by pondering_it_all
11/05/19 04:27 AM
Why are the Democrats waiting?
by jgw
11/04/19 10:16 PM
MSNBC’s Touré: Romney Engaging In The ‘N.....izati
by logtroll
11/01/19 08:44 AM
POLL: Will Trump resign or stay and be impeached?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/31/19 06:25 PM
Trump Doings
by jgw
10/30/19 08:11 PM
ISIS Leader Killed in U.S. Special Operations Raid in Northern Syria
by pdx rick
10/29/19 04:40 AM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16734 Topics
291867 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316737 - 10/15/19 01:01 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: jgw]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Dam, Grandpa get over to the side of the road and let us Spring Chickens move along. You know how us 70 years olds are, well 70 in a few months.

You sure you belong on these boards, you begin in the upper 1% and all LOL ThumbsUp

Just judging from your post, you ain't losing any trains.

As for Bernie and Joe, fully agree.

Vote 2020

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#316740 - 10/15/19 01:58 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
When I fell the second time and really really hurt my back, I called my ex-father in law before I called 911. He's a doctor, retired at 85, 94 now and still sharp as a tack. He asked doctor questions and assured me I would be fine without another trip in an ambulance.

jgw is a treasure. His missives are sometimes long but always worth a read.

#316745 - 10/15/19 04:02 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm enjoying this thread. Didn't know where it might go. My wife and I have very different views about aging. I have more in common with my sons and their friends, technically and socially, than with many of my contemporaries and acquaintances (who, by and large, are a decade or more ahead of me).

My love "thinks" old (hence the CCRC thing). Some of it is her disability, but her attitude about that has changed dramatically in 5 years. She needs more independence, and so do I. I have more things to do in a day than just honey-dos. It is actually becoming a conflict, and that worries me. I'm more sedentary than I prefer and it is having a real effect. I'm getting rounder, and easily winded. That's just not me, and I don't like it.

Yesterday, I went to the senior activity center with her to join the SAIL (Stay Active In Life) exercise class. Great stuff, btw, but I'm 15 years younger than the other participants (except my wife). I volunteer in the computer lab, and really appreciate the senior center and its activities. It's connecting me to my community. But...

Nobody there rides a motorcycle, or bikes. Most activities are "indoors" (i.e., seated - including the SAIL class). I need to have an activity companion, not a bridge partner. I haven't held a racket in 5 years. I need to get out and do or I'll atrophy. I'm going stir crazy! Any suggestions or experiences to draw on? Really, please help! How do I balance what I want to do with what I can do?

#316749 - 10/15/19 04:34 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

You aren't going to like this but it's something that has worked for me since they started taking things away that I liked to do.

Most recently it's walking. I'm getting measured for a wheelchair today.

So my friends express worry and sadness that I'll soon be wheelchair bound. No problem, I tell them(and myself) I'm a lazy man and I don't like walking anyway.

Put the best face on it that you can, smile and carry on. Life is still grand! I enjoy every minute of every day. Even though I can't do much of anything anymore.

And get your chubby lil ass down to the gym while you still can. Ride your scooter there. Go for a run with the dog, be aware that the days you can still do those things are numbered. Do what you can while you can and you'll be doing them longer than you can imagine.

#316753 - 10/15/19 10:52 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Greger, if you can still STAND and walk a few steps, please do so at every opportunity. The wheelchair is a valuable tool but as Karen says, it does not need to be a final destination.
So if you still have control over your leg muscles, use them as much as possible even if you can't walk more than a few feet, still USE those legs in any way possible, whatever way possible.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#316757 - 10/16/19 12:53 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I've fallen four times this month, I think two the month before. For years I've been walking a half mile twice a day trying my damndest to put this off. But this falling thing is getting to be dangerous. The least little thing happens and I'm on my face. I can't go anywhere or do anything because I'm afraid of falling. I'll keep walking as much as I can but either I'm going to need a chair or I'm going to be a shut in who never leaves his house. I wanna go downtown to the farmers market. I wanna see the local theater group perform, I wanna go out to the local festivals and food truck nights or go to a movie. All those things are impossible if I have to walk. And one of these times I'm really gonna hurt myself when I fall. Did you see Jimmy Carter's face? I don't wanna go there. Don't want a broken hip or broken wrists or a shattered knee either. I've already put this off longer than I should have.

#316762 - 10/16/19 02:25 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger
All those things are impossible if I have to walk. And one of these times I'm really gonna hurt myself when I fall. Did you see Jimmy Carter's face? I don't wanna go there. Don't want a broken hip or broken wrists or a shattered knee either. I've already put this off longer than I should have.

I don't dispute one bit of it.
You know you best.
Is it going to be a power chair or a manual?
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#316766 - 10/16/19 02:44 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Greger
I've fallen four times this month, I think two the month before. For years I've been walking a half mile twice a day trying my damndest to put this off. But this falling thing is getting to be dangerous. The least little thing happens and I'm on my face. I can't go anywhere or do anything because I'm afraid of falling. I'll keep walking as much as I can but either I'm going to need a chair or I'm going to be a shut in who never leaves his house. I wanna go downtown to the farmers market. I wanna see the local theater group perform, I wanna go out to the local festivals and food truck nights or go to a movie. All those things are impossible if I have to walk. And one of these times I'm really gonna hurt myself when I fall. Did you see Jimmy Carter's face? I don't wanna go there. Don't want a broken hip or broken wrists or a shattered knee either. I've already put this off longer than I should have.

What's your plan Greger? Hmm

#316775 - 10/16/19 04:09 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: pdx rick]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

The plan, Rick, is to leave my beloved swamp and move to town. I've lived here for 40 years so it's really a difficult decision. But the kid moved out and I'm alone here now. That last fall scared the living crap out of me. I thought I'd broken my back and the phone was across the room. I had to drag myself to it on my elbows and call for help.
I couldn't get up. That's pretty helpless feeling.

The ex has a little handicap friendly house already remodeled to accommodate a cripple. It's three blocks from the historic downtown district where most of those events I listed take place. It comes with a nice power wheelchair. A dear friend of ours died before he ever got to come back home.
The manual chair is for exercise mostly. Nothing wrong with my upper body and it looks like a good core workout wheeling around in one of those. The sidewalks are all new and are wheelchair friendly so I'll be able to move about the neighborhood freely. It's four blocks from where I grew up so it'll be kind of like going back home. The city shuffleboard courts are right next door!!!

When Roscoe dies I'm outa here. Or maybe when he gets as crippled as me, it has a huge fenced back yard and I can have 5 chickens. No need to rush, but I've got to face the inevitable.

#316777 - 10/16/19 04:22 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

uh...roscoe aint what you'd call a city dog. He'd get us both in big trouble.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2