by Greger
Yesterday at 04:39 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
Yesterday at 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
The Departed - 2019
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/12/19 04:51 AM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
Hyper-partisanship and irrationality
by NW Ponderer
10/10/19 04:10 AM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
NRA acted as "foreign asset" for Russia ahead of 2016 election, Senate report cl
by Greger
10/07/19 02:19 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by jgw
10/06/19 08:05 PM
Quinnipiac Loves Liz Warren
by perotista
10/03/19 02:46 PM
Fixing Social Security
by jgw
10/02/19 07:58 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16711 Topics
290762 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#313540 - 08/12/19 11:54 PM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I can still do 5 star sudokus, even with some holes in my brain. I just can't spell sudoku right without looking it up! Thank God for Google.

OMG I used to win spelling bees and now I'm running to "The Goo Goo" 3 or 4 X a day!

The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#313694 - 08/14/19 01:59 PM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is so good to see so many old friends again. I've been neglecting RR for a bit, but I'm jazzed now. I am also in catch up mode - whoda thunk? But I'll be playing catch soon.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#313733 - 08/14/19 09:57 PM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: flyover country
This might be a high jacking of It's thread, but - I'm not sure I'm going to stick around very long. I've seen linked stuff today that made me wash my hands and clear my history. I'm not sure my brain wants exposure to such dreck.

Still thinking but, really, neoNazis? I expected change when I wandered back in, and I'm aware that My choices are tolerate or leave again. I'm thinking.

#313735 - 08/14/19 10:18 PM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: Mellowicious]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mellowicious
This might be a high jacking of It's thread, but - I'm not sure I'm going to stick around very long. I've seen linked stuff today that made me wash my hands and clear my history. I'm not sure my brain wants exposure to such dreck.

Still thinking but, really, neoNazis? I expected change when I wandered back in, and I'm aware that My choices are tolerate or leave again. I'm thinking.

Julia, the marketplace of ideas is large and sometimes host to overweening expressions of ideas which many find unpleasant.
But as someone near and dear once said:
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Without you, we lose yet one more branch that bends toward justice.
You ARE the change, you ARE the hope.
I truly do hope that you will reconsider, stay and help us rebuild the Rant. I am still actively recruiting and I hope to also bring in new and fresh Ranters who fill out the empty places and invigorate our home.

Please consider sticking around.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#313740 - 08/14/19 10:55 PM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
Mellowicious Offline
veteran

Loc: flyover country
Jeffery, the marketplace of ideas may be large but some of its offerings are abhorrent. Whether or not I want them as part of my life is a judgment call on my part. I'm not suggesting the Rant should change; I'm suggesting I don't really want those materials, in my life. Now that I know they are a (pseudo)legitimate part of the rant, I can choose whether to read it or avoid it. This one caught me by surprise.

I'm still thinking, as I said.

#313774 - 08/15/19 03:59 AM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, please, please stay, mellow.

I joined the retiree community five years ago, waaay too early for my age. My honey, however, is disabled and (slightly) older than me, and I truly wanted to get as much out of our life as we could while we could. We bought a small RV which we have used to travel over 62,000 miles over the last 4 1/2 years (it's been fantastic!). It has, however, taken awhile for me to get my orientation in the new lifestyle without the constant demands and imposed order of the working life.

Now that I have, however, my honey wants to change it up and move into a retirement community. She wants to "downsize"! I feel like we finally have room to move around within our own home! I barely qualify for "over 55" communities, and I am nowhere near ready to jump into a CCRC. Soooo...

Instead of the expense of a CCRC (at least for now), I have convinced her to spend money on fixing up the house we're in (new roof, new fence, landscaping) so we can enjoy it, and get outside help and resources in the community. She finally (after 5 years of nagging) acceded to hiring a housekeeper! We joined our city's "Senior Activity Center" (the average age is easily 15 years older than us), but there are activities and classes and groups we can participate in (although I have yet to find a motorcycle riding partner... durn). I have signed up to be a volunteer, although I warned them I may become unavailable for stretches of time (especially as the election gets closer).

For years now my primary source for political discussion has been the Rant. Neither my son nor my wife puts up with it much, and I have to turn off the news whenever they enter the room (seriously, they insist!). You, my friends, are my lifeline and my sanity, even if some of you are off your rockers! wink

#313777 - 08/15/19 04:04 AM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I agree wholheartedly. The world is much better with Mellowicious in it.

#313890 - 08/16/19 11:05 AM Re: The Challenge of Returning [Re: itstarted]
BC Offline
veteran

Loc: ...Grand Ledge...
Had to look up serial 7s after it occurred to me it was here that I first heard of that challenge. I donít recall the gentleman who mentioned it to me - Spence? From the Seattle area?

Anyway, itís the sort of thing I do in the middle of the night if I canít sleep...all sorts of math exercises. Wifey thinks Iím crazy.

As I told Spence(?) at the time, be careful because counting back by 7s leads to all sorts of negativity if you donít know when to stop... grin

Edited by BC (08/16/19 11:06 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (Greger), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2