by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:21 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/18/20 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/17/20 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by Greger
09/08/20 08:25 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by Irked
09/08/20 04:02 AM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
The Republican Platform
by jgw
09/03/20 07:15 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
voters who don't
by pondering_it_all
09/01/20 08:35 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
08/31/20 12:43 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pondering_it_all
08/30/20 08:06 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16994 Topics
302801 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319304 - 12/26/19 12:12 PM Re: Long overdue Satirizing the corporate news media [Re: logtroll]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: logtroll
I posted it because it appears to describe where Chunks is coming from.

Chait is to liberals what Brooks is to conservatives. A courtier who will hopefully wake up one day and realize his influence and following was always small.

He still is competent at doing what he does, however, which is servicing the liberal class and telling them what they want to hear.

Smearing critics and making false accusations he takes what’s common knowledge and observation like, say, the increasing criticism of the left of the Democratic Party power structures and their impediments to economic and social justice, and creates false conclusions that reinforces the legitimacy of those power structures.

His takeaways are always ‘we did nothing wrong’ followed by a ‘it’s their fault we lost’.
He attempts to neutralize critics of his meal ticket by creating phony frameworks. The other side of the same coin as Brooks or Douthat, etc..

When I see Chait talk about corruption in the DNC or critique the incompetence of the historically expensive 2016 democratic presidential campaign as he does smearing Steins recount finances I’ll believe Chait is arguing in good faith.

Gawd, ‘anti anti Trump’ impeachment! Only the liberal class would elevate a smear as clumsy as that!

My only question is what’s so mysterious about where I’m coming from, Logtroll, that you need a courtiers framing to have it explained to you?

Should I go looking at BP press releases to understand your biochar opinions?

Edited by chunkstyle (12/26/19 12:14 PM)

#319311 - 12/26/19 03:14 PM Re: Long overdue Satirizing the corporate news media [Re: chunkstyle]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

Sadly, another victim of a hedge fund bustout, the Splinter online lefty news site is nolonger. A lot of young turks came out of that camp doing what Yutes do; being irreverent and, more importantly, speaking truth to power. Why atists, intellectuals unions and students always get the hammer first.

I've referenced/linked out to Alex Pareene's The Long, Lucrative Right-wing Grift Is Blowing Up in the World's Face awhile back and consider it one his best pieces and distilled so much of the right wing into a coherent bio.

I especially appreciate his analysis of Chait and others of his ilk. Basically fancy liberal lads who want to tell you how the real world works:

'Here is a very instructive passage from a column he wrote in 2006. The rest of this column is dedicated to listing the many ways in which Joe Lieberman, then engaged in a bitter primary fight, was a terrible Democrat. But:

In the end, though, I can’t quite root for Lieberman to lose his primary. What’s holding me back is that the anti-Lieberman campaign has come to stand for much more than Lieberman’s sins. It’s a test of strength for the new breed of left-wing activists who are flexing their muscles within the party. These are exactly the sorts of fanatics who tore the party apart in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They think in simple slogans and refuse to tolerate any ideological dissent. Moreover, since their anti-Lieberman jihad is seen as stemming from his pro-war stance, the practical effect of toppling Lieberman would be to intimidate other hawkish Democrats and encourage more primary challengers against them.

This is Chaitism distilled: They may be right—about Joe Lieberman, about the Iraq War, about the racism of the conservative movement—but they are right for the wrong reasons, and we cannot let them gain a foothold.

You Are Jonathan Chait's Enemy

I've been happy to see Libby Watson, Hamilton Nolan, Rafi Schwartz, Paul Blest and the other young voices coming out of that online zine find new writing homes.

Edited by chunkstyle (12/26/19 03:17 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (Greger), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2