Current Topics
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Hamish Howl
Today at 04:46 PM
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by Hamish Howl
Today at 02:13 PM
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by Hamish Howl
Today at 02:07 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
Today at 01:24 PM
Heard any good car jokes lately?
by Jeffery J. Haas
Today at 02:07 AM
Democrating Efforts
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Bloomberg
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 09:16 PM
living library
by Hamish Howl
Yesterday at 02:44 PM
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:34 AM
Above the law: DOJ lowering Stone sentencing
by Greger
02/23/20 08:24 PM
Why not?
by chunkstyle
02/23/20 03:55 PM
Bro or NOT Bro?
by Greger
02/20/20 07:26 PM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by CPWILL
02/18/20 11:37 PM
Thorium Reactor
by jgw
02/18/20 07:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhh - the perfection of Capitalism
by jgw
02/16/20 09:43 PM
Prognostications on the demise of Herr Dicktater
by logtroll
02/15/20 04:10 PM
Iowa caucuses fail dismally.
by Greger
02/14/20 09:43 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by Greger
02/13/20 07:17 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
02/12/20 05:30 PM
Android support for CHB
by Jeffers
02/09/20 07:54 AM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16821 Topics
295876 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#320539 - 01/25/20 03:33 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
We are in a systems crisis...

Quote:
It is no wonder that following the inspirational lead of Greta Thunberg, some have seen little option except to take to the streets through protest movements like Extinction Rebellion. The hope is that sustained nonviolent resistance can compel governments to take the urgent action necessary to transition rapidly to fossil fuel free societies.

But there is a serious faultline in this approach. XR suffered from a serious lack of joined-up thinking. It was not grounded in a comprehension of the climate crisis as a systems crisis, and therefore failed to explicitly link up climate action to other key systems such as austerity, food, water, politics, culture, and ideology. XR therefore failed to appeal to the working class and largely occluded people of colour and diverse faith groups.

The other faultline is that the target of action ó national government ó may well have missed the point. Governments are merely nodes in a wider system of power which they do not really control, but tend to pander to ó a system of power which we are all to varying degrees and in different ways complict in.

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/escaping-extinction-through-paradigm-shift-83e33d4cb548

#320544 - 01/25/20 05:41 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: CPWILL]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
I am a huge fan of investing in resiliency / anti-fragility measures.

Sorry pal, nice thought, but you represent the party to which any such investment is anathema. No new taxes, no spending on infrastructure, no emergency management. And nothing, ever for the poors who are most devastated in times of crisis.

But it's nice to hear that deep down you're really a liberal.

#320557 - 01/25/20 08:32 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
To address the title of this topic. The question is a good one but the problem is a bit different. Basically nothing large scale will be done until the crisis has happened. This seems to be a fact of human nature. We have known about climate change for well over 2 generations - its scientific fact! But, the United States, the arguably richest and best educated major nation in the world has seen to elect a president that well not recognize global warming and seems incredibly ignorant of some basic facts.

I know, that's just one but it just goes on and on. We know, for instance, that our infrastructure, which supports most of our jobs (and other things) is melting down to utter failure. We have ignored that one for years too.

The simple fact is that most of our politicians mouth lots of baloney about this stuff but, once elected, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS! These are the politicians that WE elected! There is even groups, on all sides, that support these do nothing wastes of time as if they are actually the Lord Incarnate.

So, there are, I am equally sure, lots and lots of plans to deal with large scale crises but - ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Not only that but its OUR fault. Its pretty obvious that we would rather beat up each other anytime the opportunity occurs.

This actually may be some sort of weird definition of the species and I am equally sure we are working very hard to prove it.

#320559 - 01/25/20 09:07 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
This actually may be some sort of weird definition of the species and I am equally sure we are working very hard to prove it.

And this reminds me of that old saying that Republicans believe government is inept and causes more problems than it solves. And when in power, they set out to prove it.

They've been in power a long time. They cut off Obam's nuts after two years, they impeached Clinton, and it's a crying shame what they did to Carter. They vilified Johnson and shot Kennedy. Did I miss anybody?

State and local government are pretty much responsible for reaction and cleanup. If Uncle Sugar is in the mood he'll send some relief money when it's all said and done. Most of that will go into the hands of corrupt local politicians and business interests.

#320562 - 01/25/20 11:15 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Personally, we have several integrated bulk containers (250 gal) filled with rain water, and a solar power system that gives us 1200 watts if the electric grid is down and the sun is shining. We also have several solar recharged portable lights so we can find our way around the house and grounds at night. That might be enough power to keep the food in the freezer from going bad while we eat it. But I do have a bunch more solar panels I could rig up if need be. We also still have some avocados on the trees we would pick. So we are pretty well fixed for any infrastructure breakdown that only lasts about a month.

A more severe event like a nuclear attack: I overlook a lot of Camp Pendleton, so buh bye! No worries if you are safely dead.

I also have a thought on root vegetables: Not a lot of potatoes are grown in Chicago. It's probably not a good idea to plant a vegetable garden if you live there, lead-wise. Were I live, I get a pretty steady wind from the Pacific, so I doubt our soil has much lead in it.

#320573 - 01/26/20 02:00 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
We have a lot of stored potable water and lesser quality H2O for other purposes, lots of canned and dry goods, and a sh!t ton of battery operated lights, thanks to my film-TV career of the recent past.
I can generate almost 2kW off available batteries for about six hours but after that we either have to fire up our tiny gasoline gennie or run the cars, which of course would deplete needed fuel for transportation.

I've been thinking about getting a natural gas gennie for a while but right now we are in a tough spot financially so no dice on that for the next couple of months.

#320578 - 01/26/20 04:45 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
I am a huge fan of investing in resiliency / anti-fragility measures.

Sorry pal, nice thought, but you represent the party to which any such investment is anathema.

1. Your presumption is wrong - I left the GOP when they nominated an immoral carnival barker as their nominee.

2. Your assessment is, also, wrong - there is a heavy conservative movement into these sorts of things.

I think it tends to be a movement of the ends of both our broad divisions, actually - the more conservative you are, the more you care about this sort of thing, but usually from a perspective of anti-fragility and a desire not to be subject to the demands of others, and the more liberal you are, you care about this sort of thing, but usually from a perspective of environmentalism. The letters to the editor for publicans such as the Mother Earth News, for example, can contain an entertaining mix of the far left and far right :p

But you seem to be confusing this with:

Quote:
No new taxes, no spending on infrastructure, no emergency management.

Which is incorrect. Republicans aren't against infrastructure spending, they tend to oppose (during Democrat administrations) massive government giveaways that are titled "infrastructure" spending, but which don't, actually, take care of much infrastructure. Infrastructure maintenance is boring, and involves spending bit by bit, year by year. It's not a "shovel ready jobs" program. Additionally, it was a Republican President who created NORTHCOM, and DHS.

Everybody wants to get disaster management right. From a purely partisan position, it's one of the few areas where we actually expect something from our leaders, and punish them if they don't provide it.

Quote:
And nothing, ever for the poors who are most devastated in times of crisis.

This is also incorrect. Conservatives tend to give more of their own money, time, blood, and effort to help the poor, and also tend to show up during disaster to physically help. The Cajun Navy isn't made up of a bunch of Feminist-Protest-Poetry majors.

Quote:
But it's nice to hear that deep down you're really a liberal.

smile Conservatives in this country are generally trying to conserve classic liberalism. The liberals are the ones who stole the name after Progressive got such a bad rap following the Wilson Administration wink.

But, of course, this thread is about trying to adapt to large scale crises, not about trying to throw stones at what we imagine each other's associated political parties to be. smile

Edited by CPWILL (01/26/20 06:44 PM)

#320579 - 01/26/20 04:48 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:

And this reminds me of that old saying that Republicans believe government is inept and causes more problems than it solves. And when in power, they set out to prove it.

They've been in power a long time. They cut off Obam's nuts after two years, they impeached Clinton, and it's a crying shame what they did to Carter. They vilified Johnson and shot Kennedy. Did I miss anybody?

Kennedy was shot by a Communist. Respectfully, adding in ridiculous accusations like that doesn't do much to credit your other claims. President Pen And A Phone didn't lose anything other than a crap-ton of seats for his party down-ticket.

Edited by CPWILL (01/26/20 04:48 AM)

#320584 - 01/26/20 01:42 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Mrs. Munchkin sides with Greta.
Mr. Munchkin mad

#320600 - 01/26/20 07:28 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: CPWILL]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Kennedy was shot by a Communist.

But as communists go he was more of a republican than a democrat...

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2