by jgw
04:52 PM
What's the Democratic Party doing?
by jgw
04:51 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
12:31 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
09:34 PM
covid-19 cure
by jgw
06:53 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pondering_it_all
12:43 AM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
12:38 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by jgw
07/09/20 07:30 PM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
07/08/20 11:07 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16961 Topics
301132 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319480 - 12/30/19 09:04 PM Re: College debt [Re: Greger]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The current Secretary of Education is Betsy DeVoss. One of her accomplishments is owning at least two 110+ foot yachts. Her goal, so far, as far as I can tell, is to do away with public education. I have also noticed that school districts she has messed with have all, pretty much, failed. The woman loves charter schools that don't seem to be regulated by the state with some pretty bad results.

This one I find interesting in that all of this is rarely reported. Well, as a matter of fact very little is being reported about what Trump appointees are 'accomplishing'. Instead we have been gifted with regular Trump offenses, failures and lies, etc. Its, basically, an unending offense against what I tend to support, ie. environment, public schools, highways, etc. Its kinda like a failed TV series that nobody really watches but advertisers continue to support anyway. I consider getting rid of that to be the main reason not to vote for Trump as I am just tired of it all. Just blather, more blather, and little else but, obviously loved by those in charge of TV.

The college debt thing remains interesting. China, for instance, figured it out and has started to REALLY produce PHD's Those getting educated in stuff the state wants gets educated for free. Its also of possible interest that China has now become a place to get educated for the right price. All this is accompanied with China doing their own research, and, in some fields jumping ahead of the crowd (small nuclear reactors amongst other things). Basically, they found that that its easier to do it themselves rather than steal it from others. I should mention that Canada too offers free education for those who want to learn stuff that Canada needs. The United States kinda does that but not much. We are, in other words, because of apparent greed, starting to fall behind in a number of areas.

I mention this because of thoughts on college debt and free higher education. Those for "free" higher education don't seem to have any stuff dealing with qualifications, keeping up grades, what the nation needs, etc. Only that gov will pay for EVERYBODY! I continue to wonder where all that money is going to come from. OH, there was also a kindofa study about why our higher education is so expensive. Seems that administration of that field has become a LOT better paid than in the past.

I would point out, yet again, that payments on our existing nation debt will, in the next couple of years, suck up so much money that all the free stuff will become impossible along with a lot of other services currently being underwritten by gov. There is no secret about this but nobody seems to give a damn.

On reflection "Don't give a damn" should be a national bumper sticker.

#319481 - 12/31/19 12:02 AM Re: College debt [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Of course, any of these ideas are impossible until we dump Trump's anti-agency agency heads. It's not just Education: It's pretty much every single person he has appointed. His skepticism of expertise means he picks contributors or just general crack-pots to run our government. I think he worries about anybody who might be saner or smarter than himself.

#319482 - 12/31/19 12:52 AM Re: College debt [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I think he worries about anybody who might be saner or smarter than himself.

Maybe in some cases, but many of his appointments purchased their bestowments, which is probably more his style of being transactional.

#319516 - 12/31/19 07:56 PM Re: College debt [Re: logtroll]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
One can only wonder where the payments went?

#319517 - 12/31/19 08:16 PM Re: College debt [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Of course, any of these ideas are impossible until we dump Trump's anti-agency agency heads.

They were possible under Obama.
They were possible during the Bush administration.
Bill Clinton could have done it.

Any of these ideas are impossible until we elect a progressive government.

#319567 - 01/02/20 03:20 AM Re: College debt [Re: Greger]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
Of course, any of these ideas are impossible until we dump Trump's anti-agency agency heads.

They were possible under Obama.
They were possible during the Bush administration.
Bill Clinton could have done it.

Any of these ideas are impossible until we elect a progressive government.

Thinking about it, the last agency head I can remember who was hired because he knew the job was C Everett Coop back in the Reagan years.

#319572 - 01/02/20 05:20 AM Re: College debt [Re: Mellowicious]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
True, but the agency heads are usually not trying to sabotage their agency. Bush 2 did that a bit, but nothing like Trump. Just look at Barr: Implying the FBI is filled with scoundrels.

#319724 - 01/06/20 07:39 PM Re: College debt [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
True, but the agency heads are usually not trying to sabotage their agency. Bush 2 did that a bit, but nothing like Trump. Just look at Barr: Implying the FBI is filled with scoundrels.

Regulatory capture is truly a Republican phenomenon, and with Trump, it is now done openly and with impunity.

#319840 - 01/10/20 01:11 AM Re: College debt [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas

Regulatory capture is truly a Republican phenomenon, and with Trump, it is now done openly and with impunity.

Regulatory Capture does not care which party is in the White House - it happens with both. Mostly what changes is the pace at which the space available to capture expands.

#319841 - 01/10/20 01:15 AM Re: College debt [Re: pondering_it_all]
CPWILL Offline

That was a time when only white men who owned property were expected to vote.

This is incorrect - the States were in charge of determining who exercised the franchise within their borders, and they used different systems. It wasn't until after the Civil War that we began to nationalize the question.

Quote:
The founders expected them to elect staid gentlemen of letters with highly developed senses of ethics to Congress.

That was the HOPE, but not the Expectation - which is why they balanced the power of the branches and the levels of government (congress against executive, federal against state).

Quote:

Direct Democracy really was anathema to almost all of them. They were horrified by the idea of dock workers or shepherds voting. We have evolved to a much more democratic society simply by letting most people vote.

I would agree we have definitely evolved to a much more democratic society, and that the founding fathers probably would have thought that dangerous. Looking at the state of our modern politics, I'm not positive they would be wrong.

Edited by CPWILL (01/10/20 01:16 AM)

Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2