by Greger
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Global warming predictions
by Greger
Yesterday at 09:25 PM
West Coast Burning
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:52 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 05:18 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/17/20 08:17 AM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/15/20 12:20 PM
Barr is acting as ‘personal henchman’ of Trump
by Greger
09/13/20 09:33 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by Greger
09/08/20 08:25 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by Irked
09/08/20 04:02 AM
Covid Long Haulers
by jgw
09/07/20 06:23 PM
The Republican Platform
by jgw
09/03/20 07:15 PM
A post, on facebook, by my granddaughter that covers it all pretty good!
by pondering_it_all
09/02/20 07:27 PM
The Democratic Fight
by jgw
09/02/20 06:09 PM
voters who don't
by pondering_it_all
09/01/20 08:35 AM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pdx rick
08/31/20 12:43 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pondering_it_all
08/30/20 08:06 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16994 Topics
302773 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#320398 - 01/22/20 07:34 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: Greger]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Greger
But there are still Republicans who imagine themselves to be a part of this dead ideology. Old fashioned conservatism has long since given way to the new better model. More guns, more god, and less people of color.

Republicanism is not conservatism. Today's Democrats are more conservative than your average Trump voter. Although they use the term loudly and proudly. In a word, they have become radicalized.

If the Republican Party hopes to become conservative again it needs to purge the white supremecists, the nationalists, the Nazis, The KKK, Evangelical Christians, and corrupt elected officials who have turned it into the circus of bigotry that it is today. Republicans have catered to the desires of that crowd until they have simply become that crowd.

But at least we have them all corralled in one place for now.

If the dems could get rid of Wallace, the GOP can get rid of the freak right wing.

#320412 - 01/22/20 11:36 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: pdx rick]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: CPWILL
America's original sin was steeped in Conservatism. Conservatives are all about racism and bigotry.

See, when you lead off with something as powerfully ignorant as that, it makes it really hard to take anything else you say seriously.

Ok Boomer...

smile I'm in my mid 30s. A millennial, technically, according to some measures.

Quote:
My history of Conservatism begins with Reagan.

Then you are way way late to the party. wink Burke, man, start with Burke smile.

Quote:
What I have seen of Conservatism, what they say, how they act, how they treat others especially the poor, minorities, women, LGBT since I have been cognizant of the world around me, has informed my view of what a Conservative is. [b]Sounds like that reality upsets you.[b]

Nope. I've met plenty of people who were ignorant of and hostile to those who weren't like them. It's a common part of the human condition - and increasingly the norm in political debate. :-/

Quote:
For the recored, my parents voted Republican. Both of my parents were racist, misogynistic, patriarchal, homophobic and xenophobic. I moved out two months BEFORE my 18th birthday - I couldn't wait to escape those people.

For the record, this is not a terribly good counter to the suggestion that perhaps you are projecting your personal feelings onto an entire group of people who are your Other.

#320413 - 01/22/20 11:37 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: pdx rick]
CPWILL Offline

I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest you have little to zero study in the intellectual history of conservatism.

If you do the Great Courses, however, there's a neat little remedy to that I can recommend.

I don't need some archaic dusty old book to tell me what a Conservative is, I can form my own opinion based upon observation. smile

The Great Courses are Audio, and they're fantastic. You get the best college lecturers, lecturing on their subjects of expertise (in this case, an intellectual history of conservatism).

Given the human tendency towards confirmation bias and fundamental attribution error, you may find some actual education beneficial wink

#320414 - 01/22/20 11:39 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: Hamish Howl]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
I'm gonna go way out on a limb and suggest you have little to zero study in the intellectual history of conservatism.

If you do the Great Courses, however, there's a neat little remedy to that I can recommend.

I don't need some archaic dusty old book to tell me what a Conservative is, I can form my own opinion based upon observation. smile

Another way of saying that is that the term "conservative" that we grew up with is totally alien to today's GOP.

Totally? Nah. But it is definitely not as good a fit as it was previously. The GOP has decided that certain portions of Fusionist Conservatism - which sort of defined political conservatism in the U.S. since Buckley founded National Review - are not going to be expressed in this administration. It remains to be seen if (for example) rejection of the free market and a forward leaning defense posture are things the GOP will keep once it's ridded itself of the baleful influence of its current head.

#320419 - 01/23/20 12:10 AM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: CPWILL]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
perhaps you are projecting your personal feelings onto an entire group of people who are your Other.

Black people often foolishly project their racism onto white people too. Perhaps gays feel this way about Republians.
Republicans don't hate you, RIck, they hate your sin and are trying to save you from eternal damnation.

I'm pretty sure the right dosages of certain drugs and sufficient torture should do the trick.

#320428 - 01/23/20 12:50 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: CPWILL]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
For the record, this is not a terribly good counter to the suggestion that perhaps you are projecting your personal feelings onto an entire group of people who are your Other.

If it walks like a duck, and quack like a duck, it's a duck.

It's not Liberals who were protesting the take-down of Civil War monuments in Charlottesville, it was Conservatives.

Conniving dishonest sociopaths piss on peoples legs, and tell them that it's raining. The only light in your Conservative world, is gaslight. Own who you are. smile

#320448 - 01/23/20 07:49 PM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: CPWILL]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California

smile I'm in my mid 30s. A millennial, technically, according to some measures.

In 1985, presumably the year of your birth, Republicans and conservatives in general, were considered the CAUTIOUS wing of our electoral body. The Democrats were considered the dreamers and bold explorers.

Now, admit that there is nothing wrong with either position, and maybe even a lot of good in both as well.
Admit that and you can get a fairly decent picture of the notion that it's okay to disagree with and still respect your opposition.
You might want to go into outer space and explore new ways to harness technology for the greater good of mankind.
Your opposition wants to know how it gets paid for, and wants to hem in waste and fraud. Your opposition wants definable goals and provable hypotheses, and they want clearly defined fiscal restraints and a deadline.

Your opposition is the Republican Party, and you can't dispute their call for caution and frugality. They're just keeping you honest.

Today, we are no longer bold dreamers, we are not Americans. We are not even considered to be human beings.

"Democrats are not Americans"

Suffice it to say that, for as long as you have been a politically aware adult, (assuming age fifteen as maybe the start date) all you know of liberals is that they are the Devil, they are not really true Americans, and they might not even be human beings.

Yeah, maybe you may want to reach back a few years before you were born to get some more perspective.
I know, I know: "Okay Boomer!"

#320464 - 01/24/20 02:58 AM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
...In 1985, presumably the year of your birth...

wink

Who's ever met a Conservative who is in their 30's? coffee

#320469 - 01/24/20 03:42 AM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California

wink

I have three nephews who are conservatives in their thirties.
Oh, and their wives, too.

#320470 - 01/24/20 04:12 AM Re: US budget deficit hits $984 billion, highest in 7 years [Re: pdx rick]
CPWILL Offline

wink

Now you have - lucky you! laugh

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2