6288 Members
60 Forums
16792 Topics
294225 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#318791 - 12/09/19 05:22 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: chunkstyle]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: chunkstyle
Cant remember where, but I remember a similar post to this ones that was going off on certain people needing to get their way over the greater good.

Amazon getting refused public subsidy was one as I recall.
How dare they! Donít they know how the real world works?!

Amazon Expands in New York Without Taking Billions in Public Cash

The AOC haters are now pinning their tantrum on "forward-looking statements" issued by an Amazon prospectus.
Anyone who has read investment portfolio forward looking statements knows that they sound a lot like inflated used car salesman claims, and the company making those statements are under no obligation to fulfill said claims, hiding behind generic disclaimers...about said statements.

If AMZ had been serious about "the 25 thousand jerbs", they would have had the guts to put it in writing minus such disclaimers.

Now they can claim they were going to "create 25 BAZILLION jerbs" and it won't even matter.

If I ISSUE forward-looking statement disclaimers, I TOO can promise twenty-five berzillion jerbs.
Anyone here at the Rant need a new job? LOL

#318797 - 12/09/19 07:24 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
I guess you can't blame Amazon for trying...?

Personally, I admire Jeff Bezos.

Quote:
Bezos was born Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen on January 12, 1964, in Albuquerque, the son of Jacklyn Gise Jorgensen and Ted Jorgensen.[6] At the time of his birth, his mother was a 17-year-old high school student, and his father was a bike shop owner.[7] After Jacklyn divorced Ted, she married Cuban immigrant Miguel "Mike" Bezos in April 1968.[8] Shortly after the wedding, Mike adopted four-year-old Jorgensen, whose surname was then changed to Bezos.

He wasn't born into wealth. A lot of stories that start out like that don't end nearly as well.

He revolutionized marketing worldwide. I used to buy books from him when that was all he sold. Back then the nearest bookstore was over an hour away. Amazon would mail them to me! Now I just click on it and it and it is on my nightstand by the time I get to my bedroom. Does this guy deserve to be filthy rich or what?

Degrees from Princeton in Electrical Engineering and Computer science in 1984. Worked on Wall Street in related fields for a few years, then moved from New York to Seattle and started selling books online.
Then he expanded.

Genius. He built the railroads of modern commerce.

But that's just the shiny side of the coin.

#318806 - 12/09/19 10:28 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: jgw]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

Bezo's figured out you could buy stuff online and the post office would deliver it for him.

He didn't invent anything. He's a marketing/business guy.

He got there first is all. I can't see his compensation in any way related to any tangible benefits to society that are unique from him.

We had the post office. Ditto fed-ex, UPS, Internet.

He has done a Bill Gates in that he's avoided Taft-Hartley while Amazon accounts for half the internet transactions.

Break it up I say.

#318824 - 12/10/19 06:38 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
One thing I have never figured out is why ebay is cheaper than Amazon but most stuff ordered, from Ebay (in the United States) comes in Amazon boxes. I have always found this to be a bit odd. I also have noted that people all seem to prefer Amazon over Ebay.

I did learn, several years ago, that one should NEVER get anything for 'free' from Amazon as you will be subscribing (with absolutely no head's up) to something that will dun you forever.

#318849 - 12/11/19 10:12 AM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The reason you get ebay stuff in Amazon boxes, is because that's an Amazon box the seller already had from an Amazon order. I've got tons of empty Amazon boxes!

Amazon is a LOT more reliable than ebay. On November 19th, I bought something on ebay. The "seller" never shipped it. I had to wait until 12/10 to ask ebay to step in. They did give me a refund right away, once I could explain the issue, but that's 21 days of rattling around in circular weblink limbo. I knew he hadn't shipped it on day 3. Almost everything I order on Amazon is shipped for free the same day, and arrives in a day or two.

#318858 - 12/11/19 02:50 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Online   content

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: jgw
One thing I have never figured out is why ebay is cheaper than Amazon but most stuff ordered, from Ebay (in the United States) comes in Amazon boxes. I have always found this to be a bit odd. I also have noted that people all seem to prefer Amazon over Ebay.

I did learn, several years ago, that one should NEVER get anything for 'free' from Amazon as you will be subscribing (with absolutely no head's up) to something that will dun you forever.

This is like getting a "free" tablet from your cell phone company.

#318869 - 12/11/19 06:05 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Bezo's figured out you could buy stuff online and the post office would deliver it for him.

Sears figured that out a long time ago...where are they today?

Break it up? Because he was too successful? Because he made too much money and for some reason that's morally repugnant?

Message here is that success is bad and the government should put a stop to it.

Au contraire mon frere!

Government should tax the f*ck out of it.

#318878 - 12/11/19 07:14 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

You are right about sears. I have 2 sears stores within 15 miles of where I live. An interesting thing is that Mexico still has Montgomery Wards! (and also sears).

I suspect, however, that sears kinda left mail order for retail store. Now, however, Amazon is making moves to get into retail store. I don't think that retail store is a real good place to be right now...............

Then again I am not really sure about mail order either. Seems tv runs at least 1 story a week on how somebody stole packages left on porches. Probably a good opportunity for somebody to start building secure delivery boxes for the home? I think that the post office is starting to cut back on their stand alone mailboxes. I wonder if they are surplussing them. That would allow somebody to get them, repaint them, and sell them to homes. Those things would probably hold small packages?

#318879 - 12/11/19 07:15 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Actually its been explained to me. When I get an ebay order in an Amazon box it means that the seller is also an Amazon seller and ships at the Amazon rate which is better than ebay's

#318881 - 12/11/19 07:19 PM Re: All or Nothing OR My Way or the Highway [Re: Greger]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

He accounts for half the internet transactions. I don't think Sears managed that much dominance. Amazon will only get more dominant than it already has become in the transaction portion of retail.

Yes, It's both morally repugnant and economically inefficient that capital accumulation has gotten so out of hand.

I agree absolutely he should be getting taxed.

Edited by chunkstyle (12/11/19 07:19 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos, Integritas
6288 Registered Users
A2