Current Topics
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by Greger
59 minutes 8 seconds ago
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by Hamish Howl
Today at 03:30 PM
The Compleat Skywalker Saga (spoilers?)
by Hamish Howl
Today at 03:10 PM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by Hamish Howl
Today at 02:56 PM
The Impeachment of Donald trump
by Hamish Howl
Today at 02:55 PM
Minimum wage
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 04:12 AM
The Departed - 2020
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
I just don't get Trump
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
This 1 chart explains the factual political divide
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 02:17 AM
Is Capitalism doomed?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 01:46 AM
ISIS Leader Killed in U.S. Special Operations Raid in Northern Syria
by Greger
01/25/20 06:39 PM
iranian general qassem soleimani
by CPWILL
01/23/20 05:09 AM
My Obsessive Compulsion
by Greger
01/22/20 07:08 PM
Real Truths
by Hamish Howl
01/21/20 05:38 PM
Warren v. Sanders
by Greger
01/21/20 01:10 AM
Global warming predictions
by Hamish Howl
01/20/20 10:13 PM
All The President's Men
by jgw
01/20/20 09:16 PM
Roe v. Wade Is Under Immediate Threat
by CPWILL
01/20/20 07:08 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by perotista
01/20/20 02:00 PM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16799 Topics
294591 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#319967 - 01/13/20 01:25 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
He can't even decide what he thinks the WORD "IMMINENT" even means!

#319969 - 01/13/20 02:03 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: CPWILL]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
If we declared we no longer recognized the Iranian regime, wouldn't this same logic mean that there was no longer such a hindrance in killing its members?

No, because everybody else in the world recognizes Iran as a sovereign state. If anybody can just declare themselves sovereign, and that makes them sovereign, that's the same argument as our so-called Sovereign Citizens. Nobody else thinks they are sovereign, so they are just criminals when they break laws. Same for beheading, kidnapping, keeping sex slaves, etc. All things ISIS did.

#320079 - 01/16/20 05:30 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Hamish Howl]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hadn't jumped in yet, but I thought I ought to. I'm starting with HH's post because it sets up the discussion well:
Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
Well, anyway, calling Soleimani a terrorist is a category error.

He was a commissioned officer working under the auspices of his nation. You'd think the right wingers would latch onto that, because it makes Iran even more culpable, but when you say it, everyone starts screeching that you love Iran and hate America.

Thing is, category errors are the worst kind of mistake, because they blind you to reality a piece at a time, and eventually you have what is called an "outside context problem", because you can no longer see things coming as they exist in the real world.

It's worth mentioning that any given individual or group that has an outside context event will only have one, because they typically aren't around long enough to have another one.
The assassination (definitionally) of Suleimani was, again, definitionally, an "act of war."

His designation as a "terrorist" is a political, not a legal designation. Legally, he was an officer in the Iranian military. Legally, we are not at war with Iran. Because we are not at war with Iran, legally, attacking Iranian military targets is an act of aggression, thus an "act of war" under both international law and U.S. domestic law. BTW, it should be noted Iran has also conducted a number of acts of war against the United States, including shooting down a drone.

What made Suleimani a "legitimate" target is his participation in combat activities in war zones. Iraq is one of them, as is Syria. His participation in these activities removes many of his sovereign protections (i.e., his status as an Iranian military officer). If he had merely been a "collateral effect" of an otherwise legitimate military operation (which we are legally authorized to conduct in Iraq), there would be no problem with this result. Oops, our bad! A little closer is his participation in activities hostile to United States troops, although it would be more difficult to prove that.

But the biggest problem isn't the legal one, it is the practical, tactical, strategic one. We have given up the high ground. Suleimani was, legitimately, the head of Iran's equivalent of Director of the CIA or Commander of US Special Forces Command. Do we want our officers and directors to be legitimate targets of Iran, or Russia, or Syria or any other agency with an axe to grind?

#320081 - 01/16/20 06:38 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Should probably mention that Iran has now called the Army of the United States a terrorist organization.

#320087 - 01/17/20 12:47 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: NW Ponderer]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I hadn't jumped in yet, but I thought I ought to. I'm starting with HH's post because it sets up the discussion well:
Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
Well, anyway, calling Soleimani a terrorist is a category error.

He was a commissioned officer working under the auspices of his nation. You'd think the right wingers would latch onto that, because it makes Iran even more culpable, but when you say it, everyone starts screeching that you love Iran and hate America.

Thing is, category errors are the worst kind of mistake, because they blind you to reality a piece at a time, and eventually you have what is called an "outside context problem", because you can no longer see things coming as they exist in the real world.

It's worth mentioning that any given individual or group that has an outside context event will only have one, because they typically aren't around long enough to have another one.
The assassination (definitionally) of Suleimani was, again, definitionally, an "act of war."

His designation as a "terrorist" is a political, not a legal designation. Legally, he was an officer in the Iranian military. Legally, we are not at war with Iran. Because we are not at war with Iran, legally, attacking Iranian military targets is an act of aggression, thus an "act of war" under both international law and U.S. domestic law. BTW, it should be noted Iran has also conducted a number of acts of war against the United States, including shooting down a drone.

What made Suleimani a "legitimate" target is his participation in combat activities in war zones. Iraq is one of them, as is Syria. His participation in these activities removes many of his sovereign protections (i.e., his status as an Iranian military officer). If he had merely been a "collateral effect" of an otherwise legitimate military operation (which we are legally authorized to conduct in Iraq), there would be no problem with this result. Oops, our bad! A little closer is his participation in activities hostile to United States troops, although it would be more difficult to prove that.

But the biggest problem isn't the legal one, it is the practical, tactical, strategic one. We have given up the high ground. Suleimani was, legitimately, the head of Iran's equivalent of Director of the CIA or Commander of US Special Forces Command. Do we want our officers and directors to be legitimate targets of Iran, or Russia, or Syria or any other agency with an axe to grind?

This is a thoughtful take, but I have to ask; what, exactly, do you think it is Iran has been doing, if not targeting our personnel? If the worry is "Well Iran May Decide To Try To Get Some American Officers Killed", well, that boat has long since sailed.

#320088 - 01/17/20 01:46 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: CPWILL]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
what, exactly, do you think it is Iran has been doing, if not targeting our personnel?
Or one could ask what is the US doing in Iraq, threatening Iranian sovereignty?

So the question is would Iran be targeting US military personnel if the US was no int Iraq? or Afghanistan?

We have been at war with Iran since 1979 and only the Iranians seem know it.

#320089 - 01/17/20 03:32 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: rporter314]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
one could ask what is the US doing in Iraq, threatening Iranian sovereignty?

I could get more upset with Iran if they were stationing troops in Canada and lobbing missiles into Michigan.

#320093 - 01/17/20 05:06 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Greger]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
think 1962 ... one of my uncles was flying 30 days in the air a SAC bomber ...

yeah paranoid folks get batsheiscrazy if you make a move which looks like a threat

#320095 - 01/17/20 05:43 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The main problem is that killing Suleimani sets up an Iranian assassination of an American Secretary of Defense or Commander-In-Chief as tit-for-tat in the eyes of all the other countries of the world. What's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander. Which Republicans don't seem to understand.

They do stuff they would scream about if the Democrats did to them, with no thoughts about next week, or next year when power shifts the other way. Like refusing to vote on Merrick Garland. Do they think they can do that and not have it done back to them? Or changing Senate rules so a simple majority is all that's required to get their way? What happens when the Senate shifts back to a slight Democratic majority?

#320117 - 01/18/20 12:07 AM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
We f*ck 'em square in the ass is what happens.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2