by Greger
09/27/20 09:05 PM
How much do police really cost?
by jgw
09/27/20 05:00 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/26/20 09:00 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 07:41 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 05:38 AM
Bloomberg raises $16M to pay fines of 32K former felons so they can vote
by pdx rick
09/24/20 09:42 PM
The Republican Platform
by pondering_it_all
09/22/20 09:22 PM
Global warming predictions
by pondering_it_all
09/20/20 09:04 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by CPWILL
09/20/20 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
09/19/20 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
09/19/20 06:57 PM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
17001 Topics
303099 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#320085 - 01/16/20 07:06 PM Real Truths
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA

#320094 - 01/17/20 05:25 AM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I liked this story better:

Trump Claims He Knows John Dingell Is In Hell Because He Sees Window Into Terrifying Inferno Every Time He Closes His Eyes

Speaking of damnation, my sister-in-law says she hasn't signed up for Medicare because her dead mother told her not to. She claims to be a devout Catholic, and is doing this as some sort of modern mortification of the flesh. But as far as I can discover, it looks like the Catholic Church forbids communication with dead relatives unless they are beatified saints. Is this heresy? Any Catholics out there?

#320116 - 01/17/20 11:22 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

She should join Opus Dei a merry band of self flagellants who tend towards hair shirts and other clever mortifications. They will help her! She can join up with TV talking head Senator Santorum, amongst others. They also have schools which have got to be pretty fun all by themselves. Praise the Lord!

I am a product of a Catholic Education (NOT Opus Dei!) I had a nun tell me that if I ever met a Ghost I should has him/her/it what is wanted. (don't remember must of those days but I do remember that, and the interesting fact that before they pulled the nuns out the kindly parishioners were letter the nuns starve (really!)) The nuns were also really good at applying a ruler to the backs of wayward student's hands <G>

Never heard anybody say you couldn't talk to dead relatives though. Probably OK. There is a good chance they probably had a place for such (they used to have a number of 'interesting' schools for youth). Those were, of course, the good old days, who knows now? The current pope is actually try to challenge the celibacy thing for priests!

Oh, Praise the Lord!

Edited by jgw (01/17/20 11:23 PM)

#320118 - 01/18/20 01:16 AM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
The best time to talk to dead relatives is at Samhain or Beltane, when the veil between this world and the underworld is at its thinnest. I've never heard of any of the dead relatives actually answering though so I'd probably take the whole thing with a grain of salt if I were you.

#320120 - 01/18/20 03:53 AM Re: Real Truths [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Don’t think I wanna talk to any dead relatives...

#320141 - 01/18/20 07:19 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
She's serious about this. It's fine to talk to dead relatives, but I suspect an old-school priest would tell her when they answer back, that's actually Satan talking. A more modern priest would send her to a psychiatrist. She's always been fairly delusional. A reiki practitioner, now turned Catholic devotee. With a schizophrenic sister. At age 60, she went order shopping so she could become a nun. I explained to her that orders wanted young women who could spend their live doing useful work, and they were actually kicking 60 year olds out to avoid paying for their retirement. So now she just spends all her spare time and a large chunk of her income on not just one, but two Catholic churches. One wasn't enough.

#320144 - 01/18/20 08:37 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Real Truth is that Christianity teaches delusion as fact and some folks with a pretty loose grip on reality often fall into its grasp. They don't live in this world or for this world. The sooner it ends, the happier they will be. Because Paradise awaits.

It's a dangerous cult. Always has been.

#320173 - 01/19/20 07:40 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

A nit pick. A cult, in the dictionary is a SMALL group of religious whatevers. There are 1.2 BILLION Roman Catholics. Catholic Charities USA, has more than 2,500 local agencies that serve 10 million people annually. Trump recently gave Religious Charities the right of way for gov stuff. These are, incidentally, the reason for their clout.

https://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/

#320177 - 01/19/20 08:03 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St. Olaf"

a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
"a network of Satan-worshiping cults"

Similar:
sect
religious group
denomination
religious order
church
faith
faith community
belief
persuasion
affiliation
movement
group
body
faction
clique

a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"

Cherry picking your Merriam Webster again aren't you. Look up above ^
Christianity contains all these things and more. It's a cult. It started small, but its lies were so pervasive it grew into a juggernaut. Yahweh is a greedy and selfish god, his worshipers strive to be like him.

#320213 - 01/20/20 03:42 PM Re: Real Truths [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: jgw
A nit pick. A cult, in the dictionary is a SMALL group of religious whatevers. There are 1.2 BILLION Roman Catholics. Catholic Charities USA, has more than 2,500 local agencies that serve 10 million people annually. Trump recently gave Religious Charities the right of way for gov stuff. These are, incidentally, the reason for their clout.

https://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/

Size of the organization means nothing. The best definition I have yet seen for a "cult" includes the following:

Quote:
Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

• No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

• No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget or expenses, such as an independently audited financial statement.

• Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

• There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

• Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

• There are records, books, news articles, or broadcast reports that document the abuses of the group/leader.

• Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

• The group/leader is always right.

• The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Which I gotta say looks familiar these days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2