by pdx rick
10/17/19 01:12 PM
Why do humans fight so much?
by Greger
10/15/19 02:13 PM
Global warming predictions
by logtroll
10/13/19 08:47 PM
Turkey's Erdogan threatens to release millions of refugees into Europe over crit
by pdx rick
10/12/19 07:35 PM
Partisans' Trust in Legislative Branch Has Shifted in Past Year
by perotista
10/11/19 03:37 AM
Trump unleashes ISIS in Kurd Country
by Greger
10/10/19 05:31 PM
SF Board of Supervisors declare NRA a domestic terrorist organization
by NW Ponderer
10/09/19 03:08 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
10/07/19 02:44 PM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16715 Topics
290989 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#315202 - 09/11/19 09:48 PM What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government?
Senator Hatrack Offline

Loc: MN
Because our government is run by human beings it is not, and never will be, perfect. There will always be corruption and fraud. My concern is how can we reduce it as much as possible? This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party but to try find a bipartisan solution to a bipartisan problem.

#315205 - 09/11/19 11:30 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
perotista Online   content
stranger

Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
Because our government is run by human beings it is not, and never will be, perfect. There will always be corruption and fraud. My concern is how can we reduce it as much as possible? This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party but to try find a bipartisan solution to a bipartisan problem.

The only way I can think of is to get money out of politics which isn't going to happen. Besides since money is speech, it would be against the 1st amendment. I think most of the corruption comes from trying to placate those who donate their millions to the candidates and political parties. Our representatives in Washington are more beholding to those who donate or should I use the word invest in our politics and elections.

Few of our politicians us their position to enhance them financially. Yes, some do, but not most. Most have to keep their mega money investors, lobbyists, special interests, corporations, wall street firms happy so they will continue to invest in them. They expect a return on their investment, they get it.

To keep this short, I see of now way to hem in corruption and the special influence among our elected leaders money buys.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#315206 - 09/12/19 12:09 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
B...This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party...

Heaven forbid that you ever call-out Republicans for their misdeeds - you somehow need to contort facts and bring in the Dems for the ride too. coffee

#315207 - 09/12/19 12:10 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: perotista]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Originally Posted By: perotista
The only way I can think of is to get money out of politics which isn't going to happen. Besides since money is speech, it would be against the 1st amendment.

Citizens United was the most asinine SCOTUS so far this century. Hmm

#315208 - 09/12/19 12:29 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: pdx rick]
perotista Online   content
stranger

Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: perotista
The only way I can think of is to get money out of politics which isn't going to happen. Besides since money is speech, it would be against the 1st amendment.

Citizens United was the most asinine SCOTUS so far this century. Hmm

Until the 2016 presidential election where Hillary raised and spent 1.191 billion to Trump's 646.8 million every presidential candidate who raised and spent the most won since 1964. In 1964 . Outside of 2016, 1964 where Goldwater outspent LBJ 16 million to 9 million.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/graphics/2016-presidential-campaign-fundraising/

The most money raised and spent by a presidential candidate.
2016 Hillary Clinton 1.191 billion
2008 Obama 760.4 million
2012 Obama 737.1 million
2012 Romney 483.1 million
2004 G.W. Bush 355.0 million
2004 Kerry 332.7 million
2008 McCain 239.7 million

Money usually talks big. But not in 2016 or 1964.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#315209 - 09/12/19 12:55 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: pdx rick]
Senator Hatrack Offline

B...This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party...

Heaven forbid that you ever call-out Republicans for their misdeeds - you somehow need to contort facts and bring in the Dems for the ride too. coffee

When have you ever criticized the Democrats, pdx rick? Hell, you even edited a sentence I wrote to hide the fact that I said this is a BIPARTISAN problem!

This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party but to try find a bipartisan solution to a bipartisan problem.

If anyone here refuses to look at their side it is you. You are a yuge part of the problem. You are part of the problem because you don't remember that several times I blamed REPUBLICANS, by name, for helping start the Great Depression. Just to refresh your memory it was Sen. Smoot R-UT, Rep. Hawley R-OR and REPUBLICAN President Herbert Hoover who are responsible for the Great Depression!

When pdx rick are you going to criticize any Democrats?

#315210 - 09/12/19 01:06 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

When have you ever criticized the Democrats, pdx rick?

Guess you were not around in the Fall of 2016 when I was criticizing Hillary Clinton for being a lying sociopath - although she pales in comparison to "Bed Bugs" Trump's whoppers.

Hell, you even edited a sentence I wrote to hide the fact that I said this is a BIPARTISAN problem!

I edited one of your sentences? Link, please. smile

#315212 - 09/12/19 02:28 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: pdx rick]
Senator Hatrack Offline

When have you ever criticized the Democrats, pdx rick?

Guess you were not around in the Fall of 2016 when I was criticizing Hillary Clinton for being a lying sociopath - although she pales in comparison to "Bed Bugs" Trump's whoppers.

No, I wasn't around for your criticism of Hillary Clinton. However there are plenty of Democrats who deserve to be criticized. Joe Biden for example could be criticized for the "great' speeches he gives. There are others if you make the effort to find them.

Hell, you even edited a sentence I wrote to hide the fact that I said this is a BIPARTISAN problem!

I edited one of your sentences? Link, please. smile

There is no need for a link. It is italicized in a quote box in my comment you replied to. In case you missed, which you apparently did, here it is. I have again italicized it in a quote box to make sure you see it.

This is being asked not to point fingers or blame either party but to try find a bipartisan solution to a bipartisan problem.

#315213 - 09/12/19 03:33 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Sometimes we call corrupt Democrats NeoLiberals. They are in thrall to corporate interests rather than the interests of the entire population.

There's a reason we call them public servants and not corporate lickspittles.

I'm not generally in favor of term limits but it seems the "old boy" crowd has gotten a bit out of hand these past few years and perhaps term limits might help.

#315214 - 09/12/19 07:25 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Joe Biden for example could be criticized for the "great' speeches he gives.

Here's just a sample of your orange clown President "Bone Spurs" gaffes:
  • Windmills cause cancer
  • Airports seized during the Revolutionary War
  • Oranges of the “Russer” investigation.
  • Raking the forest to prevent forest fires
  • Calling Air Force One - Aircraft One
  • Sharpie on a NOAA map
Not only did just learn which parent Barron probably inherited his Autism from, we also just learned that people is glass houses ought not throw stones.

smile

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2