by chunkstyle
09:07 PM
RoundTable for Fall 2019
by pdx rick
04:02 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
The Trump/Biden/Ukraine thing
by pdx rick
10/12/19 06:38 PM
The Departed - 2019
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/12/19 04:51 AM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
Hyper-partisanship and irrationality
by NW Ponderer
10/10/19 04:10 AM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
NRA acted as "foreign asset" for Russia ahead of 2016 election, Senate report cl
by Greger
10/07/19 02:19 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by jgw
10/06/19 08:05 PM
Quinnipiac Loves Liz Warren
by perotista
10/03/19 02:46 PM
Fixing Social Security
by jgw
10/02/19 07:58 PM
Here we go again!
by jgw
10/02/19 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16710 Topics
290690 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#314436 - 08/29/19 01:38 AM Re: Good bye? [Re: logtroll]
Senator Hatrack Online   happy

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
[quote=Senator Hatrack]Long before the Laffer Curve was created cutting taxes raised government revenue.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/20...g/#64465fc8799e

You are equating tariffs with income taxes.

No, I am not. Tariffs and income taxes have been used as sources of government revenue. The example I posted shows that when governments cut taxes, whether they are tariffs or on income, their revenue goes up.

Except you ignored my request for an example of cutting income taxes causing revenues to got up.

Let's make it easy - use the most recent income tax cut to show how it has increased revenues.

Rather than cite just one example of how tax cuts have increased government revenues I suggest you read the book For Good and Evil The Impact of Taxes on the Course of Civilization. It tells how tax cuts have increased government revenues since the ancient Sumerians.

#314437 - 08/29/19 01:40 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos

An objective person does not take one sentence out of a page long article in an attempt to prove their point. Doing so is known as cherry picking or taken a quote out of context.

An objective person answers simple, direct questions honestly and with integrity. You should experiment with that occasionally.

#314439 - 08/29/19 01:47 AM Re: Good bye? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Rather than cite just one example of how tax cuts have increased government revenues I suggest you read the book For Good and Evil The Impact of Taxes on the Course of Civilization. It tells how tax cuts have increased government revenues since the ancient Sumerians.

So you are rebutted by the current tax cut. Interesting...

#314441 - 08/29/19 01:54 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: logtroll]

An objective person does not take one sentence out of a page long article in an attempt to prove their point. Doing so is known as cherry picking or taken a quote out of context.

An objective person answers simple, direct questions honestly and with integrity. You should experiment with that occasionally.

An objective person does not completely ignore a person's long and detailed reply to another person's comment as you did logtroll.

#314442 - 08/29/19 02:02 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

And you canít answer a simple question. Does your deflection and obfuscation work on anyone?

#314446 - 08/29/19 02:40 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: Senator Hatrack]

#314447 - 08/29/19 04:53 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: Senator Hatrack]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:

The context was an insinuation hit job with only the single sentence which bore direct evidence to refute your specious claim. So in this case it was not cherry picking. It was in fact the essence of the entire piece.

Originally Posted By: Investor's Business Daily
The Hillary Clinton-led Democrats have been a party in denial, first asserting that winning the popular vote ó and not the Electoral College ó should give them the election last year, then claiming Donald Trump won only through the social-media machinations of mysterious Russian officials, and then believing Trump should be impeached solely because he is, well, Donald Trump.

This is a whole paragraph which will demonstrate what I say.

I have not heard of anyone making the claim winning the popular vote SHOULD give them anything. I have heard (and this has been going around for a number of years, before anyone ever heard of Mr Trump) people try to make the case we should abandon the electoral system as it no longer reflects the American electorate.

I have not heard of a single person who has claimed Russian meddling was THE major factor which led to Mr Trump's electoral victory. What a few people have said is, Russian meddling probably influenced a few voters but it is unknown what the extent was. Far more impactful was Dir Comey's announcement Sec Clinton was under investigation just 11 days before the election. Of course if you believe Mr Trump's lies then Dir Comey's announcement was a rather nefarious plot perpetrated by the DEEP STATE to get Sec Clinton elected. This is so delusional I can't wrap my head around it.

Absolutely no one has ever suggested Mr Trump should be impeached because he is Mr Trump. They have suggested he be impeached for what he has done. These are not policy disputes as was the case with Pres Obama, but personal actions taken by Mr Trump which would result in indictments if he were not the occupant of the WH.

This citation is an example of fallacious use of opinion as fact.

#314449 - 08/29/19 07:01 AM Re: Good bye? Nope! I'm sticking Around! [Re: Senator Hatrack]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I suspect, my friend, that you are unaware that virtually everything in that year old editorial is factually inaccurate, and the conclusion is nonsensical. Federal revenues went up 1.2 percent, but that had virtually nothing to do with the tax cut, as it had barely gone into effect and hadn't affected tax revenues at all, yet. Trump tax cuts did little to boost economic growth in 2018, study says (CNBC). "The economists say that for the tax cuts to pay for themselves, as Trump has promised, GDP would have to rise by 6.7%."
Quote:
While the Congressional Budget Office had forecast a $94 billion break that still would have generated $243 billion in corporate revenues, the actual total was $205 billion, or 16% lower than projected.
Cold, hard facts trump fantastical editorial spin every time.

#314450 - 08/29/19 01:09 PM Re: Good bye? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I suggest you look at these graphs and tell me why, in these times of extended historically low tax rates, that we are amassing debt at a record rate?

#314456 - 08/29/19 02:45 PM Re: Good bye? [Re: Senator Hatrack]

I am leaving. This is my last comment. The reason I have decided to leave is the hatred for Pres. Trump. While I am not a big fan of Trump I do not hate him. I don't hate anybody, especially someone I've never met. I don't need the negativity of the hatred for Trump that permeates the CHBRR in my life. Nor do I need or want to argue with a group of people who live in an impenetrable ideological cocoon. People who refuse to even consider that they might be wrong.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2