by pondering_it_all
09:06 PM
Mysteries not solved
by pondering_it_all
08:58 PM
Little Houses
by Greger
08:32 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pdx rick
07/06/20 05:30 AM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16960 Topics
301091 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319798 - 01/08/20 08:14 PM Roman Catholicism
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Roman Catholic Church is in serious trouble and its starting to show. Where I live there used to be 3 communities that had Catholic churches and a priest for each. Now they have 1 and he is trying to take care of them all. This is, after talking to some other folks I know, not unusual. The Catholics, in other words, just can't field any priests - they have run out. The Seminary around Seattle has been closed and sold off, this is also true with some churches as well. This too is no longer unusual. I went to Rome a few months ago. Noticed that the Catholics are actually turning churches over to municipalities because they have neither the flock nor the priests to deal with them. I talked to a friend who was also traveling through Europe with her husband at the same time and she noticed this in most of the places she went.

I can remember, when I was a teenager that the church was importing a LOT of Irish priests but, that pool no longer exists. The last group of foreign priests was from Africa (used to have one of them here). Basically, the church is out of priests and its getting worse every day! In other words the church is, basically, starting to shut down.

I am sure there are a lot of reasons for all of this. One is probably all about priests who abuse children. One would think they would have fixed this one but, not really, pops up all the time!

The interesting thing is that they could fix the problem overnight. Its really quite simple. Allow female and married priests! The child abuse would end rather swiftly (women tend to not put up with child abuse). I know a couple ex-priests who are now married and no longer priesting. Both belong to what seems to be an organization of such ex-priests. They have told me that if the church allowed married priests there are over a 1000 that would go back to priesting. Then there is the question about female priests which I will not address as anybody half awake understand that one. One other thing. If you are, say, an episcopal priest, married, with children and want to priest as a Roman Catholic - no problem, come on in and bring your wife! Nothing like that for women - apparently they just don't like women and even treat their nuns poorly. Oh, there used to be married priests. That stopped over property, wives, for some reason, want to own the houses they raise their children in - church didn't approve of that one.

This is one that has bothered me for a long time. I used to be a practicing catholic but that was a very long time ago. But what is going on now I just find interesting and thought I would post this for the heck of it.

Oh, I don't intend to insult any Catholics or, for that matter, any other religion. Its just kinda sad to see an organization, over a thousand years old, starting to fail due to a somehow manly attitude.

#319799 - 01/08/20 09:15 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
The Roman Catholic Church is in serious trouble and its starting to show. Where I live there used to be 3 communities that had Catholic churches and a priest for each. Now they have 1 and he is trying to take care of them all. This is, after talking to some other folks I know, not unusual. The Catholics, in other words, just can't field any priests - they have run out. The Seminary around Seattle has been closed and sold off, this is also true with some churches as well. This too is no longer unusual. I went to Rome a few months ago. Noticed that the Catholics are actually turning churches over to municipalities because they have neither the flock nor the priests to deal with them. I talked to a friend who was also traveling through Europe with her husband at the same time and she noticed this in most of the places she went.

I can remember, when I was a teenager that the church was importing a LOT of Irish priests but, that pool no longer exists. The last group of foreign priests was from Africa (used to have one of them here). Basically, the church is out of priests and its getting worse every day! In other words the church is, basically, starting to shut down.

I am sure there are a lot of reasons for all of this. One is probably all about priests who abuse children. One would think they would have fixed this one but, not really, pops up all the time!

The interesting thing is that they could fix the problem overnight. Its really quite simple. Allow female and married priests! The child abuse would end rather swiftly (women tend to not put up with child abuse). I know a couple ex-priests who are now married and no longer priesting. Both belong to what seems to be an organization of such ex-priests. They have told me that if the church allowed married priests there are over a 1000 that would go back to priesting. Then there is the question about female priests which I will not address as anybody half awake understand that one. One other thing. If you are, say, an episcopal priest, married, with children and want to priest as a Roman Catholic - no problem, come on in and bring your wife! Nothing like that for women - apparently they just don't like women and even treat their nuns poorly. Oh, there used to be married priests. That stopped over property, wives, for some reason, want to own the houses they raise their children in - church didn't approve of that one.

This is one that has bothered me for a long time. I used to be a practicing catholic but that was a very long time ago. But what is going on now I just find interesting and thought I would post this for the heck of it.

Oh, I don't intend to insult any Catholics or, for that matter, any other religion. Its just kinda sad to see an organization, over a thousand years old, starting to fail due to a somehow manly attitude.

I don't think I can add anything except applause.
:applaud:

It's incredible how recalcitrant the Vatican is over the issue of married priests and female clergy.
BTW I had no idea an Episcopal priest, married or not, was even allowed to minister in a Catholic church.
I'd never seen such a thing as a child when I was still practicing.

Yes, I too am a "fallen away Catholic" and I do remember the importation of all those Irish priests. One of the most popular ones in my home church was a Father Toohey (sp?) who enjoyed his scotch as much or even more than the laity, and he was welcomed into our home and the homes of all the friends of my parents.

#319806 - 01/08/20 11:48 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
As a member of a minority religion it does my heart good to see Christianity, in any form, declining and failing.

Personally, I don't think the burning times ever ended, nor will they ever end as long as the ancient and powerful church continues to rule. Suliemani was deemed a witch and burned. Four transgender black women were murdered last year. The Republican Party is an arm of the church.

Catholicism was the first to crawl out of the primordial slime and perhaps it would be fitting if it were the first to die of attrition.

Who are most of the world's Catholics? Descendants of societies and entire civilizations conquered and enslaved by the Catholic Church. It was so thoroughly beaten and tortured into them that hundreds of years later they remain enslaved.

#319811 - 01/09/20 06:15 AM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Episcopal priests can't serve as Catholic priests, but they can convert to Catholicism. When they do, they can become Catholic priests even if they are married and have children. So that's one way to get a married priest. The Eastern Orthodox church encourages their priests all to marry. I wouldn't be surprised if such a married Eastern Orthodox priest was welcome to convert and could become a Catholic priest, too.

In light of the attraction the church holds for men trying to avoid their pedophilic or homosexual attractions by being celibate, I think the church needs to end the celibacy requirement ASAP.

#319833 - 01/09/20 08:17 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I think the church needs to end the celibacy requirement ASAP.

You love the church a lot more than I do then. I'd like to see an end to their reign of terror, that would just extend it.

#319836 - 01/09/20 08:38 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

They can. Basically, I have been told, ANY protestant preacher can convert, along with wife and child, and have at it.

I find it VERY strange and it kinda wrecks all their arguments against married priests but, then, that's true with a lot of the blarney. My big moment came when one no longer was sent to the burning fires of hell for not eating fish on Friday <sigh>

I feel the same about female priests too. Its all just wrong and its bringing them down and they must know it, so they just must not give a damn (almost a pun I think?)

Edited by jgw (01/09/20 08:40 PM)

#319847 - 01/10/20 02:47 AM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Catholic church in particular relied on a lot of mumbo-jumbo to convince folks to give everything to the church for some imaginary reward after you die. Those who weren't convinced had their sh*t stolen and their heads chopped off. Some were tortured.

#319849 - 01/10/20 02:51 AM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger
Catholic church in particular relied on a lot of mumbo-jumbo to convince folks to give everything to the church for some imaginary reward after you die. Those who weren't convinced had their sh*t stolen and their heads chopped off. Some were tortured.

There WAS a period where you didn't even get that first option.
They just came at you on horseback with swords drawn screaming "I come in the name of the Prince of Peace!" and blammo, they lopped off your head.

#319869 - 01/10/20 08:31 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

"They just came at you on horseback with swords drawn screaming "I come in the name of the Prince of Peace!" and blammo, they lopped off your head."

Kind of like America 'helping' with their armies?

We just do it better. In Iraq its said that we are responsible for killing something over 200,000 (those guys with swords were pikers - we just have better equipment?)

#319873 - 01/10/20 09:55 PM Re: Roman Catholicism [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
You never had to eat fish, if you didn't like it. Catholics just did not eat meat on Friday.

>You love the church a lot more than I do

No, I don't love the Catholic church at all. I do think the current Pope is one of the best ever, but the bar is pretty low. He's still not quite right on the molesting cover-up problem

Actually, I'm not even a Christian in the sense that people who call themselves Christians would think. I think there might have been a person name Jesus (probably actually Joshua) who did some preaching around 30 CE. But I agree with Thomas Jefferson: I think he was not divine (nor is anybody). God is a 4000 year old metaphor for everything we don't understand, which is less now than then, but still quite a lot. Anyway, back to Jesus: He developed a small following while alive, and then Paul (who never even met Jesus) turned it all into a cult of personality that had little to do with the stuff Jesus said. The Greek and later Roman branch of Paul's cult told the same stories (AKA The Gospel) over and over again for about 300 years before any of them were written down. Every storyteller adds embellishments to make their stories "better", so lots of common "miracles" were included from other stories going around. This is why we see so many miraculous things in the Bible that are identical to myths about Isis, Zeus, Zoroaster, and such.

An example of Paul's cult of personality is the current dogma that if you believe in Jesus as divine, you will be saved no matter what kind of crap you did to others. But Jesus is reported as saying (Matthew 25) that if you were kind to others less fortunate that yourself, you would go to heaven. Be a Republican bastard and you go to hell. No mention of sex, abortion, belief in Jesus' divinity, or even belief in God! So who do we believe, Jesus or Paul?

Paul says Jesus taught "Believe in me." I think Jesus said "Believe me". Huge difference.

I also think Revelations was just some hallucinations of a man who almost starved himself to death. These are dime-a-dozen in every crack house or mental institution in the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2