by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 07:52 PM
On Coronavirus vaccines
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 07:45 PM
Why your SARS Cov2 conspiracy theories all suck
by jgw
Today at 06:38 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 06:26 PM
Disaster and the Party of Lemmings
by jgw
Today at 06:05 PM
Green New Deal
by logtroll
Today at 12:04 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 02:58 AM
RoundTable - SPRING 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Searching for a cure
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
national healthcares
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
Trump really doesn't
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 09:38 PM
America's Lost State
by jgw
Yesterday at 05:28 PM
What's for dinner?
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 11:51 AM
Alternate Reality
by Greger
04/06/20 09:26 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
04/05/20 01:26 AM
Duty
by jgw
04/04/20 07:14 PM
Forum Stats
6290 Members
60 Forums
16870 Topics
297961 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#320277 - 01/21/20 04:17 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: CPWILL]
Hamish Howl Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: CPWILL
Originally Posted By: Greger
I'm not sure I much give a rat's ass what happens in the Middle East. They're adults and capable of governing themselves, there is no constitutional mandate that suggests we need to force them to do it one way or another.

As the old saying goes, you may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.

Obama probably would have continued to delay taking serious action against ISIS. But then they started launching attacks in the West. (shrug)

There have been exactly two (2) ISIS attacks in America. One miserable failure that killed exactly no people, and a husband and wife team that killed 14 people in a mass shooting in 2015.

This is worth an endless, non-stop military engagement?

I can see retribution strikes, but not a "forever war".

#320279 - 01/21/20 04:47 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: CPWILL]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Obama probably would have continued to delay taking serious action against ISIS. But then they started launching attacks in the West.
One speculation. Another would be Pres Obama faced a strong headwind from Republicans regarding US intervention in places other than Iraq (note this may have been for a variety of reasons, almost all of which were simple justifications for the US to be on the border of Iran and opportunities in oil). When Pres Obama gave his infamous (according to Republicans) JV answer about ISIS, the current IC assessment was ISIS was nothing more than a small group in the desert (too bad they didn't have good intel). I suspect Pres Obama would have been more willing than you believe had he had a more accurate assessment of the threat.

It is always amazing how people have opine on history, it is always with 20/20 hindsight. I mean how can you get it wrong.

#320293 - 01/21/20 06:51 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
you may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.

No, war doesn't give a feck about me. Your fascination with it and feverish endorsement of it is cute though. Do you believe violence is the answer to all problems?

#320297 - 01/21/20 07:08 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: CPWILL]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   happy
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: CPWILL
I'm not sure I much give a rat's ass what happens in the Middle East. They're adults and capable of governing themselves, there is no constitutional mandate that suggests we need to force them to do it one way or another.

As the old saying goes, you may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.

In the Middle East? I hardly think anything is of interest to us aside from oil and Israel, in that order too, by the way.

If we were actually paying the TRUE cost of our oil, and that means tacking the cost of our military misadventures to the pump instead of through a series of largely unnamed taxes, you'd see support for the ME dip dramatically overnight because that pump price would be about eleven bucks a gallon overnight.

SO, war is NOT interested in me, OIL companies are interested in war.

#320300 - 01/21/20 07:19 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

CP has made it clear he does not believe oil is a factor in the Middle Eastern wars.

#320301 - 01/21/20 07:21 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   happy
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
CP has made it clear he does not believe oil is a factor in the Middle Eastern wars.

Sorry but every single energy expert and every single petroleum company CEO disagrees. So does Trump, who repeatedly insists we can just take the oil.

#320305 - 01/21/20 07:32 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Hamish Howl Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas

Sorry but every single energy expert and every single petroleum company CEO disagrees. So does Trump, who repeatedly insists we can just take the oil.

Nobody wants the oil itself.

They want to control the rate at which that oil is allowed to flow to the market. That's what gets you rich like Goddamn pharaohs.

#320310 - 01/21/20 07:51 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I think he is probably right. The wars in the middle east is based, basically, on the simple fact that Sunnis and Shia have been having a war for over 1000 years. its actually that simple.

Its also interesting that the Iraqis youth are so sick and tired of it that those sides have joined forces to get ALL non Iraqis out of Iraq. I have no idea where that goes but it is interesting and, possibly, the first time both parties have gotten together to do something.

All that being said the fact remains - there is war in the Middle East. Its been going on for over 1000 years and we decided, I don't know when, to help our best pals, the Saudis. That was probably the beginning of spending, literally, trillions of dollars to do a little 'helping' (we LOVE to 'help'!)

ITS TIME TO GET THE HELL OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST - ALL OUT!

#320313 - 01/21/20 07:53 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

And the only card Iran holds in the game is the 26 mile wide Straits of Hormuz. Upstream is the Persian Gulf, from which all Saudi oil flows.
F*ck with Iran enough and they will turn it into a flaming junkyard and turn off the oil spigot American interests rely upon.

We can't just bomb them back to the stone age without looking like big bullies on the world stage so they've got to attack us before the bombing begins. Iranians know what's up though, so all they ever do is the little token counterattacks.

#320325 - 01/21/20 08:52 PM Re: iranian general qassem soleimani [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
We are not actually dependent on Saudi oil: It goes to other countries. But oil is fungible, like money. So any cutoff of Saudi oil would raise the price of oil worldwide, and US oil companies would benefit by selling their US produced oil to those other countries. IS the conflict with Iran a case of oil companies' tail wagging the dog?

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan
6290 Registered Users
A2