by Greger
09/27/20 09:05 PM
How much do police really cost?
by jgw
09/27/20 05:00 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/26/20 09:00 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 07:41 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 05:38 AM
Bloomberg raises $16M to pay fines of 32K former felons so they can vote
by pdx rick
09/24/20 09:42 PM
The Republican Platform
by pondering_it_all
09/22/20 09:22 PM
Global warming predictions
by pondering_it_all
09/20/20 09:04 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by CPWILL
09/20/20 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
09/19/20 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
09/19/20 06:57 PM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
17001 Topics
303087 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 10 of 28 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#317620 - 11/01/19 04:48 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
All California counties have housing shortages. Not so much because of immigration as because residents of the state keep on having kids. Those kids grow up, get jobs, start families, and want a place to live other than their childhood bedrooms. Want less urban sprawl? Support Planned Parenthood.

#317628 - 11/01/19 11:43 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
perotista Offline
journeyman

I disagree that liberals are worried about dwindling farm land. Yes, their all into what you mentioned. Which if fine as I side with them on those issues. But being pro-choice has nothing to do with building more subdivisions and shopping malls, the like turning once bountiful farmland's into concrete and asphalt.

Yes, modern equipment, hybrid seed, has increased the amount of food per acre by ten or more fold. The use of insecticides and other disease inhibiting sprays has also helped increase the yield. But at some point in time, we'll reach the the max or some disease or insect will become immune to the above and wreck havoc. Mother Nature can also play havoc.

Regardless of political ideology, political party, this planet of our can only support so many people. Can Soylent Green be that far around the corner? Perhaps China had the right idea, limit each family to one child. Drastic, yes. Workable, no.

Humans I believe are paving their way to their own destruction be that eradicating farmland, sooner or later there will be a nuclear, chemical or biological war, or perhaps something natural will occur. Asteroid, Super Volcano, pandemic, something else.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#317629 - 11/01/19 11:48 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: perotista]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

Are you saying real estate development interests should be curtailed?

#317647 - 11/01/19 10:14 PM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: chunkstyle]
perotista Offline
journeyman

All I'm saying is that there is just so much farmland. The human population is booming, farmland is shrinking. Someday those lines will cross.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#317650 - 11/01/19 11:45 PM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: perotista]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: perotista
All I'm saying is that there is just so much farmland. The human population is booming, farmland is shrinking. Someday those lines will cross.

Farmland is also losing its fecundity and resilience. All of those modern productivity enhancements are turning out to be more cancers on the environment. Something like 50% of atmospheric CO2 loading has come from maltreatment of the soil.

It should be a major concern.

#317656 - 11/02/19 12:06 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: perotista]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Well, lucky for us, global climate change is set to wipe out at least half the population and send the rest back to the stone age, or perhaps a sort of dystopian garbage age where primitive tools are hammered from rusting old automobile frames.

Y'know the sky's the limit if you decide the future is going to be ugly.

The future is not going to be like the past. It's not going to be like the present either. But it's going to be okay. Because a lot of smart, motivated people are going to make it okay.

#317658 - 11/02/19 12:12 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: logtroll]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

WORD!

The carbon that is being released into the atmosphere thru industrial farming is not talked about nearly enough. Can’t remember where I read it but the carbon content of the Midwest soil is being depleted. Scary stuff as I recall.

#317661 - 11/02/19 04:47 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Beto is out. He'd be smart to run for Senate even though he says he won't. smile

#317662 - 11/02/19 11:04 AM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: pdx rick]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: pdx rick

Beto is out. He'd be smart to run for Senate even though he says he won't. smile

I would have never voted for him anyway. But he was in second place in Texas which has their primary on super Tuesday. It was Biden 26.8, O'Rourke 16.5 with Warren and Sanders in 3rd and 4th.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_democratic_primary-6875.html

The question becomes is which candidate will be able to pull in the most O'Rourke supporters? As for the senate, Cornyn isn't Cruz, he's more popular. Trump has a 50% approval rating in Texas, 45% disapprove so O'Rourke probably couldn't ride the anti-Trump vote to a win against Cornyn who is much more liked by Texan's as a whole than Cruz was. My opinion at this time anyway.

#317670 - 11/02/19 03:15 PM Re: And we're off and running! [Re: perotista]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
O'Rourke probably couldn't ride the anti-Trump vote to a win against Cornyn

Spot on.
I had early hopes for O'Rourke as the centrist candidate between Biden and Bernie. It didn't pan out as he was never able to capitalize on his earlier success in Texas. He has since taken all sorts of radical positions in an effort to catch the eyes of progressives, none of which would be popular if he ran against Cornyn.

Page 10 of 28 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2