by chunkstyle
Yesterday at 09:07 PM
RoundTable for Fall 2019
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 04:02 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
The Trump/Biden/Ukraine thing
by pdx rick
10/12/19 06:38 PM
The Departed - 2019
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/12/19 04:51 AM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
Hyper-partisanship and irrationality
by NW Ponderer
10/10/19 04:10 AM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
NRA acted as "foreign asset" for Russia ahead of 2016 election, Senate report cl
by Greger
10/07/19 02:19 AM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by jgw
10/06/19 08:05 PM
Quinnipiac Loves Liz Warren
by perotista
10/03/19 02:46 PM
Fixing Social Security
by jgw
10/02/19 07:58 PM
Here we go again!
by jgw
10/02/19 07:48 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16710 Topics
290695 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#314478 - 08/30/19 10:58 PM Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Cue Greger...

#314479 - 08/30/19 11:38 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
It's feckin Chinese hoax!

And the whole state is in Chinese fire drill mode. When it gets to Kissimmee I'll fill something with water. My ex sent her maintaence man out with gas for the generator. I put it in the mower.

The biggest possible story that could come out of this is a direct hit on Mar-A-Lago. Forecasters seem to be jumping through hoops figuring how to get it there. I've word from the Pagan community that witches, weather mages, and a sorceress or two are doing their best to nudge it ashore just there.

I'd be happy if it just limped up the coast and disappeared.

#314480 - 08/30/19 11:41 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Dude, just stay dry, and don't drown in one of those mud puddles!
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#314481 - 08/30/19 11:43 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Greger
It's feckin Chinese hoax!

And the whole state is in Chinese fire drill mode. When it gets to Kissimmee I'll fill something with water. My ex sent her maintaence man out with gas for the generator. I put it in the mower.

The biggest possible story that could come out of this is a direct hit on Mar-A-Lago. Forecasters seem to be jumping through hoops figuring how to get it there. I've word from the Pagan community that witches, weather mages, and a sorceress or two are doing their best to nudge it ashore just there.

I'd be happy if it just limped up the coast and disappeared.

That's what I'm talkin' about!!

#314484 - 08/31/19 03:18 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Is someone begging for attention posting non-RR threads to the Round Table like a regular Donald J "Bed Bugs" Trump? coffee

#314485 - 08/31/19 03:47 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Is someone begging for attention posting non-RR threads to the Round Table like a regular Donald J "Bed Bugs" Trump? coffee

Non-RR threads?? confused
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#314486 - 08/31/19 04:00 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Non-RR threads?? confused

Historically, for DECADES (90s, 00s, 10s) the Round Table threads were started by Moderators or higher.

Now it seems that any old drunk can start a thread on RR. Hmm

If this practice continues, why even have the Round Table? Just asking. smile

#314490 - 08/31/19 03:08 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's a permissions thing, Rick. And, of course, in the age of Trump "norms" don't matter. heh. But, you do have a point.

#314498 - 08/31/19 04:37 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

It's sad to see the Trump Train's smashing norms permeate CHBRR too. cry

#314501 - 08/31/19 05:23 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
why even have the Round Table? Just asking.

Actually, Rick, we don't have "the roundtable" any more. It used to be a daily thing and people dedicated hours to creating them. Then it became weekly, then monthly, and now just seasonally.

We've let most of the rules go out the window simply because they aren't needed any more. Civility is the standard here though and common sense should prevent any flame wars.

And if you are trying to start one please...just don't. If you just want the topic moved, and are adamant about it, I suppose one of us could do that if you asked nicely. Jefferey might even dig into the knobs and levers behind the curtain to see if he can find that radio button which would prevent the "New Topic" option from appearing on the peasants screens while viewing The RoundTable. But, again, we're all busy people here and corporate doesn't have any clear rules on this so any action is up to whichever associate you speak to.

#314502 - 08/31/19 05:46 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

[Civility is the standard here though and common sense should prevent any flame wars.

And if you are trying to start one please...just don't.

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Round Table was the last vestige of the old RR - until someone Trump trained even that tradition.

Asking me to accept that even the Round Table is not protected by those wishing to set fire to all-things sacred, is akin to having me accept coloring eggs for Christmas. crazy

Fir trees = Christams
Colored eggs = Easter
Round table starts = Mods or higher

Hmm

#314505 - 08/31/19 06:48 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Okay, I think I understand now...
This is about topics showing up IN the RoundTable section.

Yeah, I do have to move this to the proper section, which would no doubt be Environment.

#314507 - 08/31/19 06:52 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Folks, let's keep the RoundTable section exclusively for RoundTable threads.
I hadn't even noticed until yesterday just as I was shutting down all my stuff.
The threads are interesting, but they're misplaced/miscategorized, that's all.

#314508 - 08/31/19 06:53 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Okay, I think I understand now...
This is about topics showing up IN the RoundTable section.

Thank you Jeff.

So, this wasn't purposeful, it's a technical difficulty? if that's the case, I apologize those those I offended. smile

Please accept my apologies. blush

There is just one tradition that I can't accept as being changed and I will fight to keep the Round Table holy and sacred. Bow

It's not as if there are not 60 other forums in which to start a discussion while recognizing there is one holy Forum. Hmm

#314665 - 09/02/19 12:35 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Boy, that hurricane prediction is pretty weird! It's still heading due West at six MPH gathering strength. It's 184 MPH, which I think would be a Category 6, if there was such a thing. It's in the North Bahamas right now, pointing directly at Mar-A-Lago but the weather guys predict it will suddenly turn North and miss the entire Florida coast. Hasn't so far...

#314666 - 09/02/19 12:48 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Maybe it should be renamed "King Kon"!

#314668 - 09/02/19 12:53 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
...pointing directly at Mar-A-Lago...

Mother Nature has a plan. smile

#314674 - 09/02/19 01:08 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

If it sits there long enough the steering currents are gonna change and all hell could break lose.
I'm not really gonna rest easy until that sumbitch is well north of me.

#314677 - 09/02/19 01:21 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

No prediction models show it going up Central Florida. Besides that would weaken it down to just a tropical storm. It needs that hot water to remain a hurricane. I guess some have skipped right over Florida, but they have to rebuild once they get into the Gulf.

#314678 - 09/02/19 01:25 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

A scenario where it makes landfall around Cape Canaveral is the one that worries me most. that's only about 70-80 miles, it could still be hurricane force when it gets here. I have no insurance. But I have lots of trees...

#314684 - 09/02/19 02:11 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

>no insurance

Ouch, that's not good. You might end up in a FEMA trailer, if Trump hasn't diverted all the FEMA money. I guess you could go build a lean-to up against his stupid wall.

#314687 - 09/02/19 02:59 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Fema trailer would likely have better internet........

A limb could do some serious damage but I've still got friends and family in the house business and an ex who wants this house when I die. It's almost as good as insurance. Worst case scenario she has a little handicap equipped cottage near the shuffleboard courts she'd like me to move into.
I'm about ten miles outside the current cone and it hasn't started that turn yet. I don't trust it to do what it's supposed to. Those weather mages and witches may feck this up for everybody

#314691 - 09/02/19 03:41 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

You could end up a legend, like Dorothy!

#314695 - 09/02/19 07:05 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:
Those weather mages and witches may feck this up for everybody

Or if they are really good it would head due west and then linger for a few days before heading off North East.

I looked at it's storm surge and Mar-A-Lago's elevation, Even if it came ashore right there, it would not inundate the place. Probably salt the earth so it all needs to be rinsed down and replanted, but no buildings floating away. Those are all built to withstand 220 MPH gusts, right?

#314697 - 09/02/19 02:04 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Mar-A-Lago was built in 1924 - 1927, and pruchased by Trump in 1985, according to Wiki-pedia. I do not think the codes were that tough back then. So there may still be hope for Palm Beach, FL. They can use another parking lot...

ps: I have driven past that place a few times, a daughter and her family live near there. A cat 5 can take it out, it is not that high above sea level, about 7 ft, and do not forget the canal.

Edited by Ujest Shurly (09/02/19 02:28 PM)

Vote 2020

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#314712 - 09/02/19 07:21 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

My oldest daughter went to PBAU so I'm fairly familiar with the area. That "canal" is the intracoastal waterway, a 3000 mile long inland waterway. Mar-A-Lago was a well appointed mansion when it was built, wind codes weren't in force yet but it was well built, not Category 5 well built but at least parts of it will remain standing.. That piece of land aint destined to be a parking lot though, it's some of the priciest real estate in the country. Trump only bought it because he got a really great deal on it.

I'd be a little sad if it got destroyed because it really is a beautiful old place.

#314714 - 09/02/19 07:45 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mar-A-Lago was a well appointed mansion when it was built, wind codes weren't in force yet but it was well built...

I'd be a little sad if it got destroyed because it really is a beautiful old place.
I am looking forward to the ultimate bankruptcy of the Trump Organization and its divestiture of Mar-a-Lago in its liquidation.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#314718 - 09/02/19 08:12 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Mar-a-Largo history:

Quote:
Marjorie Merriweather Post, heiress to the Post Cereals business, paid for the house to be built with her husband Edward F. Hutton. She hired Marion Sims Wyeth to design it, and Joseph Urban to create interior design and exterior decorations. Post spent $7 million ($90 million today) and it was finished in 1927. The house has 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, a 29-foot-long (8.8 m) pietra dura marble top dining table, 12 fireplaces, and three bomb shelters. Mar-a-Lago was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1980. On April 18, 2012, the American Institute of Architects' Florida Chapter ranked Mar-a-Lago fifth on its list of Florida Architecture: 100 Years. 100 Places.

Post, who died in 1973, willed the 17-acre (6.9 ha) estate to the United States government as a Winter White House for presidents and visiting foreign dignitaries. Richard Nixon preferred the Florida White House in Key Biscayne, however, and Jimmy Carter was not interested. The federal government soon realized the immense cost of maintenance, and the difficulty maintaining security for diplomats, and returned it to the Post Foundation in 1981. It was then listed for sale for $20 million. Dina Merrill and Post's two other daughters did not maintain the property in the meanwhile, expecting to sell it. But there was so little interest, the city approved its demolition to build smaller homes.

Donald Trump learned about the estate after unsuccessfully trying to purchase and combine two apartments in Palm Beach for his family. According to Trump, he offered the Post family $15 million for it, but they rejected it. Trump purchased the land between Mar-a-Lago and the ocean from Jack C. Massey, the former owner of KFC, for $2 million, stating he intended to build a home that would block Mar-a-Lago's beach view. The threat caused interest in the property to decline, and Trump ended up getting the property for $7 million in 1985. Trump then renovated the estate, adding a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) ballroom. The club also has five clay tennis courts and a waterfront pool.

Did'ya see the part that Donald J "Bed Bugs" Trump offered $15m for the property and it was rejected. So he purchase land in-between Mar-a-Largo and the Atlantic ocean for $2M and threatened to block the ocean view of Mar-a-largo and the property value declined and Trump scooped up Mar-a-Largo for $7M. Total investment to purchase $9m.

"Bed Bugs" Trump has been a scammer his entire life. Hmm

#314720 - 09/02/19 09:23 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Meh...I don't hate 'em. Not exactly my kinda people but if I'da been born rich I'da prob'ly been an even bigger assh*le than Trump. So there's that.
I wish he hadn't got "elected" and I'll be glad when he's gone. But I don't wish him any ill will. Odd as it may seem, he thinks he's doing the right things.

#314721 - 09/02/19 09:38 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I wonder if Dina Merrill and the other two Post daughters intend to vote for him.

#314724 - 09/02/19 10:20 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

I wish he hadn't got "elected" and I'll be glad when he's gone.

I'm looking forward to the next President EO'ing all of "Bed Bugs" EOs out of existence and erasing any traces of his idiotic presidency. smile

#314728 - 09/03/19 12:34 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Looks like you be getting serious rain and wind now?

#314731 - 09/03/19 01:22 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Update 09/02/19 17:00 EDT

After stalling on top of Grand Bahama for the past 24-hrs mostly due to the formation of a second eye wall, Dorian should start heading Nw with a significant storm surge all along the coast of Florida up to North Carolina.

The eye is expected to stay 50-miles off shore. smile

#314732 - 09/03/19 01:40 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Looks like you be getting serious rain and wind now?

It rained once pretty hard mid-afternoon but that's normal for this time of year. Mostly cloudy and there's a pleasant breeze. Skies aren't pretty though, it looks vaguely threatening but not bad enough to take an umbrella.

#314805 - 09/04/19 03:40 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

So we haven't gotten much weather from this. a stiff breeze around sundown, but the sky has had a yellow cast at times, just sort of ominous and malevolent feeling. It didn't rain all that much today but I managed to get rained on three separate times. Clouds are scudding by so fast it goes from not raining to pouring to not raining again before you can decide which way to run.

Tropical storm warning in effect here til morning but it's still as death out there right now and once in a while it spits some rain.

#314806 - 09/04/19 03:46 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Greger!!!!!!

Glad you're safe. smile ( I was thinking about you today. cool )

#314811 - 09/04/19 04:33 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Greger, I hope to send you one of those "I Survived Hurricane Dorian" tee shirts AS A JOKE gift. Let's hope that it does turn out to be a joke for you and for all Floridians.

#314821 - 09/04/19 04:09 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Everybody is pretty sick of hearing about and staying ready for over a week. My neighbors spent upwards of $5000 having trees removed and boarding up the house getting ready for a major storm. Stocked up
a truckload of water and non perishable food. I told them they was crazy because we don't get major storms here, but they listen to the teevee, not me.

I don't get the water thing. Out here if you've got a generator you can run your pump and get water if we lose power. Municipal water systems pretty much never break down. A direct hit in coastal regions is one thing...they can be genuinely devastating. But inland here we'll never really see above category 1. We might go a week or more without power and the road might be blocked for a day or two but there's really no need for the panic that the television incites every time there's a storm.

#314851 - 09/05/19 12:27 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

The only time water district service stops is when there's a bad earthquake. Not happening in Florida. You might get a sinkhole busting some pipes, but how likely is that? That yellow-green sky thing is weird, isn't it. First time I saw that was when we moved to West Lafayette, Indiana for a year. We just drove the Ryder truck to a storage locker place and unloaded all of our stuff. I saw that sky, and I was ready when all the tornado sirens went off. We just moved the truck so it was in front of the pull-down door, and got in the brick storage locker. Safe as anywhere, we figured.

Didn't last long. Just took out a trailer park (of course), tore some new construction roofs off, and blew up a gas station.

#314853 - 09/05/19 02:10 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

It wasn't as dark as those tornado skies but the very air had that sickly yellow glow. As if lit by the eyes of Satan, sulphurous and foul. You really don't want to be at ground zero when one o them puppies roars ashore. That's also where they are most likely to spawn tornadoes where winds shoot up over 200 mph.

My original prediction, recorded somewhere on these pages, is that it would make a right turn and miss me entirely.
**chalks one up in the win column**

#314862 - 09/05/19 06:58 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I heard there was a National Emergency declared and an Executive Order for it to hit Alabama?

#314865 - 09/05/19 11:45 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Quote:
Unbelievable!! Overnight Dorian has grown into a monster Category 11 storm packing sustained winds of 670 mph and gusts up to 1000!! It has blown Alabama completely into Texas! (I was right...) Nobody has ever seen anything like it before - Trump is declaring martial law and forbidding future elections since only the Chosen One can handle such a calamity!!!!!
#@reeldonnieT

#314875 - 09/05/19 04:33 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It wasn't as dark as those tornado skies but the very air had that sickly yellow glow. As if lit by the eyes of Satan, sulphurous and foul. You really don't want to be at ground zero when one o them puppies roars ashore. That's also where they are most likely to spawn tornadoes where winds shoot up over 200 mph.

My original prediction, recorded somewhere on these pages, is that it would make a right turn and miss me entirely.
**chalks one up in the win column**
How much do you think Donnie BunkoDJT The Trump Organization will claim in damages to Mar-a-Lago for this disaster?

South Carolina is now bearing the brunt of it.

#314884 - 09/05/19 06:30 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

They probably got a stiff breeze and blowing rain and those old mansions are leaky and draft prone. On the lake side the king tide could easily have damaged various yachts and watercraft moored there and done a lot of damage to the landscaping and seawalls. Over on the Atlantic side I imagine there was some beach erosion and more landscape damage The old manse itself faces the sea side so you can expect nominal damage any time a hurricane forms in the Atlantic...

It could go into the millions.

#314887 - 09/05/19 06:44 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
How much do you think Donnie BunkoDJT The Trump Organization will claim in damages to Mar-a-Lago for this disaster?

South Carolina is now bearing the brunt of it.

C'mon NW_P. You know that one damaged palm frond on a Trump property is worth at least $17m.

coffee

#314915 - 09/05/19 10:01 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

But this is exactly what a Category 5 hurricane can do:

Dorian on the Bahamas: Unbelievable

I can't believe only 20 people are dead. So much of the damage looks unsurvivable. I think it's going to be more like thousands, once they start looking for bodies.

#314918 - 09/05/19 10:16 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

But this is exactly what a Category 5 hurricane can do:

Dorian on the Bahamas: Unbelievable

Some of the more recently built homes faired pretty well. But what's the point of having your home survive a CAT5 Hurricane if there is no infrastructure (grocery store, bank, gas stations) that survived as well?

Hmm

#314926 - 09/05/19 10:36 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Or something as simple as electricity. Your mansion's 10 ton AC can't operate without electricity, and if you had solar panels, I bet they are long gone now. My solar system is rated for 110 MPH, but I think the glass would break before that. I'm more concerned about the working class and immigrants. It looks like their homes were turned into burial sites.

It's going to be a long time before Abaco Island is livable again. I think there will be mass immigration by the survivors, except for construction and utility workers.

#314945 - 09/06/19 01:59 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It's going to be a long time before Abaco Island is livable again. I think there will be mass immigration by the survivors, except for construction and utility workers.

Some will flee, but there are always people who want to live in the islands. In tents, cooking fish on a fire is okay. Cruise lines can buy up most of it and turn it into a resort. Employ the locals that stick around. Until sea level rise claims the islands someone will always want to be there.

#314947 - 09/06/19 02:12 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Or something as simple as electricity.

I don't understand when such complete and utter devastation occurs, why re-builders don't take the opportunity to put utilities underground.

Puerto Rico should be doing this right now from Maria two years ago. It's called investment for the future.

Hmm

#314953 - 09/06/19 02:43 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

There just isn't much money to do all that stuff. Also the uncertainty of future storms and sea level rise make long term investments in the area a little dicey.

#314954 - 09/06/19 02:57 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

...the uncertainty of future storms and sea level rise make long term investments in the area a little dicey.

Yeah...that's true. gobsmacked

#315002 - 09/07/19 01:05 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

There is essentially none of Abaco Island higher than the likely 10 meter sea level rise people think will occur in the future. But that is a pretty long way off. Longer than modern construction is expected to last.

But you know La Palma in the Canary Islands could collapse at any time, and send a 200-300 foot tidal wave right into the Eastern US coast. That would go at least 20 miles inland, more in some places. Thee are similar threats to the West coast. I think I'm probably pretty safe at 700 feet in elevation.

#315072 - 09/08/19 03:31 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

There is essentially none of Abaco Island higher than the likely 10 meter sea level rise people think will occur in the future. But that is a pretty long way off. Longer than modern construction is expected to last.

But you know La Palma in the Canary Islands could collapse at any time, and send a 200-300 foot tidal wave right into the Eastern US coast. That would go at least 20 miles inland, more in some places. Thee are similar threats to the West coast. I think I'm probably pretty safe at 700 feet in elevation.

Some people think the Canary Islands scenario is bunk.
Last I heard, the BBC caught some flack from scientists about their doomsday style docu about the Eastern US being swept away.

However PIA, your words about the West did not go unnoticed either.

Interactive Tsunami Inundation Map - L.A. County

Looks like Whittier is safe but four exits down the 605 and we're looking at new waterfront property, I guess!

#315108 - 09/08/19 11:30 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

My wife grew up in a Maui beach house, so small tidal waves were a regular occurrence. You just return after the evacuation and pick up all the fish and octopi in the yard. The house was on about a five foot crawlspace, so the sea water never got inside.

#315139 - 09/10/19 02:45 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I see Donald Trump is graciously refusing admittance to Bahamians fleeing the destruction of Dorian...

#315163 - 09/10/19 05:56 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I see Donald Trump is graciously refusing admittance to Bahamians fleeing the destruction of Dorian...

It was my understanding that Bahamians and Floridians routinely went back and forth with little to no interference prior to the hurricane.

#315165 - 09/10/19 06:10 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Trump put a stop to that. They're black and some might be gang members.

Folks loaded on the ferry same as always to run across to the mainland. They were told that without visas they couldn't cross. They never needed visas before and certainly can't get them now since their island was destroyed...

#315167 - 09/10/19 06:21 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

It's only 50 miles so everybody with a boat will be running "illegals" across. The pimps, drug dealers, and gang members already took their boats across before the storm. They're likely zipping back and forth and making money hand over fist hauling regular folks across.

Immigration will never get it sorted out because they are a law enforcement agency rather than a social program.

It's just more xenophobia from the xenophobe in chief.

#315219 - 09/12/19 08:31 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

2500 missing from Abaco. How many got smuggled out to Florida, versus squished under their house rubble. It's going to take a while because the destruction is massive.

#315229 - 09/12/19 12:58 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: logtroll]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am worried about those thousands of missing people in the Bahamas (and not like, Trump-worried). The death toll is going to be massive.

On the other hand, I think my altitude is "about 312 ft", and fairly well inland (although near the Puget Sound). I used to work at Emergency Management so I know my house is uniquely safe from disaster.

#315232 - 09/12/19 01:05 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Interactive Tsunami Inundation Map - L.A. County

Looks like Whittier is safe but four exits down the 605 and we're looking at new waterfront property, I guess!

That map is a bit bogus. There is no way that Rolling Hills, Palos Verdes, and Palos Verdes Estates will be underwater or experience storm surge.

Plus Torrance and everything in Redondo Beach east of Prospect Avenue will be safe as well because of the hilly terrain.

Hmm

#315233 - 09/12/19 01:07 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

(although near the Puget Sound).

I'm a block away from the Puget Sound, but in a part of the Sound that is pretty high up due to hilly terrain. I literally have to go up a 60-degree hill to get home every day.

smile

#315234 - 09/12/19 01:09 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Trump put a stop to that. They're black and some might be gang members.

That's exactly how the black community is taking this kind gesture by Trump. Hmm

#315235 - 09/12/19 01:10 PM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
veteran

I am worried about those thousands of missing people in the Bahamas (and not like, Trump-worried). The death toll is going to be massive.

On the other hand, I think my altitude is "about 312 ft", and fairly well inland (although near the Puget Sound). I used to work at Emergency Management so I know my house is uniquely safe from disaster.

I have a Republican colleague who is afraid of a Bahamian invasion and who worries that we will be flooded by rising seas (elevation 6187') but says it's not caused by global warming...

I think this conservative fear thing is quite fickle, and definitely not moderated by intelligence (which takes a backseat to instinctual fear when it comes to survival , I'm told).

#315274 - 09/13/19 01:49 AM Re: Live Dorian Feed From Central Florida [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I am worried about those thousands of missing people in the Bahamas
Those people are dead. Mostly swept into the ocean.
Worry instead about the living and the storms about to strike the islands again.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 23 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2