by pdx rick
05/30/20 01:52 AM
Trump may be ahead!
by rporter314
05/29/20 01:29 PM
A Thought Experiment about COVID-19
by pondering_it_all
05/26/20 01:45 AM
Is there a free market solution for the pandemic and economic collapse?
by Greger
05/25/20 08:59 PM
Genius: how to make of a surgical mask, an N95-equivalent
by GreatNewsTonight
05/25/20 03:51 AM
The Way We Were
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/25/20 12:46 AM
What's for dinner?
by GreatNewsTonight
05/24/20 08:18 PM
Reinfection of COVID19
by jgw
05/23/20 06:42 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/23/20 04:14 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:58 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16920 Topics
300175 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#322833 - 03/14/20 06:49 PM Homeless Children
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was watching a discussion about the bill passed to help folks who can't work, testing needs, who pays for what, etc. All are good causes. However, one of the people in the discussion, was the head of a teacher's union. She started to talk about homeless children and their dependence on school meals. Apparently if they don't have school food they have no food. Now add in that she said that they are currently feeding over 2.5 MILLION homeless children!

I had no idea that this was going on. Apparently this is nothing new and everybody (but me) knows about it. Anyway, I then proceeded to check this out. Here is a government report I found:
https://www.usich.gov/homelessness-statistics/wa

Its interesting but really makes no sense. In the state of Washington it says there is over 23,000 homeless but there are over 40,000 homeless children. Anyway, there are interesting figures here. Here is another, from the Washington Post wondering where the 2.5 MILLION homeless are:
[url=ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/17/where-the-nations-2-5-million-homeless-children-live/][url=ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/17/where-the-nations-2-5-million-homeless-children-live/][url=ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/17/where-the-nations-2-5-million-homeless-children-live/]ttps://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/11/17/where-the-nations-2-5-million-homeless-children-live/[/url][/url][/url]

There are a LOT of responses if you google: "homeless children by state"

We are living in very strange times. It also looks like about 30% of the homeless children are "unaccompanied" (no parents available). This means, in theory, that something like 800,000 children are flat out on their own. All in all it would seem that the United States of America is a pretty happy hunting ground for some seriously scary and sick predators.

I was aware that there are a LOT of homeless. I was not aware of the number of kids that are homeless. The schools, it appears, feed them but don't house them. In my town there are lists, for instance, "top 10 best shelters for homeless", etc My town has a population of 19,000 and has at least 10 shelters for the homeless! The 7 largest apartment complexes, in my town, are low rent. The homeless, I think, are also the beginning of our permanent underclass and its not gonna get any smaller as robots continue to take jobs, etc. The current Covid-19 is just another disaster waiting to happen as well.

The school thing is especially strange. If they did supply shelter they would, in point of fact, be Orphanages. I had 4 friends who were raised in Orphanages (now all passed). They all thought well of their Orphanages and were happy to have been raised there rather than foster homes. They said that foster homes didn't seem to have any permanency to them and Orphanages did and that mattered. Orphanages no longer exist.

The reason is that the first thing politicians chisel on, when money is tight, are social services and they so reduced support for their Orphanages that they were being run by people working for the minimum wage. My state also did that with their Insane Asylums - which actually got shut down by the feds because they had completely failed. (no money, under staffed, under trained, abuse, etc). Instead we now have foster homes (I have never supported foster homes and doubt their efficacy).

When I start to think about hundreds of thousands of kids raising themselves and each other, with little or no direction or socialization, one can only wonder what the product is going to be?

I just thought I would mention the homeless kids thing. I would be interested on thoughts, on this one.

Edited by jgw (03/14/20 06:50 PM)

#322837 - 03/14/20 08:24 PM Re: Homeless Children [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
I took in and raised a homeless kid. I'd do it again if I wasn't so crippled up.

They are the cast offs of society. Every society has them, the street urchins. Driven away by abusive parents, unloved, unwanted, unfed.
Every kid's story is different, every parent's story is different.

They would have us believe that there is not enough to go around. Not enough food to share with the poor. Not enough places for them to live.
Not enough money to pay their parents enough to feed them and house them.

Someone should invent a virus that sweeps through society and takes the weak and the sick and the poor. Put them out of their misery.

We have the technology.

#322844 - 03/15/20 01:27 AM Re: Homeless Children [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
takes the weak and the sick and the poor

We've always had that. It's called TB.

Looks like we could wind up with several million unclaimed kids if the virus kills as many people as it might. We are a little old, but I suppose we could take in a few. We would pass a background check, otherwise. We certainly have room. Hell, we have room for an orphanage!

#322867 - 03/15/20 08:53 PM Re: Homeless Children [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I remember, once, I was delivering some stuff to Fort Warden, in Port Townsend. At the time the state was using it to house kids they couldn't find a place for. A kid jumped into my truck and asked if he could ride with me and I told him he could. I started asking him how he liked it at the fort. He said it was great, there were 3 squares a day, a bed, and he got to go to school. I asked him about the going to school thing. He said that his mother was a drunk and kept him home so he could go out and beg for money so she could buy booze. This went on for some time. Then he said that they would probably force him into another 'foster home', which he would hate. He said he was 14 and, when they did, he was going to run.

This kid was really will spoken, ie. smart. I have always remembered that one. On the face of it it would seem that the state isn't really doing that much better now than they were then. It was about 40 or more years ago.

#322869 - 03/15/20 09:08 PM Re: Homeless Children [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
My sister had a foster home that was great. Lots of them are not. Many foster parents are just in it for the money they get for each kid. Those tend to be crappy, mostly because very little of that money goes to benefit the kid(s). Some even feature a foster dad or mom's boyfriend who helps himself to the goodies, so to speak.

On the other hand, I have a tenant single mom to two special-needs foster kids, who is a saint.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2