by CPWILL
09/20/20 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
09/19/20 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
09/19/20 06:57 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/18/20 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/17/20 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16997 Topics
302949 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#315291 - 09/13/19 03:15 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: logtroll]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
I don't think your solution is practical, or likely to produce the desired result. I think that controlling the money and public access in elections would be more effective. Undoing Citizen's United would be a good start.

You go ahead and elect a new congressman every term. I plan to try to elect the best person for the job. Maybe we'll both be happy that way.

It worked for most of our country's history. What would it hurt to start doing it again? By electing a new Representative every two or four years you take the money out of politics. The money is there because the people who donate the money want to back winners, those who will be in office for as long as possible. The longer a person stays in Congress the power they have. The more power they have makes them the winners who get the big donations. Reduce the longevity in office and you reduce the money in politics.

#315293 - 09/13/19 03:21 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
Originally Posted By: logtroll
I don't think your solution is practical, or likely to produce the desired result. I think that controlling the money and public access in elections would be more effective. Undoing Citizen's United would be a good start.

You go ahead and elect a new congressman every term. I plan to try to elect the best person for the job. Maybe we'll both be happy that way.

It worked for most of our country's history. What would it hurt to start doing it again? By electing a new Representative every two or four years you take the money out of politics. The money is there because the people who donate the money want to back winners, those who will be in office for as long as possible. The longer a person stays in Congress the power they have. The more power they have makes them the winners who get the big donations. Reduce the longevity in office and you reduce the money in politics.

Hunnnh?

#315294 - 09/13/19 03:49 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: logtroll]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Why do you think the state legislatures gerrymander Congressional Districts? To ensure that as many districts as possible will always elect a member of the party that controls the state legislature, whether it is the R's or the D's, to Congress. When members of Congress are out of office after a couple of terms they are not as powerful as they are now. The less power they have there will be less money spent getting them
elected.

When our elected officials are not in office for decades we control them, the special interest groups don't.

#315328 - 09/14/19 03:47 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
The less power they have there will be less money spent getting them elected.

I believe you are thinking backwards. Think Citizens United.

I would suspect people like the Koch family would spend a butt load of money to get ultra conservatives elected if they are out of power, just so they will be in power.

Quote:
the special interest groups don't
I think there are examples of this not being valid in recent history. Junior Republicans came in as firebrand conservatives and quickly became tools of special interests. Of course this could be skewed by the fact the Republican base is driven by bigotry which taints all other variables. So is it fear of the base or eyepopping greed? i dunno

#315331 - 09/14/19 05:04 AM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
Senator Hatrack Offline

There is something I find interesting here at the Rant. Nearly everyone attacks Republicans/Conservatives but when I defend them they say that I won't admit that the Republicans/Conservatives have done anything wrong. And god forbid if I point out that the Democrats/Liberals are not paragons of virtue. When I do that its almost as if I were to claim that no politician has ever lied. No wonder the Rant doesn't have many people posting on it. There is only so much blind unquestioning hatred that people can tolerate.

#315341 - 09/14/19 05:58 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
There is something I find interesting here at the Rant. Nearly everyone attacks Republicans/Conservatives but when I defend them they say that I won't admit that the Republicans/Conservatives have done anything wrong. And god forbid if I point out that the Democrats/Liberals are not paragons of virtue. When I do that its almost as if I were to claim that no politician has ever lied. No wonder the Rant doesn't have many people posting on it. There is only so much blind unquestioning hatred that people can tolerate.

Broad-brushing and generalizations... never a good sign of objectivity.

#315343 - 09/14/19 06:15 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

For contrast, I have posted at a half dozen "conservative" blogs in the last ten years. I have been banned at all of them for saying no worse than I post here. Here at RR, over the course of my 9-1/2 years, I recall two Libs, two nutjobs, and one Classical Liberal being banned. Used to be more conservatives of various stripes, some long-timers, but they faded away on their own under the constant pressure to be honest and tell the truth, and to support their claims.

This thing of being artificially "fair and balanced" is a weak argument, because it fails to take into account that two sides may well not be equal in all things. A real debate on "bipartisan corruption" would have to be cognizant of solid evidence of which is better or worse, or if are they equal. Anecdotal and biased mentions of a handful of examples does not a defensible argument make.

#315345 - 09/14/19 06:45 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Quote:
Nearly everyone attacks Republicans/Conservatives but when I defend them they say that I won't admit that the Republicans/Conservatives have done anything wrong.

I think it is because you defend indefensible positions or statements and conclude the positions or statements are OK.

If a Democrat had said or done what Republicans have said or done I would be in front of the line protesting.

The problem you see is Republicans seem to make it a habit of doing or saying the indefensible while Democrats do not do it as often.

Let me say it clearly .... if Pres Obama had done what Mr Trump has done and continues to do, I would be yelling loudly for impeachment and I suspect you would as well. The difference is you will not do the same for Mr Trump. Of course hypocrisy is not a crime. It simply demonstrates a lack of objectively and maybe integrity.

Quote:
And god forbid if I point out that the Democrats/Liberals are not paragons of virtue.
I have no problem skewering the unethical or criminal politicians of any persuasion, however I suspect many of what you believe are problems are really differences of political opinions.

#315347 - 09/14/19 07:24 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: rporter314]
Senator Hatrack Offline

Originally Posted By: rporter314
I think it is because you defend indefensible positions or statements and conclude the positions or statements are OK.

Many of the attacks on Republicans/Conservatives I have seen here are not based on facts. It is because I point out that they are not true people say I won't admit Republicans/Conservatives have done anything wrong. Your reply is a prime example of that.

If a Democrat had said or done what Republicans have said or done I would be in front of the line protesting.

Should I hold my breath waiting for you to do that?

The problem you see is Republicans seem to make it a habit of doing or saying the indefensible while Democrats do not do it as often.
BS! That is a very partisan statement.

Let me say it clearly .... if Pres Obama had done what Mr Trump has done and continues to do, I would be yelling loudly for impeachment and I suspect you would as well. The difference is you will not do the same for Mr Trump. Of course hypocrisy is not a crime. It simply demonstrates a lack of objectively and maybe integrity.

You are wrong! There were many Republicans/Conservatives calling for Pres. Obama to be impeached. I did not join them in their folly. I didn't do that, when the Republicans/Conservatives were calling for the impeachment of Clinton or Obama, because to do so was and is a waste of time, effort, and political capital that can be put to better use.

I have no problem skewering the unethical or criminal politicians of any persuasion, however I suspect many of what you believe are problems are really differences of political opinions.

Should I start holding my breath now? The huge and growing gap in the differences of political opinions is the problem. A problem that is nurtured by most of the people here on the Rant.

#315357 - 09/14/19 10:24 PM Re: What Can Be Done About The Bipartisan Corruption In Our Government? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Strange you have just done what you accuse others of doing and you just don't get it ... or not really strange as I fully expect it.

Quote:
Many of the attacks on Republicans/Conservatives I have seen here are not based on facts.
So when Mr Trump obstructed an investigation, that is not based on facts? When Mr Trump freely admits he gropes women because he is a "star" that is not based on facts?? When Mr Trump for many years has made racist comments, that is not based on facts?

What is your definition of a fact?

Quote:
BS! That is a very partisan statement.
So your defense is Republicans do not say stupid things? Really? This is kinda like saying there is rampant voter fraud. Is that a stupid statement? Republicans make statements like that everyday. So I challenge you to find an equal number of stupid statements from Democrats. I want to know what partisan looks like for you.

Quote:
There were many Republicans/Conservatives calling for Pres. Obama to be impeached.
Wow. Did you read what you typed? You just did what you accuse every here of doing. What do you think that is? Responding to something I did not say ... DUH.

I said ... and please read this carefully ... if Pres Obama had done what Mr Trump has done and continues to do I would have called for Pres Obama's impeachment then.

Now you can respond appropriately.

Quote:
The huge and growing gap in the differences of political opinions is the problem.
Are you for real!!!!!!

Political positions have nothing to do with unethical behavior or criminal activities.

Impugning my integrity ... really???? .... look .... type a list of unethical or criminal behavior by Democrats, plutocrats, or just rats and see what my response is .... holding breath

Page 5 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2