by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16718 Topics
291061 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#314279 - 08/26/19 10:08 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Seriously? That's a thing? In a hundred years it might be flooded so he shouldn't move there because climate change?
I thought the Senator just made that up to be silly...

#314283 - 08/27/19 03:55 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Did you happen to notice that Daily Mail article is dated 2019 but is actually a recycled 2014 article using quotes from 2006 and 2009?

This is a much more current source: (August 15th, 2019)
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis

Quote:
At mid-month, Arctic sea ice extent is tracking close to 2012, the year with the lowest minimum in the satellite record. Sea ice volume is also tracking at low levels.

It also has the great advantage of NOT BEING A TABLOID! From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Daily Mail has been widely criticised for its unreliability, as well as printing of sensationalist and inaccurate scare stories of science and medical research, and for copyright violations.

#314312 - 08/27/19 09:27 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Lotta places don't allow Wiki as a source.

I think the Senator is trolling us. But it's cool, it's fun having him around. You almost forget that there are people out there who believe that nonsense.

Global warming is pretty much settled science. It's observable, measurable, and predictable. The cause has been pinpointed and preliminary efforts have begun to mitigate it. Denying it is pretty silly at this point.

But it may not be as bad as predicted...who knows.

Looks like Tropical Storm Dorian is making a beeline for my back door right now. I'm not evacuating yet(or ever). A quick glance at the cracked crystal ball says it's gonna veer right and drench Greenland with warm tropical winds and rain. Unless I''ve got it turned the wrong way and it's gonna go west of me. It's an ancient artifact, it doesn't have auto flip.

#314314 - 08/27/19 10:42 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Greger]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
Lotta places don't allow Wiki as a source.

I think the Senator is trolling us. But it's cool, it's fun having him around. You almost forget that there are people out there who believe that nonsense.

Global warming is pretty much settled science. It's observable, measurable, and predictable. The cause has been pinpointed and preliminary efforts have begun to mitigate it. Denying it is pretty silly at this point.

But it may not be as bad as predicted...who knows.
Why is global warming settled science? Because you believe it? Because of the hockey stick graph? Or is it because 97% of "climate scientists" say it is?

No denying it is not silly. It isn't because it hasn't been proven and the claims made by the climate scientists, as you said, might be exaggerated. When the cause of global cooling and global warming are blamed on the same, the use of fossil fuels, the credibility of the claims are very questionable.

#314316 - 08/27/19 10:54 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
No denying it is not silly. It isn't because it hasn't been proven and the claims made by the climate scientists, as you said, might be exaggerated. When the cause of global cooling and global warming are blamed on the same, the use of fossil fuels, the credibility of the claims are very questionable.

Denying it without any scientific basis seems like it just might be silly...

For the record, what do you think is going on, and what evidence do you have for your belief?

#314318 - 08/27/19 11:20 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: logtroll]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack

Denying it without any scientific basis seems like it just might be silly...

For the record, what do you think is going on, and what evidence do you have for your belief?

Climate change does and has happened. The history of climate change over the millenniums of the earth's existence make the idea that the use of fossil fuel is now causing it is far fetched. When Leif Ericsson, a very distant relative of mine, was exploring Greenland was called that because it had large areas of arable land. It doesn't have that today. No one was using fossil fuel in those days.

Here are some claims made by climate scientists in the 1970's saying that the use of fossil fuels will cause global cooling if the use of them is not stopped.
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/03/01/global-cooling-compilation/

#314319 - 08/27/19 11:49 PM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

So, no science... just a rumor about Greenland from a long time ago and some 50 year old speculation?

Nice work on the genealogy, though. I can only trace back through great grandparents.

#314326 - 08/28/19 12:36 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: logtroll]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Y'know "science" can never be right or wrong. Because it's never complete. Way back in the 70s scientists started noticing some wonky readings on the recording devices. They got the part right about the climate changing and they got the part right about fossil fuels being the cause of it. But they didn't have enough data yet to predict which way the climate would swing. They've got the data now.

They were right then and they're right now. But there is a lot more to be learned. Nothing they're learning seems to point toward it all being a Chinese hoax though.

#314330 - 08/28/19 01:02 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: logtroll]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
So, no science... just a rumor about Greenland from a long time ago and some 50 year old speculation?

Nice work on the genealogy, though. I can only trace back through great grandparents.

No, it is not a rumor. There were farms on Greenland.
https://archive.archaeology.org/online/features/greenland/

Did you look at the list of articles in the link I posted? (For some strange reason most of the articles from the LA Times, NY Times, and Washington Post have been removed from those newspaper's websites.)
http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/ny-times-1975-05-21.pdf

#314334 - 08/28/19 01:28 AM Re: Global warming predictions [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I am very curious as to why some people work so hard to ignore the preponderance of science in favor of weird propaganda.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2