by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16715 Topics
291000 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#313462 - 08/11/19 09:50 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Loc: MN
That the states were guilty of racial discrimination is a reason to not let any government be too powerful. It is the genius of our Constitution that gives our federal government the authority to enforce it when necessary. The "conservatives' who wrote, passed, and enforced segregation laws did so in violation of our Constitution. Segregation cannot exist without government approval and support.
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place, oblige it to control itself." James Madison
The state governments did not control themselves. The idea that they could or would is why we have elections. However, when one political party, Democrats, controls state governments for decades the denial of a person's natural rights can and did happen.

#313463 - 08/11/19 09:54 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: pdx rick]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
pdx rick did you run before you could walk? No, you did not. Just as you did not run before you could walk our government could not run, implement the radical ideas of freedom as widely as they are now, before it could walk. So for you to criticize our government's supposed failure to implement the radical ideas of freedom is at best 20/20 hindsight. At worst it is the ridiculous idea that someone could run before they could walk.

If the idea that the white man had inalienable rights, it would logically follow that women did too, and so did children, and so did slaves - basically everyone else also too had these same inalienable rights.

...but, because those "keep the status quo" aka "conserve and preserve" ideals got into the way - that didn't happen. smile

To assume that governments would act in a logical way is to expect that which cannot happen. All governments are run by human beings, who rarely behave logically.

#313470 - 08/11/19 10:35 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
To assume that governments would act in a logical way is to expect that which cannot happen. All governments are run by human beings, who rarely behave logically.

No, ALL governments, until very recently, have been run by white patriarchal men. THAT was a problem.

smile

#313471 - 08/11/19 10:37 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

...Segregation cannot exist without government approval and support. .

Correct - and that hasn't happened since American government has became more progressive, inclusive, and diverse.

smile

#313472 - 08/11/19 10:40 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

However, when one political party, Democrats, controls state governments for decades the denial of a person's natural rights can and did happen.

If you're speaking to southern Democratic states, why do you insist on not telling the full story - that these states were run by Conservative Democrats?

Hmm

#313475 - 08/11/19 10:50 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

ISIS or American Conservative?

Theocracy for government
Holy book as Science
Their religion is the only real one
Become violent when others speak against them
Guns solve everything
Accept only their own 'kind'

Hmm

Here is another example of pdx rick's ignorance. I'm an atheist.

If you are, you're dead meat if Trump 2020 "payback mode" kicks in.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#313477 - 08/11/19 11:12 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Here is another example of pdx rick's ignorance.

I didn't see anywhere that rick said Senator Hatrack was any sort of religion. He was actually talking about Evangelicals within the Conservative community trying to impose theocracy on everyone else, in spite of their religious or atheist beliefs. As an atheist, this should concern the Senator a lot more than the rest of us who let everyone believe we are nominally Christian.

This seems to be a major disconnect: We have Freedom of Religion right there in the Constitution, yet even though they insist that Atheism is a religion, they want to discriminate against them. For that matter, a lot of them want to discriminate against Jews and Muslims as well.

#313480 - 08/11/19 11:40 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
For that matter, a lot of them want to discriminate against Jews and Muslims as well.

It's interesting to me that the American Evangelical will insist that Christianity is not one of the three Abrahamic religions, when, in fact it is.

American evangelicals are loathe to admit any connection to Islam, when there are many connections between the two religions.

#313481 - 08/11/19 11:41 PM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Here is another example of pdx rick's ignorance. I'm an atheist.

So you check the rest of the boxes? smile Sorry that I #Trigger you, bro. My bad. Hmm

#313490 - 08/12/19 12:36 AM Re: This is American Conservatism [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Quote:

If you are, you're dead meat if Trump 2020 "payback mode" kicks in.

As someone is actively involved in Trump's reelection campaign, no I am not.

Page 5 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2