by pondering_it_all
11/05/19 04:27 AM
Why are the Democrats waiting?
by jgw
11/04/19 10:16 PM
MSNBC’s Touré: Romney Engaging In The ‘N.....izati
by logtroll
11/01/19 08:44 AM
POLL: Will Trump resign or stay and be impeached?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/31/19 06:25 PM
Trump Doings
by jgw
10/30/19 08:11 PM
ISIS Leader Killed in U.S. Special Operations Raid in Northern Syria
by pdx rick
10/29/19 04:40 AM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16734 Topics
291861 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316802 - 10/17/19 12:05 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
Senator Hatrack Offline

You're old when you go into a room and forget why you went there. You're senile is when the room went into is the bathroom.
eek

#316806 - 10/17/19 03:18 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
You're old when you go into a room and forget why you went there.

You mean I’ve been old since I was a kid?

#316811 - 10/17/19 05:31 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
My mom broke both her hips and had them redone in stainless steel, so her doc said she could never break them again. The problem is that she never did the work to get up and walk after that. Instead she got a power chair. Now at 91 she can't even stand up some of the time. She has two ladies in her assisted living place who get her into a wheelchair and take her to the bathroom or her power chair to go to the dining room.

Yesterday she wanted me to take her out shopping and to lunch. She got in my car fine, and got out at the barbeque pit, but for the life of me I couldn't get her 150 pounds back in the car after lunch. She ended up on her back on the pavement. (Very gently, of course.) A very nice lady helped me get her up in her portable wheelchair. Then I pushed her two miles back to her assisted living facility! Thank God we did not go far for lunch.

But that's only half the story: I have MS and peripheral neuropathy, so I can't feel anything below my shins. It was NOT FUN pushing her that two miles. But now I can't take her out anyplace. I have to face my own limitations. If she wants to go someplace, the facility has a bus with a wheelchair ramp.

The important takeaway, Greger, is even if you get a wheelchair for getting around easily, get a good walker and USE IT around the house. It totally sucks not to be able to stand up. Do exercises and keep your leg strength up. You can do partial squats while holding on to the walker for balance.

#316814 - 10/17/19 10:23 AM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Instead of a long wall of text.

Google this term senior wheelchair exercises or just click it.

As PIA said above, get out of that chair and move.

Edited by Ujest Shurly (10/17/19 10:25 AM)

Vote 2020

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#316823 - 10/17/19 03:32 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Senator Hatrack]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Senator Hatrack
You're old when you go into a room and forget why you went there. You're senile is when the room went into is the bathroom.
Damn! I've been old all my life!

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#316826 - 10/17/19 03:58 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks, my friends, for reminding me that I'm in a pretty good place. I've got time to reorder things and work through my issues. Five things to do, today. Then five things tomorrow, and the day after that. (Wisdom from my son.) I was feeling overwhelmed. The issues are still there, but comparatively speaking, minor. Time to get to work.

#316856 - 10/17/19 08:48 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
My mom broke both her hips and had them redone in stainless steel, so her doc said she could never break them again. The problem is that she never did the work to get up and walk after that. Instead she got a power chair. Now at 91 she can't even stand up some of the time. She has two ladies in her assisted living place who get her into a wheelchair and take her to the bathroom or her power chair to go to the dining room.

Yesterday she wanted me to take her out shopping and to lunch. She got in my car fine, and got out at the barbeque pit, but for the life of me I couldn't get her 150 pounds back in the car after lunch. She ended up on her back on the pavement. (Very gently, of course.) A very nice lady helped me get her up in her portable wheelchair. Then I pushed her two miles back to her assisted living facility! Thank God we did not go far for lunch.

But that's only half the story: I have MS and peripheral neuropathy, so I can't feel anything below my shins. It was NOT FUN pushing her that two miles. But now I can't take her out anyplace. I have to face my own limitations. If she wants to go someplace, the facility has a bus with a wheelchair ramp.

The important takeaway, Greger, is even if you get a wheelchair for getting around easily, get a good walker and USE IT around the house. It totally sucks not to be able to stand up. Do exercises and keep your leg strength up. You can do partial squats while holding on to the walker for balance.

That's what I was trying to tell him.
During the period when little Bam Bam (Daryl) was a newborn with his intense cardiac issues, Karen was still walking.
She was wobbling and walking, and then the wobbling began to take over more.

SHE SAYS:
"When I first borrowed my father's old wheelchair, I wished I'd known to get up out of it more, and I think if I had tried a little harder, I might have kept enough strength to still get up and out of it once in a while."

When I first moved in with her, in Arkansas, she was still trying to use a walker once in a while. She wishes she had used it even more.

Today Karen is like Jon's mom, cannot get up, stand or walk at all and the worst part is, her bones in her legs got so brittle she actually cannot put her weight on them anymore.

We had to get rid of her standing frame, donated it to a rehab center three miles away.

You don't want any part of that special kind of osteoporosis, more commonly known as "paralytic bone osteoporosis" because unlike Karen, you still have a lot of feeling in your legs, whereas her feeling in her legs is "muted" somewhat.
(that's the peripheral neuropathy)
So when SHE breaks a bone, it's "uncomfortable".
If YOU break a bone, it will be much more than "uncomfortable".

Take precautions, Greger...but REBEL against the chair when possible to do so safely.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

#316861 - 10/17/19 10:27 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Honest guys, I plan to keep walking. Mostly I don't even need a cane around the house but I won't set foot outside without one. I've got a good walker I use at night for trips to the bathroom then I push it around in the morning until things have loosened up. Then I walk the dog. Usually a half mile but the back pain is holding me back a bit right now. It's not really walking because the dog helps pull me along. Without his gentle and constant tug on the leash I couldn't do it at all. I can't really propel myself forward. Muscles have long since atrophied. I use the cane to pole myself along like a boat. Leaning to the left and right to swing my legs forward. It's pretty awkward.

It's never going to get better and will continue to get worse as I get older. But I intend to fight it every step of the way. When I move to town there will be walks around the block with two canes, trips around the block in the manual chair for a core workout, and the power chair will take me downtown. The manual chair folds up so I can toss it in the car and go down to the waterfront or out to a restaurant...Things I can't do anymore without a wheelchair. Reslly all I've been able to do for a long time is grocery shopping because shopping carts are perfect walkers for a big guy like me.

#316864 - 10/17/19 10:58 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Ol' man Greger
That ol' man Greger
He don't say nothing
But he must know something
Cause he just keeps rolling
He keeps rolling along
Rollin' along
He don't plant tators
He don't plant cotton
Them that plants 'em is soon forgotten
But ol' man Greger
He keeps rolling along
You and me
We sweat and strain
Body all aching
And wracked with pain
Tote that barge
Lift that bale
Get a little drunk
And you land in jail
I gets weary
Sick of trying
I'm tired of living
Feared of dying
But ol' man Greger
He's rolling along

#316869 - 10/17/19 11:56 PM Re: What is "old"? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger
Usually a half mile but the back pain is holding me back a bit right now. It's not really walking because the dog helps pull me along. Without his gentle and constant tug on the leash I couldn't do it at all. I can't really propel myself forward. Muscles have long since atrophied.

Sounds like your buttocks muscles are atrophied.
By the way, that happens to a lot of old men, myself included.
But I've been doing twice daily exercises to retrain my butt muscles and I've seen positive results.

I have NEVER had a pain or discomfort of any kind in my lower back, or my arms, shoulders or upper back.
Yes, I know you hate me now, LOL.

But I've had Joe Namath's knees, hips and ankles for about a decade and in the last four years it had gotten so bad I was having difficulty hoisting myself up into Karen's handicap van and I was sweating profusely just walking from the VA S.C.I. to the VA pharmacy at the other end of the complex, even walking through air conditioned hallways.

Then I figured out that my WALKING ITSELF had atrophied. I wasn't walking the way I used to as a young man, and looking at my backside in the mirror confirmed it because my formerly firm young buns were beginning to sag!

And forcing daily exercises worked so well even Karen finally said "Nice buns" the other night.

"Really?? Are they looking good?"

"Yup, definitely gettin' there." smile

And I could FEEL the difference.
It was, if you will pardon the expression, a pain in the ass remembering to TELL MY ASS to DO ITS JOB when walking.
I had to force myself to TELL my buttock muscles to squeeze with each step.
And it worked. The pain in my knees and ankles has subsided and believe it or not even my stiff neck feels better. My hips aren't talking to me nearly as much as they used to!

And I can walk much further now, no sweating.
I just had to retrain my ASS to do its job.

I didn't realize that old men lose their ASS along with so much else!
Now that I've been put in mind of it I AM INDEED noticing that a lot of old men who have trouble walking have atrophied buns.
Some of those old guys barely have any buns at all just a flat blob with no definition.
And they are the ones who have to shuffle and push themselves along.
Their butts have just GIVEN UP somehow.

Can you still squeeze your individual butt muscles without any pain, Greger? I do that, too! I sit in this chair and squeeze my butt muscles while I am on the Rant. First one, then the other, then both at the same time, over and over again.
The only people pushing the Athenian Straw Man Nonexistent Threat of Slippery Slope Windyfoggery (ASMNSSW) RE DEMOCRACY are people who have a misunderstanding/problem or hatred of democracy. (See AUTHORITARIANS)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2