Current Topics
congress and the administration
by rporter314
28 minutes 31 seconds ago
At ease, disease. Thar’s fungus amongus.
by pondering_it_all
Today at 01:51 AM
Roundtable for April 2019
by pondering_it_all
Today at 01:42 AM
The Mueller Report
by jgw
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
end is nigh
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 04:28 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 04:21 AM
war and other stuff
by jgw
05/19/19 05:17 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2019
by pondering_it_all
05/18/19 07:01 AM
Head of CFPB breaks ranks; tries to do job
by NW Ponderer
05/16/19 03:36 PM
Man kicked off Southwest flight for vodka joke: 'You can’t say anything to anyon
by Golem
05/15/19 10:42 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by jgw
05/15/19 05:55 PM
Sucker Nation
by jgw
05/13/19 09:18 PM
Army Soldier Falls Into Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano After Straining For Better View
by pdx rick
05/09/19 03:05 AM
Sam
by Kaine
05/06/19 11:52 AM
Trump wanted to free illegal immigrants in sanctuary cities
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/03/19 07:57 PM
Impeach
by jgw
04/30/19 09:07 PM
White House birthday tweet for Melania becomes instant meme
by pdx rick
04/30/19 05:15 AM
Leader of armed militia that held migrants arrested on weapons charges
by pdx rick
04/27/19 12:51 PM
We Finally Learned What a Year in Space Did to Astronaut Scott Kelly's Body
by pondering_it_all
04/24/19 08:50 AM
I wonder............
by jgw
04/22/19 06:55 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16552 Topics
285656 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#311987 - 04/20/19 07:07 PM I wonder............
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I wonder. What would happen if the congress legislated a law which made it illegal for any news source to disseminate a lie regardless of who said it. If said news source did this then they would be fined, say, 10,000.00 per lie. This would mean, for instance, that before any Jackass remarks were disseminated they would first have to be truth checked. This would, admittedly, be a bit uncomfortable for the news agencies and, maybe, slow down the 'breaking' news by maybe 15 minutes. They could actually track such lies and devote a weekly show to such lies.

On the other hand the wholesale lies, fantasies, and all the rest of the of the so-called news (approximately 50% pure bullshit would no longer be inflicted on the obviously deluded and confused public). It would also mean that media would be forced to, perhaps, give us news rather than rampant speculation and baloney currently considered 'news'.

I can hear the media screaming to high heaven about the public's right to the news. I, for one, do not consider lies to be anything but lies and certainly not news.

If we are determined to have a so-called capitalist society then we sure as hell need regulations to deal with the attendant greed therein. (I am not against capitalism but also believe sane regulation to also be needed as part of the whole deal).

Thoughts?

Edited by jgw (04/20/19 07:10 PM)

#311989 - 04/20/19 10:31 PM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Who is to regulate? Side A would think their regulators were awesome, truthful, and otherwise spanky clean.

Insert the inverse for side B. Then factor in.. Even if that were to happen both sides would be pissed off regarding the outcome. “Only my side should win!!"

We're phuqued..

#311990 - 04/20/19 10:34 PM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Thoughts?

1st Amendment

#311991 - 04/21/19 02:16 AM Re: I wonder............ [Re: rporter314]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
1st Amendment

That about sums it up.

I'm all about big government doing big things but Truth Police banging at the door would be overkill.

If the Grammar Nazis ever came into power, jgw, your ass would be Gulaged because you've used the (non)word irregardless too many times...

I don't care what you or anyone else might imagine, it encompasses a double negative and is grammatically null and void.

#311992 - 04/21/19 03:01 AM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Besides, they would just say: "President Trump lied today when he said blah blah blah...". That would actually be true! He did say that and it was a lie. I think most people know everything Trump bothers to say in public is a lie. So it's a bit redundant to have to put "liar lied" in front of every Trump story. Same goes for Sarah, Kelly Anne, etc.

Watching Sarah is actually rather entertaining. What is she going to come up with next? Always fun! Sort of the unreliable narrator genre from literature, transposed into real life. I think some PR organization should give out awards for the most creative lies.

#311998 - 04/21/19 04:56 PM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Yep - first amendment Forgot about that one <G>

There has to be some way to control the media as they cannot, obviously, control themselves. My wife was watching Sunday politics. Rudy was on, doing his lie about everything thing. Out of, maybe 5 lies he was called on one and then allowed to spew his poison with nary a question by the interviewer. Then he was gone and Nadler was interviewed. It was strange. The interviewer was constantly interrupting him with questions which were more statement than question. I see this crap all the time. I do not forget, for instance, that our mighty media were actually (as far as I and many others are concerned) responsible for him as they gave him, we were told, something like 2 billion dollars of free exposure. Not only that but it continues to this day. If they had any sence of responsibility they would, at the very least, when broadcasting a Trump speech, delay for a couple of minutes so they can, on the bottom of the screen, tell viewers if a given statement was true or false. Its simply crazy. It seems that the left is considered fair game, by the media - pester, interrupt, etc. is the way with them. Then Trump appears and, whilst they are getting better, are still giving him waaaaay too much free time to spew poison.

I guess where I am going is that there is free speech and dangerous speech (yelling "fire" in a crowd when there is none is an example, I have been told, as an exception to free speech). The constant bombardment of lies, as far as I am concerned, should also qualify.

My concern is that I have little faith in the America voting public. They seem to be easily bamboozled and need some kind of protection from craven, lying, self servers working their cons on the American public. The United States and New Zealand are the ONLY two countries, in the world, that allow pharmaceutical advertising. The excuse is that they are controlled by the FDA which is currently being run by a professional pharmaceutical lobbyist. Doctors have requested such advertising stops as have others over the years. The pharmaceutical industry, however, has pretty much bought the congress (as have banks, privatizers, oil, etc) What makes this even more interesting is that this goes on regardless of party in power. Seems our elected are determined to make hay whilst the sun shines no matter who gets hurt.

I wonder if there is a list of what is held sacred and not touchable due to 'support' given (sometimes referred to as bribes in some quarters)

The other day they were interviewing Trump supporters. One said something like; "he is the most despicable man on the face of the earth but I still support him".

Interesting times..............

#312009 - 04/22/19 04:17 AM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I think telling lies about Muslims in America IS shouting "FIRE" in a crowded theater, when our Muslim Congresswomen get death threats. Sort of like Alex Jones and his Sandy Hook slander suit.

#312015 - 04/22/19 06:55 PM Re: I wonder............ [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I agree and would extend to ALL lies. The other night I heard people suggesting that TV cuts down on speculation (a good idea) but never mentioned lies. This drives me nuts. Its my understanding, for instance, that in the UK, lies in politics is not allowed and them that do it can be sued. Trump has called for 'fixing' the slander laws and I am all for that (it would not serve him well! <g>). The business that, seemingly, if speech has anything to do with a public figure all bets are off is crazy. I think we need some new laws about this stuff. I remember when both the Democrats AND Republicans (when each ruled congress) tried to pass a truth in political ads (put the sponsor's real names on the ads) and BOTH failed (in the case of the Democrats the unions were against it).

People who lie, especially in public settings, need to be regulated. I have no idea how to do that but a good start would be fixing the slander laws.

We also need to change the laws for them that hold private information data. I remember the argument against making such folks; banks, gov, businesses, etc., responsible for the data they hold. The argument against that was pretty simple. People are in charge of their own data. If they give such data to somebody then that was their choice and not the fault of the external holder. Flawless logic! It simply ignores the fact that them holding demands the info or they won't do business. If, however, we had such a law all this business of private data dumps, hacks, etc. would go away real quick. I think the most egregious of these was the Equifax thing.

Its kinda interesting. We used to have a kindofa agreement as to what was correct and what was not. When somebody did what was not they got jumped on by all. Then Trump came and standardized bad behavior. I still don't understand how that even happened but, now, anybody can seemingly do anything. This being the case I would support laws to regulate such behavior (easy to say and, I suspect, a LOT harder to do). That being said lies and slander would probably be a place to start. My fear is that such would be poorly written, seriously need tweaks, which would start a whole new 'debate'. I remember when Obama tried to fix Obamacare. Republicans wouldn't allow it.

Even more interesting was the simple fact that Obamacare was actually starting a downward curve to health costs. Standardizing health data and software was also coming along. Now its all back to chaos and, as far as I can tell, all the data on what works, outcomes, etc. has just gone up in smoke.

Anyway..............

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2