by perotista
0 seconds ago
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
Yesterday at 10:22 PM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by jgw
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:36 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 03:43 AM
What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems?
by pondering_it_all
08/05/20 12:13 AM
Normal Stuff
by pondering_it_all
08/03/20 10:07 PM
A possible solution to rental problems.
by Irked
08/01/20 12:21 AM
Ongoing Slavery
by jgw
07/31/20 05:06 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/29/20 01:33 AM
Seattle had a Riot!
by jgw
07/28/20 06:17 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
07/25/20 08:08 PM
Collections
by Greger
07/24/20 11:08 PM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pondering_it_all
07/24/20 09:35 PM
Deranged Trump supporter suspected in murdering son of judge
by Greger
07/24/20 05:54 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by logtroll
07/24/20 12:07 PM
Chad Wolf
by pdx rick
07/24/20 03:54 AM
why cities won't be able to stop Trump's secret police
by jgw
07/23/20 07:06 PM
Fox News anchor shared fabricated tweet in attempt to smear AOC
by rporter314
07/22/20 03:11 AM
We have now reached peak Libertarianism - and it is literally killing us
by jgw
07/21/20 07:07 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16977 Topics
301756 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319816 - 01/09/20 04:18 PM Re: Insulin [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
Originally Posted By: jgw

If I did need Insulin I would have gone out to all other insulin users as I assume that not all insulin users are broke. I would ask them to join an organization formed to create a company to make and distribute Insulin for the right price (cost of production and distribution plus a profit to save for problems).

Thing is, your life would immediately become a serious of unfortunate misunderstandings with the FDA.

True, but when it comes to black market distribution, the FDA has nowhere near the experience, resources, manpower or budget to deal with the level of underground distro that the DEA has had with street drugs, dealers, cartels, etc.

And the DEA itself is not equipped to handle the optics of busting underground distro of lifesaving medication, so while they certainly would get involved and try to help the FDA, again...optics.
What does the public think of FDA and DEA "cracking down" on seniors and disabled people who are resorting to any means necessary to get the lifesaving medications that they cannot afford in the retail pharma sector.

I do not think news coverage of drug agents and the FDA hauling away people in wheelchairs and the folks who supplied them with their meds will play well in Peoria.
Peoria loves it when the po-po busts crack dealers, but Great Aunt Effie and her supplier going to the pokey because Effie couldn't afford her cancer drugs (or insulin) would cause Peoria to get out the pitchforks and torches.

In fact, it would play about as well as watching police arrest church people for feeding poor people..."without the necessary permits".

In fact, it might even meet with an even chillier reception, because disabled and seniors who need lifesaving meds are viewed even more sympathetically than the homeless.

1. Funding would be found. Ed Lilly and Norvo Nordisk would see to that.

2. The reception was chilly, but nothing changed.

Quote:
"Just because of media attention we don't stop enforcing the law. We enforce the laws here in Fort Lauderdale," Mayor Jack Seiler told WPLG.
He defended the law in an interview with the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.
"I'm not satisfied with having a cycle of homeless in the city of Fort Lauderdale," Seiler said. "Providing them with a meal and keeping them in that cycle on the street is not productive."
But Abbott, who has been helping feed homeless people in the area through his Love Thy Neighbor nonprofit since 1991, said authorities are targeting the city's most vulnerable residents.
"These are the poorest of the poor. They have nothing. They don't have a roof over their head," he said. "Who can turn them away?"
Recently, the city has also passed an ordinance limiting the storage of personal property in public, WPLG said. Then came the restrictions for food sharing.
"The city passed an ordinance requiring us to have a Porta-Potty. It's ridiculous. The whole thing was designed to rid Fort Lauderdale of its homeless," Abbott said. "Police told me anyone who touches a pan ... anyone who is involved, will be arrested."

https://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html

That was 2014.

Quote:
San Diego attorney Scott Dreher said in a telephone interview a dozen people were arrested over the weekend for sharing food with homeless people in an El Cajon park. Offenders were charged with two misdemeanors, but no one was taken into custody, Dreher said.

The attorney said Mayor Wells has made controversial public statements about homelessness in the county — statements that could be used in court to show that the food-sharing law is discriminatory.

https://www.courthousenews.com/a-dozen-people-arrested-for-feeding-the-homeless/

That was 2018. There are at least 6 other examples in the last two years, to include seven people in Tampa in 2017.

A chilly reception means nothing at all.

Edited by Hamish Howl (01/09/20 04:18 PM)

#319827 - 01/09/20 07:29 PM Re: Insulin [Re: Hamish Howl]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Of course the perfect defense for feeding the homeless is religious duty, as in Matthew 25: If you want to go to heaven, Jesus said you HAVE to feed the hungry. That "religious duty" thang has been a big part of Republican platforms lately, so I think charging people under these laws is something that generates a big stink in the press.

#319828 - 01/09/20 07:37 PM Re: Insulin [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Black market meds? Didn't we just have a huge health scare with black market vape cartridges?

So can guys make insulin in their garages? I'm a carpenter, not a chemist. THey can make heroin and meth and a variety of other illicit or counterfeit drugs.
Quote:
the DNA code for making human insulin is placed into bacteria or yeast cells; the insulin made by this process is then purified and sold as human insulin.

Sounds easy enough?

Could we maybe buy a kit from Amazon to make our own insulin from household items?

#319831 - 01/09/20 07:45 PM Re: Insulin [Re: Greger]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Greger
Black market meds? Didn't we just have a huge health scare with black market vape cartridges?

So can guys make insulin in their garages? I'm a carpenter, not a chemist. THey can make heroin and meth and a variety of other illicit or counterfeit drugs.
Quote:
the DNA code for making human insulin is placed into bacteria or yeast cells; the insulin made by this process is then purified and sold as human insulin.

Sounds easy enough?

Could we maybe buy a kit from Amazon to make our own insulin from household items?

It's not easy at all. I mean, you can do it easily enough, but I wouldn't bet the farm on the purity.

#319835 - 01/09/20 08:21 PM Re: Insulin [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA

Edited by jgw (01/09/20 08:28 PM)

#319900 - 01/11/20 07:54 PM Re: Insulin [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
I wouldn't bet the farm on the purity.

So probably the best bet is to socialize medicine so no one goes without insulin or has to rely on the black market to afford it.

I've been in insulin heaven since I went on Medicare. I use the good sh*t now, the stuff I could never afford before. And I pay next to nothing for it. That's how it should be for everyone.

Medicare for all is the simple and elegant solution to all our healthcare woes.

#319903 - 01/11/20 08:27 PM Re: Insulin [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The difficult part is making the GMO bacteria or yeast. Once you have that, you can grow tons of it in a big stainless steel vat. You just have to make sure it is all sterile so you just grow the critter you want. Kind of like brewing beer. Then you get to do the other hard part, which is extracting and purifying the insulin. That bacteria or yeast doesn't just make insulin. It has to grow and multiply to fill the vat. What you end up with is a vat full of poop with a lot of insulin in it.

Fortunately for the brewing industry, we can drink yeast poop all day without harm. Diabetics can't inject the raw stuff.

#319904 - 01/11/20 08:30 PM Re: Insulin [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

Fortunately for the brewing industry, we can drink yeast poop all day without harm. Diabetics can't inject the raw stuff.

Been reading a little Vonnegut lately? LOL

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2