by Greger
Today at 09:10 PM
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by Greger
Today at 05:47 PM
Bloomberg
by Greger
Today at 05:38 PM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by CPWILL
Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Democrating Efforts
by CPWILL
Yesterday at 11:23 PM
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:56 PM
Why not?
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:15 PM
Thorium Reactor
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhh - the perfection of Capitalism
by jgw
02/16/20 09:43 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
02/15/20 10:08 PM
Prognostications on the demise of Herr Dicktater
by logtroll
02/15/20 04:10 PM
Iowa caucuses fail dismally.
by Greger
02/14/20 09:43 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by Greger
02/13/20 07:17 PM
Above the law: DOJ lowering Stone sentencing
by pondering_it_all
02/12/20 09:07 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
02/12/20 05:30 PM
Android support for CHB
by Jeffers
02/09/20 07:54 AM
Romney
by jgw
02/08/20 07:49 PM
All The President's Men
by Greger
02/08/20 07:38 PM
Biden(s)
by pondering_it_all
02/07/20 10:53 PM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16818 Topics
295643 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#320509 - 01/24/20 06:53 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
Hamish Howl Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: Greger
Subsistence would be a little on the sparse side but I trust local government would get things straightened out

Um, okay.

#320521 - 01/24/20 11:33 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
You don't think the county trucks would be the first to arrive? City police, fire and rescue? Ambulances as needed and military assistance waiting in the wings?

What kinda large scale crisis are we looking at here? Over the years the nation has been through a few, as have many other nations throughout history. SH*t hits the fan and people pick up the pieces.

Are we such pussies that we can't do that anymore?

#320522 - 01/25/20 12:12 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   happy
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Greger

Are we such pussies that we can't do that anymore?

Ummm...YEAH, we are.
And not only ARE we becoming such pussies that we can't do it anymore, our fearless leader is telling everyone that it's perfectly okay to let people suffer and die after a disaster, if they weren't loyal to him.

Serves those goddamn Ricans right, throw some paper towels at them and mock their suffering.
And before that, stand in front of a Potemkin village in Louisiana and yell "heckuva job, Brownie!" and to this day, large parts of NOLA have still not been rebuilt.

And in California, forget about any aid unless you ask politely, and pick up some rakes to rake "the forest" like those good Swedes and Fins. They might be godless commies but they don't catch fire like American commies do.

So yes, we're pussies and we're being conditioned to become big fat angry pussies who cast judgment and withhold help when it suits us.

Oh oops, forgot about Hurricane Sandy...GOP sez "no help for New Yorkers", it's too expensive.

Not only are we being trained to think we CAN'T do it anymore, we're being trained to decide we WON'T do it anymore.

#320523 - 01/25/20 12:48 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Still the county trucks show up, legions of linemen, snowplows, ambulances, and volunteers. Truckloads of donated goods.

And the Mexicans. When the sh*t really and truly hits the fan you can count on the Mexicans to show up in droves and work their asses off to put sh*t right again.

#320524 - 01/25/20 01:17 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
You just one a them country Florida crackers, ainít got much money, but still the wealthiest olí codger in the swamp!

#320525 - 01/25/20 03:49 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Iíd like to see the Green New Deal focus on facilitating community self-sufficiency and resilience. I believe that would be one way to mitigate the potential effects of large scale crises through generally improved daily living conditions.

But we might be too far gone as pussies to make any changes.

#320526 - 01/25/20 04:12 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
The idea of sudden global, or large scale regional, crisis was broached in another threat, so I thought I'd give it its own.

The initial "what if" had to do with a severe disruption to our food supply chain. Several scenarios could potential cause a supply chain breakdown in a relatively short period of time - one year would be short, as food is typically grown on a one year cycle, though the "what if" was a 12 hour period (which makes a dramatic point, even if it is an unlikely scenario).

A short, and very general, list of causes of supply chain disruptions could be drought, abnormal temperature fluctuations, fossil fuel shortages, internet communications failure, worker shortages, and trade wars.

My current business is intimately tied to energy, climate change, and soil productivity, which causes me to think about these things on a regular basis. One recurring theme is that we are frighteningly unprepared to deal with any one or a combination of the possibilities, and there will be no realistic opportunity to respond in a meaningful way.

Thoughts?

This is a fantastic question.

For items like these, I am a huge fan of investing in resiliency / anti-fragility measures.

1. We need multiple sources of energy supporting the grid. Expanded Nuclear, Solar, Tide, Fracking, you name it - if it is a separate source of energy, we need it.

2. Similarly, public measures for increased individual self-sustainability (such as tax breaks for solar) are a positive for our survivability during disaster.

3. The Grid needs to be able to break into regional and sub-regional components as necessary, if it can't already (I honestly don't know), and should do so as an automatic trip-function.

4. Food is tougher from a public policy perspective. Individuals should:

A) Store supplies that can keep them for a few weeks, if not a couple of months.

B) Develop small self-production capability in non-urban areas (potatoes require very little space)

C) Have a bug-out plan if they are in an urban area that does not depend on public infrastructure working

#320532 - 01/25/20 12:17 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

As a practical matter, how do you envision those preparations come to be implemented?

#320533 - 01/25/20 01:22 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Here is a little vignette that pulls the curtain aside a tiny bit.

A couple of months ago I was visiting a small town that exists primarily to support a mountain resort. It was a few weeks before ski season was to open, so not crowded with people. The folks I was visiting (on business) wanted to take me out for a nice dinner at the resortís country club - the resort itself was a potential future customer. I had noticed that my cell phone service was not working properly since the previous evening, but where I live you expect a level of unreliability in sophisticated technologies.

We got to the country club and were met in the lobby by the manager, who apologized profusely because they could not serve us as the internet was down and their entire operation was run by a cloud based management system. Inventory tracking, order-taking, billing, none of it worked. They did not know how to do any of it ďmanuallyĒ.

We tried another restaurant (there werenít that many as the village only has 1100 permanent residents) and were turned away again. Another fast food place, same thing. The last try was a restaurant/bar that actually had some cars parked around it, so we stopped in there. Turns out, their electronic management system had tanked a month earlier so they had reverted to old school methods.

Such a minor thing... what if it had happened a month later and 5,000 tourists were in town?

#320538 - 01/25/20 03:21 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Or...

What if an EMP or some form of massive hacking took out a bunch of our communications network? What would be affected?

Communication
Gas pumps
Supply chains of all kinds
Electrical grid
Refrigeration

There would be no place to go and no solutions. It will be very smelly.

We desperately need a massive sanity check and culture change - a paradigm shift. It has to begin at the grassroots local level. Government will not lead it, but could follow behind (at some far distance).

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2