Current Topics
What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises?
by logtroll
1 second ago
ReaderRant RoundTable for Winter 2020
by pdx rick
8 minutes 45 seconds ago
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by pdx rick
Yesterday at 09:50 PM
Bloomberg
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Above the law: DOJ lowering Stone sentencing
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Democrating Efforts
by jgw
Yesterday at 06:53 PM
Why not?
by chunkstyle
Yesterday at 03:55 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by chunkstyle
02/22/20 10:10 PM
living library
by logtroll
02/22/20 09:47 PM
Bro or NOT Bro?
by Greger
02/20/20 07:26 PM
Growth, hunh, good god yaw, what is it good for?
by CPWILL
02/18/20 11:37 PM
Thorium Reactor
by jgw
02/18/20 07:05 PM
Ahhhhhhhh - the perfection of Capitalism
by jgw
02/16/20 09:43 PM
Prognostications on the demise of Herr Dicktater
by logtroll
02/15/20 04:10 PM
Iowa caucuses fail dismally.
by Greger
02/14/20 09:43 PM
Biden's Huge Lead in National Poll of Black Voters, 27% Want Black Running Mate
by Greger
02/13/20 07:17 PM
The Departed - 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
02/12/20 05:30 PM
Android support for CHB
by Jeffers
02/09/20 07:54 AM
Romney
by jgw
02/08/20 07:49 PM
All The President's Men
by Greger
02/08/20 07:38 PM
Forum Stats
6289 Members
60 Forums
16819 Topics
295830 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#320601 - 01/26/20 07:41 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: logtroll
Mrs. Munchkin sides with Greta.
Mr. Munchkin mad

Mrs. Munchkin hasn't got an ecomonics degree either. What could she possibly know.

#320604 - 01/26/20 08:38 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
We all have choices to make. I often wonder what happened to the undergrounds that were created for those that feared catastrophe. Many of these were professionally constructed and then sold and some, like a group that hollowed out a mountain, in Montana if memory serves. There is also a survival communitee, actually several. Some here have not only stored supplies but also taken on off the grid survival.

All that being said our existing system continues to, basically, fail. About half of the voting population don't even bother to vote and then whine a lot about the system. These are, in theory half of our supposed educated thinking humans and they can't even be smart enough to act in their own best interest. Half of those who do vote hate the other side and actually think they will hurt them (this is my thought with nothing behind it but I think I am right). This is all, basically crazy. I betcha somebody with credentials could probably and actually call this some kind of psychological break. The simple fact, however, is that WE ALL know suspect such.

The interesting thing is that we have examples right here on this forum. Everybody is right, nobody is wrong and the only real difference seems to be the side you may or may not be on. If you are not on a side then both sides will brand you eventually. Please consider. If this is even half true, then what happens next? I fully expect, for instance, that the Trump true believers will have absolutely no problem joining up in some kind of revolt if they don't get their way. The serious lefties leave little doubt that if they don't get their way they won't vote because they are in a snit and they have already proven, in their righteousness, that purity counts. If you were a bad boy in grade school then you must be a monster seems to be THE way for some.

We live in strange times.......... (my small effort to see if I can piss off both sides at the same time <G>)

#320616 - 01/27/20 12:20 AM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
Happy Birthday logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Greger
Mrs. Munchkin sides with Greta.
Mr. Munchkin mad.

Mrs. Munchkin hasn't got an ecomonics degree either. What could she possibly know.

Of course.

What I really preferred was the poetical panache of the post.

#320637 - 01/27/20 02:59 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: jgw
To address the title of this topic. The question is a good one but the problem is a bit different. Basically nothing large scale will be done until the crisis has happened.

There is no "crisis" in terms of a pinpoint event. There is just a steady decline in the standard of living, from the bottom up, both from climate change and from increasing nationalism.

We are all frogs in a pot.

#320638 - 01/27/20 03:05 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Hamish Howl Offline

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Personally, we have several integrated bulk containers (250 gal) filled with rain water, and a solar power system that gives us 1200 watts if the electric grid is down and the sun is shining. We also have several solar recharged portable lights so we can find our way around the house and grounds at night. That might be enough power to keep the food in the freezer from going bad while we eat it. But I do have a bunch more solar panels I could rig up if need be. We also still have some avocados on the trees we would pick. So we are pretty well fixed for any infrastructure breakdown that only lasts about a month.

A more severe event like a nuclear attack: I overlook a lot of Camp Pendleton, so buh bye! No worries if you are safely dead.

I also have a thought on root vegetables: Not a lot of potatoes are grown in Chicago. It's probably not a good idea to plant a vegetable garden if you live there, lead-wise. Were I live, I get a pretty steady wind from the Pacific, so I doubt our soil has much lead in it.

I would at this point like to mention three things WITHOUT implying that I am "aiming" this at Pondering or anyone else.

1. Rainwater has an alkalinity of about 19. You have to add calcium chlorate and some magnesium, or steady consumption of that water will kill you stone dead in just a few days.

2. Stored water must be maintained and watched daily, or it turns into a [censored] nightmare of cryptosporidium and pseudomonas. Water is treacherous that way, and we'd be better off without it. If you have 2000 gallons of water that you last looked at on Friday, this morning you have a tank full of critters that you could slice with a knife.

3. The proper way to store water is in iron tanks. Plastic not so much. NEVER store water in wooden barrels, even for a few hours.

That is all.

#320639 - 01/27/20 03:10 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Hamish Howl]
Happy Birthday logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl
3. The proper way to store water is in iron tanks. Plastic not so much. NEVER store water in wooden barrels, even for a few hours.

What about the toilet?

#320641 - 01/27/20 03:30 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: logtroll]
Hamish Howl Offline

Originally Posted By: Hamish Howl

What about the toilet?

Better than wood, not as good as iron.

#320644 - 01/27/20 04:54 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I store my water in the ground. In dirt.

It's a wonder our ancestors survived long enough to breed. My family was farmers. Back in the day the crew trucks carried wooden barrels for drinking water. they were never ever washed or cleaned out, just topped off from a spigot when they got low. It was thought that the thick layer of green algae inside the barrel somehow kept the water "pure" and safe for drinking. I guess it worked cause we didn't die or get sick. I think historically wooden barrels have been used pretty much since the invention of wood to store water. Who knew it was so deadly!

#320645 - 01/27/20 05:41 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Greger]
Hamish Howl Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
I store my water in the ground. In dirt.

It's a wonder our ancestors survived long enough to breed. My family was farmers. Back in the day the crew trucks carried wooden barrels for drinking water. they were never ever washed or cleaned out, just topped off from a spigot when they got low. It was thought that the thick layer of green algae inside the barrel somehow kept the water "pure" and safe for drinking. I guess it worked cause we didn't die or get sick. I think historically wooden barrels have been used pretty much since the invention of wood to store water. Who knew it was so deadly!

The British navy was the first organization to discover that a) the algae varies in deadliness widely, and that b) iron barrels make water taste like s*** but generally safe for long periods of time.

Of course, they're also the first people to demand a mechanical clock, figure out that drinking some lime juice keeps your jaw from rotting off, and that corporal punishment can make a good sailor turn bad, but not a bad sailor turn good.

They just ignored that last one for 200 years, is all.

#320647 - 01/27/20 06:24 PM Re: What should we be doing to adapt to large scale crises? [Re: Hamish Howl]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

You see, we live and learn. Or else we don't.

They went to galvanized steel after that, then the big orange plastic things. Looks to me like the help is bringing their own water now in plastic bottles but I seldom see them anymore. Agriculture has mostly died out here.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan, Chagos
6289 Registered Users
A2