by pdx rick
26 minutes 59 seconds ago
congress gets
by jgw
Today at 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
Today at 06:30 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pdx rick
Today at 05:17 PM
Decisions
by pdx rick
Today at 04:27 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by pdx rick
Today at 02:06 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:40 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
Yesterday at 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Irked
07/01/20 01:06 AM
Attorney to testify DOJ gave Roger Stone favorable treatment
by jgw
06/28/20 05:48 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by Greger
06/28/20 05:02 PM
kickass Facts
by jgw
06/27/20 06:58 PM
Donald Trump - The Greatest President
by jgw
06/27/20 05:26 PM
The Maximum Wage
by pondering_it_all
06/26/20 09:00 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16956 Topics
301024 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 13 of 46 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45 46 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#320005 - 01/14/20 06:04 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger
...please.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. Trump is impeached, do you hear Bibi calling him corrupt?

It was kinda sarcastic and therefore rhetorical. Of course Trump won't call him corrupt and Bibi would never imply that Trump was corrupt either. Those terms are reserved for leaders who either don't grovel, or who appear weak to him, or those who don't have power he can't push back against without hurting his position.

#320045 - 01/15/20 12:59 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

jgw is getting A LOT of snow where he lives. He's been hit the last three days, plus 8" last night. gobsmacked

I only got 1-1/2" Monday night, and nothing last night. Work is getting hit too. Corp sent us home at 2:00pm yesterday. Near work, roads and freeway were muddy/slushy on the way home, but when I got back to my neck-of-the-woods, bone try. Hmm

We got back home at 3:15pm and it was nice to be home when the sun was still out, for a change. smile

#320057 - 01/16/20 02:54 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

A top Trump official floats the idea of getting rid of unwanted ethnic groups by putting them on trains - without crediting the people who originally had that idea.

Newsweek.com

#320063 - 01/16/20 08:41 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Just free upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. I'm amazed how well everything is working. It seems to have remembered everything from my 7 settings. It did take about 3 hours, but what do you want for $0?

#320066 - 01/16/20 12:25 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
Ujest Shurly Offline
journeyman

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Be ready for those no notice updates, especially when you are turning the computer off for the night. Should be another update around the 25th.

I like WIN10 Home, very stable.

Here are a few things you may want to do.
TechAdvisory.org

Welcome to Win10

Edited by Ujest Shurly (01/16/20 12:28 PM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#320076 - 01/16/20 03:32 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Just free upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10. I'm amazed how well everything is working. It seems to have remembered everything from my 7 settings. It did take about 3 hours, but what do you want for $0?

I managed to run my 8.1 workstation ("The Beast II") for the entire lifecycle of Win8 with zero issues and lo and behold, one week before the EOL for Win7, it just died on me, a motherboard failure.
Currently waiting for the builder to finish Beast III, and it will be Windows 10 as well.
Karen's machine is already upgraded, so are the machines owned by both kids, and our Surface of course came new with it preloaded.

I think it is well past time to retire the age-old sneering campaign against Microsoft PC's because although it took a while for them to get their act together, it's clear that their OS is more than capable now.

It's kind of a pity that my old processor, which is perfectly good, and my RAM, is sort of worthless now. It would be great to plant them on a decent used motherboard and run them into the ground for another few years.

Guess it's time to go search eBay or Craigslist!

#320091 - 01/17/20 04:16 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Running a 2014 Air Mac OS Catalina v10.15.2 smile

Annual free OS upgrades every October. Best computer I have ever had. Bow

#320097 - 01/17/20 06:24 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I already had automatic patching turned on, so my computer would often decide to keep on running for a while after I shut it down for the night. It also would take a while to get finished updating every Wednesday morning. No big deal. I'm retired. Nothing urgent anymore.

I have had great luck with a pretty nice laptop I bought used after it came off a 2 year lease. It had an I5 processor and 4 GB of RAM, so I didn't need to upgrade it. From Day 1, I have kept it hooked to a 22 inch monitor and a mouse, so it works more like a desktop. I also bought one of those tiny little PCs for my wife when her desktop box crapped-out. It also has an I5 and came with Windows 10. Hard to believe a whole PC fits in a 4" by 4" by 1" box, but it does. Again, 22 inch monitor and mouse. In fact, you can bolt it on to the back of a monitor, if you like.

#320098 - 01/17/20 07:22 AM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

This is just sad:

Trying to Pray a Toddler Back to Life

Quote:
Christianity is a religion built on an account of a physical resurrection. But it is rare to see 21st-century American Christians praying for the dead to be raised in real time. Since last weekend, however, a prominent megachurch in Northern California has been calling on its members and followers to “pray for a miracle of resurrection” for a 2-year-old girl who died last weekend.

There is some speculation about exactly why she died. Her church and parents subscribe to some pretty extreme forms of child discipline. Some comments on the story by locals claim the church and their beliefs are very extreme. Duh!

#320100 - 01/17/20 02:30 PM Re: ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I already had automatic patching turned on, so my computer would often decide to keep on running for a while after I shut it down for the night. It also would take a while to get finished updating every Wednesday morning. No big deal. I'm retired. Nothing urgent anymore.

I have had great luck with a pretty nice laptop I bought used after it came off a 2 year lease. It had an I5 processor and 4 GB of RAM, so I didn't need to upgrade it. From Day 1, I have kept it hooked to a 22 inch monitor and a mouse, so it works more like a desktop. I also bought one of those tiny little PCs for my wife when her desktop box crapped-out. It also has an I5 and came with Windows 10. Hard to believe a whole PC fits in a 4" by 4" by 1" box, but it does. Again, 22 inch monitor and mouse. In fact, you can bolt it on to the back of a monitor, if you like.

Isn't that funny...my daughter's ancient HP laptop that I am using right now DID HAVE a working screen last time I took it on the road but when my W-S died I turned on this lappy and no screen. No problem, HDMI out on this lil booger, straight to one of my big monitors, so I too am using it as if it was a desktop, a very underpowered dual core Win7 desktop.

But my new "Beast III" should be ready today.
It's going to be quite a bit of work getting all the old programs reinstalled again and all the hard drives connected up and installed, but I am looking forward to it.
Also, I don't want to be "potentially unprotected" in Win7 any longer than necessary.
I guess I COULD take an unused Win8.1/64 disc and install it on this clunker but do I really want to revive an ancient lappy with a dead screen? Hmmm, maybe for emergencies.

But if it's eight years till the next "emergency", will this old thing even know how to handle the internet of the future?

Maybe one of those tiny mini-machines would be in order.

Page 13 of 46 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45 46 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2