by Greger
Yesterday at 04:39 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
Yesterday at 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
The Departed - 2019
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/12/19 04:51 AM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
Hyper-partisanship and irrationality
by NW Ponderer
10/10/19 04:10 AM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
NRA acted as "foreign asset" for Russia ahead of 2016 election, Senate report cl
by Greger
10/07/19 02:19 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by jgw
10/06/19 08:05 PM
Quinnipiac Loves Liz Warren
by perotista
10/03/19 02:46 PM
Fixing Social Security
by jgw
10/02/19 07:58 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16711 Topics
290762 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#310735 - 02/04/19 03:10 PM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pondering_it_all]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a strong political current underlying the sturm und drang here:

First, the Lieutenant Governor is black, and could well be the next Governor. Black leaders eye his elevation as a coup, revenge for Stacy Abrams' and Gillum's losses. Moreover, if he rises to the governorship, he can run again as an incumbent, which can't otherwise happen in Virginia because it has a one-term limit on governors. Kind of a political two-fer.

Second, there is a movement of better-than-thou-ism in the Democratic party that is deathly afraid of the "they're equally bad" argument usually floated in conservative/reactionary circles to excuse abhorrent behavior. They do have a point. Hypocrisy is a threat to aspiration, but there is a pile of wet babies that have been discarded under that mantra. They are still stinging from Bill Clinton's peccadilloes. It's the same instinct, though, that causes the silly criticism of anyone who describes a black candidate as "articulate". IT'S A COMPLIMENT, PEOPLE,!!

Third, racial stereotyping is an insidious disease, and blackface is is most virulent legacy. The deliberate offense in its modern use is as offensive as confederate monuments, the stars and bars, and nooses. In today's world is a declaration of white solidarity and brown otherism. It is a hate crime. But in 1984, at frats, in the south, it was commonplace and unthinking. Those who say, "This wasn't the thirties, forties, fifties or sixties" forget how backward Virginia has been, and how recently it has been woke. How recently we've all been woke.

And, finally, the left is in a hurry to fix what's wrong and get progressive leaders in place now. North is a centrist. Fairfax is everything progressives want: Eyes On Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax To Heal Va. As Northam Resists Calls To Resign
(npr).
Quote:
Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax is a lot of things Virginia's current governor is not: young, charismatic and part of a multicultural wave sweeping through the commonwealth's Democratic party.
He's principled, charismatic, articulate, and young - in short, an ideal leader of the future. They just can't wait for him to be king.

#310740 - 02/04/19 08:09 PM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pdx rick]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
In the 80's blackface was frowned upon almost as much as it is now. The only difference is people are now being called on it. I remember it being brought up in race relations classes.

Vote 2020

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#310741 - 02/04/19 08:59 PM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
The governor never wore the sort of blackface in the year book.
Apparently he was quite the dancer in his day though, and once darkened his face for a Michael Jackson dance routine.

Michael Jackeson lightened his face for the same routine.

#310742 - 02/04/19 11:50 PM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was told by both my grandmother and my father that we had Indian (feather) blood running in our veins. Everybody was very proud of that (except for my grandmother as my grandfather tended to have friends of the opposite sex that were Indian). Anyway, my wife had my DNA tested and it turns out that I am PURE WHITE! Northern European and Irish.

Broke my heart <sigh>

#310744 - 02/05/19 12:30 AM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone noticed the active disinformation campaign going on on Faux News against Fairfax? Three times just today I've read misleading, even false, headlines (based upon the story) trying to gin up a scandal about a previously discredited 15 years ago claim that could not be substantiated as credible.

#310746 - 02/05/19 12:56 AM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jgw
I was told by both my grandmother and my father that we had Indian (feather) blood running in our veins. Everybody was very proud of that (except for my grandmother as my grandfather tended to have friends of the opposite sex that were Indian). Anyway, my wife had my DNA tested and it turns out that I am PURE WHITE! Northern European and Irish.

Broke my heart <sigh>
If I may unbreak your heart. I've been doing a lot of DNA genealogical study and it would not be unusual for a particular line of DNA to go missing after a few generations. While some traits may continue, others may disappear. I can demonstrate it imprecisely, and only generally, but mathematically and statistically:

Assume for the moment that you get 100% of your DNA from your parents, but the ratio is not 50:50. For each "trait" you have a 50% chance of passing it along. By the 2nd generation, there is only a 25% chance of a particular marker being passed along. 12.5% in the next generation. By the time you get to great grandparents, it is far more likely that a particular trait NOT be passed on, than that you receive it. Of course, that does not take into account dominant and recessive genes, but it makes the point. I have 4th cousins that I share 6 "centiMorgans"* with that my sister shares 30 with, as a direct example. It may be you just didn't get those feathery genes. I've got an Irish name and multiple relatives on that line with similar migration patterns, most of the rest from Germany - on both sides - yet AncestryDNA says I'm less than 4% "Irish", and 84% "English".

* A centiMorgan (cM) is a unit of measure for DNA. It tells you how much DNA you share with another match. In general, the more DNA you share with a match the higher the cM number will be and the more closely related you are. Your DNA Guide.

#310747 - 02/05/19 01:47 AM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Even if you have a dominant gene for something, your other copy of that gene may be recessive. Any of your children have a 50% chance of getting the dominant copy and a 50% chance of getting the recessive copy. All gene transmission works this way. Dominant versus recessive is just about your phenotype, meaning how that gene is expressed. With some genes a dominant version will make some protein and it doesn't matter if the recessive copy doesn't make it or makes an ineffective version. In other genes. a dominant gene will make some protein that blocks a normal pathway, even if a recessive copy makes the right protein. And in some cases, both copies can make something different. That's the case with blood type where each gene copy can be A, B, or O. So you can be AA, AO, BB, BO, AB, or OO. But AO and BO just look like A and B, respectively.

#310749 - 02/05/19 02:20 AM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know...BO always bothered me...

True story, my twin brother and I have different blood types. My dad was O, mom AB, so each kid is unique. Blood banks love us.

#310754 - 02/05/19 02:30 PM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
What do you get when BO is combined with B?

BOB... who is yer Uncle.

#310772 - 02/06/19 09:12 AM Re: Political Correctness wrong amok [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
O is the absence of A or B, so you twins must be AO and BO. My sympathy to the BO twin. grin

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Greger), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2