by pdx rick
0 seconds ago
My vote will be for Biden, and this is why
by pondering_it_all
5 minutes 30 seconds ago
What's for dinner?
by Greger
22 minutes 17 seconds ago
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
40 minutes 20 seconds ago
Disaster and the Party of Lemmings
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
America's Lost State
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Alternate Reality
by Greger
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Questions
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:10 PM
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/05/20 07:21 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
04/05/20 01:26 AM
Duty
by jgw
04/04/20 07:14 PM
I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff?
by jgw
04/04/20 05:37 PM
FISA IG Report
by Greger
04/04/20 12:52 AM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
04/03/20 11:28 PM
What is the value of a human life?
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/03/20 07:42 PM
Underclass
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/01/20 07:07 PM
Green New Deal
by logtroll
03/31/20 11:42 PM
Killing bacteria and virus with ozone
by pondering_it_all
03/31/20 12:23 AM
Fox news worred over getting sued
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 10:04 PM
ventilators
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 12:46 AM
Forum Stats
6290 Members
60 Forums
16864 Topics
297862 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#321881 - 02/23/20 09:29 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The tax code is complex because the world is a complex place. We are not all passing GO and collecting $200 each month. There are very simple rules for most cases. But there are thousands of different cases and each one needs a fair tax treatment. Most of those esoteric rules are in there to handle the esoteric cases.

Yes, there have been and still are rules that somebody lobbied to get in there to give themselves or their group a sweetheart deal. But not that many, and they do keep on getting outed and fixed over time.

The safest thing to do is just to adjust the tax rate tables, which we desperately need to do to fix our out-of-control income inequality. You start hacking out chunks of the code and you will make lots of those esoteric cases unfair. It would hurt the economy just because some simple people wanted the world to be simple.

As for "not doing good" in the tax code, the best example of "doing good" is the capital gains tax rate. It is a lower rate because we want to encourage people to save and invest. It also recognizes the fact that investors have their own money at risk. Get rid of it and lots of people would find other things to do with their money. Then there's Social Security and MediCare: Those are both "good" and without them people who are no longer able to work would be starving to death. It would be a nightmare!

#321891 - 02/24/20 02:37 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: jgw
Bernie seems to be leading the charge for just about EVERYTHING! Every wet dream of the left is covered. Every little giveaway ever thought of.

Maybe I missed something. What is he doing that is a giveaway?

#321906 - 02/24/20 08:04 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
For starters, free child care and pre-k?

#321908 - 02/24/20 08:17 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Apparently you think that 70,000 tax code is ok? Really? Here is a link on that one:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/29/15109214/tax-code-page-count-complexity-simplification-reform-ways-means That one claims its only something like 2600+ pages if you don't include all the regulations and case law (which is part of the code).

You also mention that capital gains is an effort to encourage savings. What that really is, is another little bit of social engineering baked into the code. Its income but only gets taxed a little bit for the social good. I am flat against ANY socially based engineering. Taxes are for paying the bills, nothing more and nothing less. Built in social engineering just makes it more complicated. If you have capital gains you have enough money to invest and you get a little break so you can invest more. To my mind that is just plain wrong and is partially responsible for the incredible mess we now have.

#321911 - 02/24/20 08:55 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline

Apparently you think that 70,000 tax code is ok? Really? Here is a link on that one:https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/29/15109214/tax-code-page-count-complexity-simplification-reform-ways-means That one claims its only something like 2600+ pages if you don't include all the regulations and case law (which is part of the code).

You also mention that capital gains is an effort to encourage savings. What that really is, is another little bit of social engineering baked into the code. Its income but only gets taxed a little bit for the social good. I am flat against ANY socially based engineering. Taxes are for paying the bills, nothing more and nothing less. Built in social engineering just makes it more complicated. If you have capital gains you have enough money to invest and you get a little break so you can invest more. To my mind that is just plain wrong and is partially responsible for the incredible mess we now have.

I am more than comfortable with a Byzantine tax system.

Any time - always and without exception - that people talk about simplifying the tax code, it means that more of the load is going to drop on you and I.

#321912 - 02/24/20 08:57 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline

Okay, yeah, so people can go to work without worrying about their kids, which means their job stability is higher, which leads to more productivity, which means more tax money is pulled into the system AND you wind up with healthier kids on balance.

I'm absolutely okay with that.

#321917 - 02/24/20 09:16 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California

Not free. He's not giving it away. People will be paying for their childcare and pre-K, the way it gets paid for in every country where it is offered.
When people use buzz words like "free" and "free stuff", they're channeling private sector lobbyist guru Frank Luntz, who has taught cons "how to talk to Americans".

Quite a few Americans are and HAVE BEEN arranging for childcare and pre-K for decades. They slice of generous portions of their weekly pay and hand it right over.

U.S. Parents Are Sweating And Hustling To Pay For Child Care

Quote:
After their mortgage which is about 20 percent of their combined take-home pay child care is the family's biggest expense. In fact, the cost of their youngest child's day care alone $660 a month is more than half the family's monthly mortgage payment.

Some even have to take on a second job just to pay for their childcare and pre-K.
Think of it, a job to pay for the ability to have a different and separate job. A job that pays for them to have the ability to have a job.

Quote:
That's why, several times a month after he works a full day, coaches football after school, helps feed and bathe the kids before tucking them into bed Mike heads out and spends a few more hours driving for Uber.

I can't believe that the concept of not charging at the point of delivery is so difficult to understand. When you pay your taxes, some of it goes to fund childcare and pre-K, thus any working parent simply enrolls their child and then they are able to just go to work and come home every day.

Frank Luntz ought to get a royalty check every time another person mutters "free stuff".
After all, he invented that talking point, along with "Death Panels" and "unplugging grandma".

#321947 - 02/25/20 07:55 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Apparently Bernie has taken a page out of Warren's book. Rich people are going to pay - for EVERYTHING! That being the case I feel a lot better. Them bad rich people, whatever we can do to them the better we will be! its a lot better than the Lenin plan of putting them all on an island. In any case, the plan of the far left, as far as I can tell, is to punish the hell out of the rich because, the very fact that they exist is a stone in Bernie's gut and they must be expunged.

#321948 - 02/25/20 08:06 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

It dawned on me that ALL the Democratic candidates are doing, exactly, what Bloomberg is doing. They are ALL trying to buy the office they are running for. We are constantly given the totals of the candidates, in millions of dollars, to show whether they have enough to stay in the race. I think Warren added something like 12 million to her treasure check and the rest are the same. Bernie, the man who literally hates all the rich (except for himself), gets millions, apparently, every week! The ONLY difference between what Bloomberg is doing and all the rest is that Bloomberg isn't taking a penny from anybody - everybody else is. This means, basically, that Bloomberg is, basically, the only one no beholden to others. ALL the rest are.

Since there is so much baloney on this one I thought I would post this. Basically, the claim that X is buying his job, is absolutely true. The fact is that is precisely what the entire field is doing! So, the next time you hear, say Warren (who just changed her ways and now accepts money from, apparently, anybody or anything) tells everybody how terrible it is that a single rich guy is buying the election just remember, that is, exactly, what she is doing too - same goes for Bernie! (and the whole damned bunch)

Oh, the ONLY way to fix this is simple. I can remember, in the 70's it was seriously considered. I am talking about campaigns financed by federal money. All candidates get exactly the same amount to spend. There would also be time limits on elections, say, 6 months. this makes absolute sense. The only ones actually upset will be the TV stations.

#321953 - 02/25/20 08:20 PM Re: Bloomberg [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline

Apparently Bernie has taken a page out of Warren's book. Rich people are going to pay - for EVERYTHING! That being the case I feel a lot better. Them bad rich people, whatever we can do to them the better we will be! its a lot better than the Lenin plan of putting them all on an island. In any case, the plan of the far left, as far as I can tell, is to punish the hell out of the rich because, the very fact that they exist is a stone in Bernie's gut and they must be expunged.

Mmmhmmm. Wouldn't have anything to do with the rich plundering the country and screwing over everyone.

It's just that we're bad people, who hate people just because they have yachts.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan
6290 Registered Users
A2