possibly reject it?

O did I mention gun control?

#310970 - 02/15/19 07:18 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
And, as it turns out, he admits that he "didn't need to do this" (that "nashul 'merginsey stuff") , he just wanted to get it done quicker.

Not only has Trump just "kneecapped his own case for a national emergency", but as far as George Conway is concerned:

"I didn't need to do this" should be the first sentence of the first paragraph of every complaint filed this afternoon. ouch

George Conway on Twitter

DoJ lawyers watching this who will have to defend the emergency decree:

LOL ROTFMOL ROTFMOL LOL

#310971 - 02/15/19 09:56 PM Re: Trump's New Toy - NATIONAL EMERGENCY [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I'm sure it will be, and time and again courts have looked at Trump's own statements and tweets to determine his state of mind. He has a very bad record any time he goes to court, but I suppose this could actually be part of his strategy: "I tried, but the Liberal judges wouldn't let me." He's off the hook for something that costs a lot and would prove totally ineffective.

The funny thing here is that conservative judges are even more likely to call an end run around the House's Power of the Purse unconstitutional. Even so, there would be some benefits if the Supreme Court saying he can do it. Because in just two years, the new Democratic dictator can do all kinds of wonderful things by executive order and National Emergency decree: Strong gun control, Medicare for All, the New Green Deal, for starters. How about an end to gerrymandering? Legal weed? Free abortion in every state and territory? It would be a tremendous windfall.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2