by pondering_it_all
11/05/19 04:27 AM
Why are the Democrats waiting?
by jgw
11/04/19 10:16 PM
MSNBC’s Touré: Romney Engaging In The ‘N.....izati
by logtroll
11/01/19 08:44 AM
POLL: Will Trump resign or stay and be impeached?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/31/19 06:25 PM
Trump Doings
by jgw
10/30/19 08:11 PM
ISIS Leader Killed in U.S. Special Operations Raid in Northern Syria
by pdx rick
10/29/19 04:40 AM
Forum Stats
6282 Members
59 Forums
16734 Topics
291861 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#317011 - 10/21/19 02:45 AM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Oh...and what plan do you plan to pass? It's not even written yet and may take years to put together. Then it has to be implemented. If Biden is elected he will do exactly nothing to move the project forward, some limited legislation may be passed but then a Republican will be elected who will tear it all back apart.

#317012 - 10/21/19 09:19 AM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: logtroll]
chunkstyle Offline

There’s a Medicare For All bill that I’m very interested in seeing passed. At the state level there is the Healthy New York’ act that is modeled on the Canadian province of Ontario. Our northern neighbor. It has been number crunched by both opponents and proponents of the bill.
Bill proponents had UMass, Amherst do the number crunching and found the cost savings to be significant. Most state residence would pay around 40/month. That forty would cover dental, vision and drugs.
The opponents scoring showed a dystopian future where we eat our pets and minorities will rush the state line from every direction.
At the public meetings I’ve been to, the opponents are all white male small business tyrant paw paws. They, too, would like a ‘go slow’ approach

Edited by chunkstyle (10/21/19 09:33 AM)

#317013 - 10/21/19 09:29 AM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: Greger]
chunkstyle Offline

Medicare covers prescription drugs, vision and no co-pays in NY. No dental.

#317014 - 10/21/19 02:37 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

New York expanded Medicaid, so they got tons of federal aid for whatever state insurance system they have. Most other states did not, because OBAMA.

Medicare Part D covers prescription drugs, it costs about $30-40 a month.

Medicare Part A covers most medically necessary surgeries but you'll get a bill from the anesthesiologist, the ER doctor, and anyone else who sees you that is contracted by the hospital instead of employed by them.

Medicare part B covers most medically necessary expenses but they don't necessarily pay the whole bill. Each month you get a notice from them telling you what you are liable for.

Parts A and B run about $126 a month.

Supplemental plans to cover what Medicare doesn't run around $200 a month. Less if you tie it all into a private Advantage plan.

Since I'm disabled and poor my Medicare premiums are paid by the State of Florida, I also qualify for Medicare Extra Help which covers some of my more expensive expensive drugs. When my medical expenses go over about $900 for the month Medicaid kicks in.

I can't afford a supplemental policy and since almost everything is handled by the state or the federal governments I'm afraid to mess with private Advantage plans which can completely replace Medicare and depending on how much you pay they can almost eliminate out of pocket expenses.

#317015 - 10/21/19 02:48 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Medicare covers prescription drugs, vision and no co-pays in NY. No dental.

Medicare covers the same things everywhere. Ophthalmologists(Vision) are covered for glaucoma screenings, eye care and exams, but they will not pay for eyeglasses or testing for eyeglass prescriptions.

If you have any sort of government insurance it is not Medicare, you aint old enough, son! It's Medicaid whatever NY chooses to call it.

#317017 - 10/21/19 03:10 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: logtroll]
chunkstyle Offline

With all that money pouring into the state. Unreal.
Same up here I suppose. The epicenter of capitalism with rural and urban poverty rates that are near feudal. Luckily we do have social services still. For now. Most of our hospitals are going out or getting bought up in this consolidation phase of health biz.
My mom’s supplemental is around 200/month with copays on prescriptions, Office visits.
I’m trying to remember when the ides of a national health care system was first talked about?
Roosevelt? His Uncle before him?
It’s so odd that we Americans are so reactionary or so easily frightened away from public goods or services.
Or have been. Maybe that’s changing

#317018 - 10/21/19 03:26 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: logtroll]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm currently in a fight with my wife's Medicare Advantage provider over a medication. It runs $250/month. Medicare pays half. But it is now nebulized, which under her plan has no copay. BUT, according to her provider, "it is not on the "Medicare Part B" formulary," they insist. How do I know what is on "the formulary?" The contract doesn't say that, it says "nebulized medications". (Actually, it says "medications administered by durable medical equipment (e.g., nebulizer) authorized by the plan".) It's that ambiguity - is it the medication, or the durable medical equipment, that has to be authorized by the plan? - that is the basis for the fight..

It is these kinds of fights, which I am better equipped than the average Joe to fight, that are not considered by most policy makers. The point of "Medicare for all", at least under Bernie's vision, is to eliminate these fights. But, can it? I'm not convinced.

#317020 - 10/21/19 03:58 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: Greger]
chunkstyle Offline

Yes it is Medicaid and the current ‘Healthy NY’ proposal would have us not sending state dollars to DC to have it sent back to the state as Medicare dollars. Letting them, instead, be used to fund this program proposal. It’s getting a hearing in the Capitol. Unfortunately for the Democrats, they lost their republican excuse to do nothing as the states blue dogs were voted out in 18’.
I know all about medical bills. When I bleed out financially and can no longer pay shop rates of doctors offices out of pocket, Medicaid will pay for the opiates. This is the well tread path. Who would a thought having Dunkin’ Donuts rum our health care would have put the emphasis on the commodification of disease and not restoration of health.

Edited by chunkstyle (10/21/19 03:59 PM)

#317025 - 10/21/19 07:48 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Gov. Ron DeSantis has shown no interest in expanding Medicaid here. But he's done a fine job otherwise. Once Trump is out and a few more red states sign onto it he may change his mind.

Quote:
the commodification of disease and not restoration of health.

I don't quite buy into that narrative. They aren't hiding the cure for cancer so they can sell more chemo drugs. You wanna restore your health you can eat better and get more exercise. Doctor's gonna do his best to cure you and if he can't he'll do what he can for your symptoms. What more has anyone ever been able to ask?

Our chances of being cured of whatever ails us has never been better than it is today. And it will get even better tomorrow.

Getting that healthcare to the poors is the tricky part.

#317028 - 10/21/19 11:50 PM Re: Public option vs Medicare for All [Re: Greger]
chunkstyle Offline

Uhhh....no.

Here's some numbers and empiricals that are supposed to change minds and win arguments. Health quality comparisons

health costs comparison

I guess you could make the case that if the poors got more healthcare the trend lines might improve. My view is that it's a profit driven endeavor and the results are pointing to that fact.

Here's a quick 10 yr. average chart comparison (select the 10 yr. option) of the healthcare sector compared to the S&P average:

Fat city for investors

real expensive.
so so outcomes
fat returns

The sector is doing fine.

Edited by chunkstyle (10/21/19 11:50 PM)

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Snarky_Politics, Moot, Ikari, perotista, ttwtt78640
6282 Registered Users
A2