by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16715 Topics
291000 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#314219 - 08/26/19 12:54 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
We know very well now how much CO2 fossil fuel burning is putting into the atmosphere. We also know the rate at which atmospheric CO2 is taken up by the ocean and eventually turned into carbonate minerals. Everything else is dwarfed by those two flows. We know the excess ends up in the atmosphere, and we know the greenhouse effect of the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.

So what is there to doubt? Anybody denying man-made global warming at this point just does not want to acknowledge the truth, for political reasons. Climate science is science. Climate change denial is politics. Politics that is going to make it very difficult for our grandchildren to forgive us.

#314220 - 08/26/19 12:56 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
Originally Posted By: logtroll
You think the 1970's science was political why?
I told you why. Read the solutions that were proposed to stop the predicted global cooling back in the 1970's. They are the same political solutions that being suggested to stop the predicted global warming/climate change today.

That's pretty lame for a basis for belief. But, if it's the best you can do... rolleyes

#314224 - 08/26/19 01:00 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Greger]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
What I believe is that climate change has and does happen.

Well sure! We're only 10,000 years or so from an ice age. But there were reasons for them then too. A huge meteorite or massive volcanic eruptions, shite like that don't just happen out of the blue. This time around it's becoming pretty clear that the problem is too much CO2. Just coincidentally billions upon billions of people are creating huge amounts of CO2 and have been for centuries. Two and two have already been put together. Along and along, if you live long enough, that will become painfully clear.

Your reasons for denying it are mostly economic right? That it's too expensive to try to do anything about it so we shouldn't try?

You do understand that when Greenland has melted the seas will be 25 feet higher than they are today, right? And it's happening right before our eyes.

Exciting times these! Manhattan and Miami will be no more, New Orleans a memory. Orlando a Beach town! Wonder where them folks gonna go, will they be considered refugees? How they gonna be treated by the starving folks inland....

Then apparently Pres. Obama does not believe in global warming. If he did he would not have bought a mansion on Martha's Vineyard, an island on the Atlantic Ocean, for $15,000,000. If Manhattan and Miami are washed away by the rising tide Martha's Vineyard will be too.

#314227 - 08/26/19 01:14 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Bad Obama!

What kind of a Dodge are you driving, Senator?

#314229 - 08/26/19 01:24 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
There are parts of Miami and Manhattan that are just a few feet above sea level. A six foot rise would be disasterous. The pictures I have seen of Obama's house look a lot higher than that.

But you know, we were not talking about what President Obama believes or doesn't believe. We were talking about you just ignoring facts because they contradict your political beliefs.

#314230 - 08/26/19 01:33 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
My niece lives over on Merritt Island, elevation 3 feet. She believes in global warming but it's nice living on the beach....Someday a hurricane is gonna wipe Merritt Island off the map, but probably not tomorrow. Could be later this year though. A lot of little towns like that are gonna start getting abandoned. all over the world.

#314231 - 08/26/19 01:44 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Seems like some of the science back in the 70s was okay, they figured out there were holes in the ozone, banned flourocarbons and the holes healed up. Global chilling was averted YAY SCIENCE!!!

That's the myth anyway and it suits my political leanings perfectly. Trust the scientists not the politicians.

#314234 - 08/26/19 02:01 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

And Senator, it's good to see you! Don't look at this as some sort of battleground, please. We're all just sort of blogging our thoughts here and using each other as foils. It really is a pleasure to have you posting here!

#314236 - 08/26/19 02:19 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: pondering_it_all]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
There are parts of Miami and Manhattan that are just a few feet above sea level. A six foot rise would be disasterous. The pictures I have seen of Obama's house look a lot higher than that.

But you know, we were not talking about what President Obama believes or doesn't believe. We were talking about you just ignoring facts because they contradict your political beliefs.

People have credibility when their actions match their words. Pres. Obama is a big proponent of global warming and rising sea levels. If his actions were to match his words he would not have bought a mansion on an island in the Atlantic Ocean. His actions do not match his words. That they don't he is either a liar, but then he is a politician so I'm repeating myself, or a hypocrite. Or how about the guru of global warming, VP Al Gore? His carbon footprint is probably bigger than everyone here on the Reader Rant. If you don't practice what you preach why should anyone believe you? (That's a rhetorical question, BTW.)

#314238 - 08/26/19 02:33 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Fun deflection.

Now, what is your global warming prediction?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2