by pdx rick
0 seconds ago
My vote will be for Biden, and this is why
by pondering_it_all
5 minutes 30 seconds ago
What's for dinner?
by Greger
22 minutes 17 seconds ago
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
40 minutes 20 seconds ago
Disaster and the Party of Lemmings
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:53 PM
America's Lost State
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Alternate Reality
by Greger
Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Questions
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:10 PM
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/05/20 07:21 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pondering_it_all
04/05/20 01:26 AM
Duty
by jgw
04/04/20 07:14 PM
I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff?
by jgw
04/04/20 05:37 PM
FISA IG Report
by Greger
04/04/20 12:52 AM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
04/03/20 11:28 PM
What is the value of a human life?
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/03/20 07:42 PM
Underclass
by Jeffery J. Haas
04/01/20 07:07 PM
Green New Deal
by logtroll
03/31/20 11:42 PM
Killing bacteria and virus with ozone
by pondering_it_all
03/31/20 12:23 AM
Fox news worred over getting sued
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 10:04 PM
ventilators
by pondering_it_all
03/30/20 12:46 AM
Forum Stats
6290 Members
60 Forums
16864 Topics
297862 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#321942 - 02/25/20 07:25 PM Good News!
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
yesterday the stock market (DOW) went down over 1000 points, I looks as if today isn't going to be all that much better. The good news is that our Ruling Jackass Trump announced yesterday that its a great time to be buying stocks and its all under control.

Its also great news for the Dems. If the economy tanks they will actually stand a chance in beating Trump. The downside is that all this will probably confuse them and they will be frozen by the wide range of responses available to them. <sigh>

Just saying..............

Edited by jgw (02/25/20 07:25 PM)

#321950 - 02/25/20 08:07 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Another day, and it looks like another thousand down on the DOW.
Yesterday erased all the gains Trump claimed for the year to date, and today's loss doesn't bode well for his claim that the economy is booming.

In the meantime Trump is holding fast to his conviction that the virus is no big deal. The Great End Times Transfer of Wealth to the Righteous continues apace.

I'm certain Trump's bubble-headed bleach blonde religious guru is telling him this is God saving America, and that the virus will only kill libtards, and that he should let the good work continue, and not worry - - Je-hey-zuss will save us!

#321958 - 02/25/20 09:42 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

The transfer to wealth has been going on for a VERY long time! I am not sure why. I remember, a while ago, when a guy in Washington State won the lottery. He decided to really get rich and spent all his money on dry cleaning plants.

I can remember, a long time ago, when there were a lot of discussions on how much more a company owner, or manager, makes than his/her workers. There was an argument that would limit that. Now the sky is the limit and there is no longer any discussions like that. I always thought that setting a limit, and sticking to it, was the way to go. I used to have a company where my employees were making more than I. I sold the company off because a friend of mine, he owned a logging company, told me that anybody who had employees that made more than he was crazy. I believed him. I just read some facts on the guy who owns Amazon and it was insane. Here it is (its kinda depressing) - I tend to dote on kickassfacts.com:
https://www.kickassfacts.com/8-crazy-facts-about-jeff-bezos-wealth/

the guy who bought the dry cleaning plants isn't rich anymore. This seems to be the human way. I somehow doubt its going to end real soon. I, hopefully, have enough to keep me alive. My wife, however, says she needs to spend everything so the kids don't get anything. The really strange part is that she isn't really doing that so the question becomes "why would she say that?" Well, used to be. I decided, after 58 years, to not listen or care because some mysteries will remain no matter what.

#321978 - 02/26/20 04:16 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
chunkstyle Offline
enthusiast

I’ve always wondered about the politics of benefitting off of others misery to win elections. It’s the same reactionary politics that’s defined both political factions.

Michael Hudson has s good peice out. As a historical political economist he’s drawn some interesting parallels to today’s political battle:

“All this sounds like Rome at the end of the Republic in the 1stcentury BC. The way Rome’s constitution was set up, candidates for the position of consul had to pay their way through a series of offices. The process started by going deeply into debt to get elected to the position of aedile, in charge of staging public games and entertainments. Rome’s neoliberal fiscal policy did not tax or spend, and there was little public administrative bureaucracy, so all such spending had to be made out of the pockets of the oligarchy. That was a way of keeping decisions about how to spend out of the hands of democratic politics. Julius Caesar and others borrowed from the richest Bloomberg of their day, Crassus, to pay for staging games that would demonstrate their public spirit to voters (and also demonstrate their financial liability to their backers among Rome’s One Percent). Keeping election financing private enabled the leading oligarchs to select who would be able to run as viable candidates. That was Rome’s version of Citizens United.

He goes on to make the case for the necessity of splitting the Democratic Party if there’s any hope of having democracy as a political framework.
Also, how Trump is now the Democratic Party Defacto candidate for 2020 much as it was in 2016 for party leadership.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/02/...-must-give.html

Edited by chunkstyle (02/26/20 04:17 PM)

#321991 - 02/26/20 07:30 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Just for he heck of it I would point out that the market is down, today, again. Not only that but oil AND gold are also going down. This is, incidentally, pretty strange. The question becomes; "what do you do when EVERYTHING is losing value?"

On the upside, the markets have lost in excess of a TRILLION dollars so far. Something like this could start a serious downturn in the economy and, as Don Junior has said, this could effect daddy's plans for winning the election if it continues. I, incidentally, hate it when Junior says anything that makes sense <G>

According to Trump the best thing we can all do is to jump right into the market and buy up all them stocks while they are low and THEN we will ALL get RICH! (when toads fly?)

#321993 - 02/26/20 08:10 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
what do you do when EVERYTHING is losing value?

I divested into cash near the beginning of the Trump administration, since I saw Trump's actions as a giant Black Swan Event just waiting to happen.

#321999 - 02/26/20 08:52 PM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Originally Posted By: jgw
The question becomes; "what do you do when EVERYTHING is losing value?"

I would ask, "Did those things actually have value?"

#322016 - 02/26/20 10:37 PM Re: Good News! [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

and you were right on the mark. We have been doing that slowly since he came into power and are just about all out. I suspect this may be the end of the Trump (so called) economy. No surprise. He has now run up the debt to be higher than our GDP which, in some circles, is the line not to be crossed.

Now he is trying to balance the deficit by attacking Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. I wonder what his true believers are going to behave when they find out they no longer have Medicare (based on the obvious age of those standing behind him at his rallies).

#322031 - 02/27/20 03:00 AM Re: Good News! [Re: jgw]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: jgw
and you were right on the mark. We have been doing that slowly since he came into power and are just about all out. I suspect this may be the end of the Trump (so called) economy. No surprise. He has now run up the debt to be higher than our GDP which, in some circles, is the line not to be crossed.

Now he is trying to balance the deficit by attacking Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. I wonder what his true believers are going to behave when they find out they no longer have Medicare (based on the obvious age of those standing behind him at his rallies).

I'll be honest. If I actually thought for a second he could reform the entitlements, I'd consider voting for the man.

#322034 - 02/27/20 03:08 AM Re: Good News! [Re: CPWILL]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
We'll see some impressive entitlement reforms under President Sanders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL, Kevin Kohler, Keridan
6290 Registered Users
A2