by pdx rick
05/30/20 01:52 AM
Trump may be ahead!
by rporter314
05/29/20 01:29 PM
A Thought Experiment about COVID-19
by pondering_it_all
05/26/20 01:45 AM
Is there a free market solution for the pandemic and economic collapse?
by Greger
05/25/20 08:59 PM
Genius: how to make of a surgical mask, an N95-equivalent
by GreatNewsTonight
05/25/20 03:51 AM
The Way We Were
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/25/20 12:46 AM
What's for dinner?
by GreatNewsTonight
05/24/20 08:18 PM
Reinfection of COVID19
by jgw
05/23/20 06:42 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/23/20 04:14 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:58 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16920 Topics
300175 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 45 46 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319283 - 12/25/19 03:13 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: logtroll]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
What else is there to do in the dead of winter?

At one time, I am sure that the question was not hard to answer.

I thought NWP would be hard at ramping up his campaign for a seat in Congress?
You know, this is honestly the most seriously I've considered running for office. My wife, though, doesn't want to share me. Opportunities like this are so rare. But she's really enjoying our life as it is right now.

#319297 - 12/26/19 02:11 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
1.1 is the speed I usually work with

I started online stock trading over dialup. 56K was state of the art then. Works fine for email and text-only websites.

#319298 - 12/26/19 02:15 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:
My wife, though, doesn't want to share me.

It's a huge commitment. Too much for most people. Generally just true altruists and psychopaths. You would be one of the good ones, but I don't expect anybody to disrupt there life (and retirement) that way.

#319302 - 12/26/19 04:13 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

It's definitely a calling. How would you even begin the get the support of the DNC? Hmm

#319303 - 12/26/19 04:20 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
DOH! I know why Trump hates wind generators! He recently lost a $300,000 lawsuit against the government of Scotland over an offshore windfarm near his golf course there. Everything is always about his personal wealth or his ego...

He has lost money for seven years running on the venture, including 1.1 million pounds last year alone. Perhaps another bankruptcy is in the offing?

#319330 - 12/27/19 05:06 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Plus, the groundskeepers have to go around and clean out all the holes every morning, Seems the locals have made a recurrent prank of "filling them", so to speak.

On a more pleasant topic: >How would you even begin the get the support of the DNC?

He would just let one Party official know he was interested in running and they would be all over him. Our NWP is so qualified and would be so appealing to voters he would help the Party win other races.

#319331 - 12/27/19 07:39 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm blushing. I do have a strong desire to put my body where my mouth is (or, at least my keyboard). That's how I ended up in the Army. The mental stimulation of all of those policy issues would be exhilarating. Maybe what I should do, though, is work on the campaign of whoever does run, and become a policy wonk for them. It would be nice to be "in charge", though...

#319332 - 12/27/19 07:45 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh man, the filing deadline isn't until May and the declared candidates are... not strong.

#319335 - 12/27/19 01:12 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Oh man, the filing deadline isn't until May and the declared candidates are... not strong.

Like the chance meeting of the guy in the stairwell who give me Rocksus, this was meant to be NW_P. smile

#319338 - 12/27/19 02:47 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
I'm blushing. I do have a strong desire to put my body where my mouth is (or, at least my keyboard). That's how I ended up in the Army. The mental stimulation of all of those policy issues would be exhilarating. Maybe what I should do, though, is work on the campaign of whoever does run, and become a policy wonk for them. It would be nice to be "in charge", though...

I going to offer a few observations (not advice) gleaned from a few decades of interactions with my Senators and Representatives, and other assorted elected officials. And from trying to do 'big' things and still have a life (and wife).

The idea that you have capabilities to provide policy support to a fresh Representative, I have no doubt. The idea that someone with whom you do not already have a long history of engaging with on policy issues recognizing that you are a valuable asset is hopeless. New Congresscritters, in particular, listen to money, as they are in constant campaign mode, given the realities of our political process. Senators tend to have more actual policy staff because the length of their term allows them to consider things that are not solely reactive to emergent events and fundraising. In any case, the elected will be the boss, and the boss always knows more than the staff.

Congresspeople don't generally have much in the way of policy staff, largely due to largely not having a policy focus or a budget for it, and largely due to the pressure from constituents to respond in doing something for them.

Most new Representatives will have big egos and be dumber than you, two big reasons why you would be extremely frustrated in any attempts to help them with policy issues.

If you run, you will have to be a salesman and a schmoozer to get elected. Those 'qualities' are more important than being smart and having good ideas. A politician has to sell that they are smart and have good ideas, as the majority of voters won't recognize it otherwise (see the paragraph above). The downside is that all too often the really good salesmen are dumb, lying, egotistical, and corrupt assholes (see example @#impotus) and you will have to compete with them in the campaign and again while in office.

On the subject of wives, from what you have shared in the past you have a high level of desire to be active, and possibly ambitious, while your wife does not share that desire, being older and content to be on a comfortable glide path into the future. That's a tough one. I don't even know how to talk about it. My wife isn't always happy about some of my windmill tilting, and I often long for a calmer and more predictable life of just doing my own projects, but there is also a strong feeling of responsibility that I have useful things to offer and would feel terrible if I abandoned the effort in favor of enjoying the rest of my life in idleness and ease. Fortunately, my lady shares a number of related aspirations (she always wanted to be a farmer) and is very willing to participate in some of the activities that come along with me and my mission.

I have considered running for local office before, but really don't think I would be all that good at it, and it would suck up valuable time and resources from what I am good at.

I bet those ramblings don't help much, but hey, it could be an interesting new topic!

"How do folks make big decisions in life?"

Page 3 of 46 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 45 46 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2