Current Topics
Bro or NOT Bro?
by logtroll
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by CPWILL
12:06 AM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by CPWILL
11:37 PM
Democrating Efforts
by CPWILL
11:23 PM
Bloomberg
by chunkstyle
09:51 PM
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by pondering_it_all
09:46 PM
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by pondering_it_all
08:56 PM
Why not?
by jgw
07:15 PM
Thorium Reactor
by jgw
07:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhh - the perfection of Capitalism
by jgw
02/16/20 09:43 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
02/15/20 10:08 PM
Prognostications on the demise of Herr Dicktater
by logtroll
02/15/20 04:10 PM
Iowa caucuses fail dismally.
by Greger
02/14/20 09:43 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by Greger
02/13/20 07:17 PM
Above the law: DOJ lowering Stone sentencing
by pondering_it_all
02/12/20 09:07 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
02/12/20 05:30 PM
Android support for CHB
by Jeffers
02/09/20 07:54 AM
Romney
by jgw
02/08/20 07:49 PM
All The President's Men
by Greger
02/08/20 07:38 PM
Biden(s)
by pondering_it_all
02/07/20 10:53 PM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16818 Topics
295615 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#318635 - 12/05/19 03:57 AM Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator
Jeffery J. Haas Online   happy
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Democratic Presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg told a PBS journalist that Xi Jinping, General Secretary of the Communist Party of China is not a dictator.

WaPo link

Quote:
Earlier this fall, Mike Bloomberg said that Chinese President Xi Jinping is “not a dictator,” and that the long-ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) “listens to the public.”

Now that the former mayor has entered the presidential contest, comments like this are coming back to haunt him.

Haunt him? It should totally disqualify him! mad

YES, YES, YES, this is VERY troubling, I find it downright reprehensible, and it is the sign that everyone should interpret as that of another crooked billionaire who seeks to remake the world to suit his personal agendas, all over again.

It does not matter if he is running as a Democrat because upon acting on his personal beliefs that Ping isn't a dictator, he will damage the country just as much as Trump is right now. This is, quite simply, a total dick punch to everything we believe about freedom.

So, instead of becoming a tool of Putin, we'd become a tool of Ping.
Great.... rolleyes :doh: dunce .... just great. <<<(sarcasm!)

Yes, he IS too intelligent and well connected not to know any of this. He's fully aware of this but preserving and boosting his own fortunes apparently come first, as can be seen by such a self-serving statement.

The good news is, it's extremely doubtful Bloomberg even has a marshmallow's chance in a cyclotron of ever getting near the White House.
And with this, I suspect he has just roasted his own ass.

#318638 - 12/05/19 08:48 AM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I think he may actually be right. China is an authoritarian state enabled by democracy, strange as it seems. What they aren't is a Republic ruled by laws, like we supposedly are. So their government can do anything convenient to any Chinese Citizen, including break them up for spare parts, (but here's the important part) with the approval of the majority of the people.

The majority of Chinese people think The Communist Party is the group who should be in charge, and trust the Party to chose it's leaders.

The huge difference from Western Democracies is actually at the individual level: They have no Bill of Rights or any rights at all. Their biggest defect is the tyranny of the majority.

#318646 - 12/05/19 05:14 PM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: pondering_it_all]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I think he may actually be right. China is an authoritarian state enabled by democracy, strange as it seems. What they aren't is a Republic ruled by laws, like we supposedly are. So their government can do anything convenient to any Chinese Citizen, including break them up for spare parts, (but here's the important part) with the approval of the majority of the people.

The majority of Chinese people think The Communist Party is the group who should be in charge, and trust the Party to chose it's leaders.

The huge difference from Western Democracies is actually at the individual level: They have no Bill of Rights or any rights at all. Their biggest defect is the tyranny of the majority.

Sorry but I can't agree. One Party totalitarian state, not a republic.
That in and of itself is sufficient to make ANY person who is "elected" a dictator by default, because the Chinese people are unable to utilize the rule of law.
Absent the rule of law, you have a dictator.

Is that person a "benevolent" dictator? Sure, as long as you obey, sure he is. He will even allow you to become a billionaire, just don't cross him or disagree with his authority in any way, not even in a chat room or on television, or even in open conversation in the public sphere.

I'm not all that interested in any "According to Hoyle" definitions of a dictator, because as correct and proper as Hoyle may be, practical real world evidence sometimes defies Hoyle altogether.

There are a great many things that a "Hoyle" can't rule definitively on, starting with the lowly Euglena.

Even if Xi Xinping is a "euglenic" figure, the Chinese people have no frame of reference within their own nation to compare to, not in all their six thousand years of existence.

I am forced to intepret Bloomberg's statement as both CYA for his significant Chinese investments and as a deep bow to Chinese authority. In a very practical sense, especially given Ping's consolidation of personal power unmatched since Mao, the Chinese people effectively live under a dictatorship.

#318647 - 12/05/19 07:22 PM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
I don't much care what Bloomberg thinks. One billionaire president is one too many. China seems to do okay for itself, so I don't worry about them.

#318656 - 12/05/19 11:31 PM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: Greger]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Greger
I don't much care what Bloomberg thinks. One billionaire president is one too many. China seems to do okay for itself, so I don't worry about them.

Oh of course, I just can't imagine him saying that helps HIS chances very much. Hmm

#318659 - 12/06/19 12:36 AM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I think you are ignoring "what the Chinese people want", in favor of "What would be good for the Chinese people". That's a bit condescending. I also think you are equating "democracy" with "good".

But the US is NOT a democracy! It's a Constitutional Republic. We have basic rules, and we are supposed to follow those rules in spite of the majority opinion. Often, the Supreme Court decides that something popular is not constitutional and enough of us honor their decision.

That does not happen in China precisely because it is a democracy, but has all the worst features of democracy. What they are ignorant of is that you can have a Republic that has some rules, and still elect Parties like the Communist Party if that's what you prefer. And apparently they do.

Yes, about 1/3 of the working population is outside of the Hukou system, meaning they have moved (usually for work) outside of their registered living area. So they don't get a lot of benefits like education and health care. But 2/3 of the working population IS in the system! That's the biggest conflict in China today, but twice as many of them like it the way it is.

Funny thing, is that the US also has some Hukou-like rules as well: Lots of states have residency requirements for government programs and state school tuition. School districts usually have district residency rules as well.

#318684 - 12/06/19 05:20 PM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: pondering_it_all]
Carpal Tunnel

I think you are ignoring "what the Chinese people want", in favor of "What would be good for the Chinese people". That's a bit condescending. I also think you are equating "democracy" with "good".

But the US is NOT a democracy! It's a Constitutional Republic. We have basic rules, and we are supposed to follow those rules in spite of the majority opinion. Often, the Supreme Court decides that something popular is not constitutional and enough of us honor their decision.

That does not happen in China precisely because it is a democracy, but has all the worst features of democracy. What they are ignorant of is that you can have a Republic that has some rules, and still elect Parties like the Communist Party if that's what you prefer. And apparently they do.

Yes, about 1/3 of the working population is outside of the Hukou system, meaning they have moved (usually for work) outside of their registered living area. So they don't get a lot of benefits like education and health care. But 2/3 of the working population IS in the system! That's the biggest conflict in China today, but twice as many of them like it the way it is.

Funny thing, is that the US also has some Hukou-like rules as well: Lots of states have residency requirements for government programs and state school tuition. School districts usually have district residency rules as well.

Well, if we're talking about "Athenian" style direct democracy, then NO, we are not that and never were. Generally speaking, when it comes to a constitutional republic, the term democracy refers to representative democracy, which is the buffered form of democracy that works well in the republican framework.

#318706 - 12/07/19 02:50 AM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

"works well in the republican framework" if the representatives are all ethical gentlemen, like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. Doesn't seem to work very well if one Party goes off the rails and captures many branches.

#318714 - 12/07/19 06:35 AM Re: Bloomberg: Xi Jinping is not a dictator [Re: pondering_it_all]
Carpal Tunnel

"works well in the republican framework" if the representatives are all ethical gentlemen, like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. Doesn't seem to work very well if one Party goes off the rails and captures many branches.

True that.
Our Founders didn't go far enough in accounting for depravity and moral bankruptcy. Or...they must have decided that if it ever gets that bad, we don't deserve our republic anyway, screw the bastards, they probably said.

"Madam, we have given you a republic...IF YOU CAN KEEP IT."

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 55 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2