by pdx rick
05/26/20 09:31 PM
A Thought Experiment about COVID-19
by pondering_it_all
05/26/20 01:45 AM
First Bernie Sanders Thread 2020
by Greger
05/26/20 12:11 AM
Is there a free market solution for the pandemic and economic collapse?
by Greger
05/25/20 08:59 PM
Genius: how to make of a surgical mask, an N95-equivalent
by GreatNewsTonight
05/25/20 03:51 AM
The Way We Were
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/25/20 12:46 AM
What's for dinner?
by GreatNewsTonight
05/24/20 08:18 PM
Reinfection of COVID19
by jgw
05/23/20 06:42 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/23/20 04:14 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:58 PM
The open it all up crowd
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:54 PM
January 21, 2021, What if...
by pdx rick
05/21/20 04:43 PM
Thorium
by Greger
05/18/20 02:13 AM
Michigan Rep. Justin Amash Takes Step Toward Libertarian Presidential Bid
by pdx rick
05/17/20 05:19 PM
Warp Drive
by logtroll
05/17/20 12:37 AM
The Corruption of the Department of Justice is Nearly Complete
by rporter314
05/15/20 06:29 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16915 Topics
300063 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323617 - 03/30/20 05:09 PM Duty
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our times have me thinking.
Quote:
“On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.”

That is the oath I took as a Boy Scout 50 years ago. Over the course of 30 years of military service I took, and administered oaths as well. Mine was:
Quote:
I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Mitt Romney, in voting for Trump's impeachment, acknowledged the difficulty, but said,
Quote:
As a senator-juror, I swore an oath before God to exercise impartial justice. I am profoundly religious. My faith is at the heart of who I am. I take an oath before God as enormously consequential. I knew from the outset that being tasked with judging the president, the leader of my own party, would be the most difficult decision I have ever faced. I was not wrong.

It has been said that "we live in interesting times" and "these are the times that try men's souls" about our current situation. These are times that call us to duty, to our loved ones, our communities, and our country. The sacrifices we are making are small compared to many made by others, so the least we can do is to do our duty. Each of us must decide what that duty is, whether in social distancing, volunteering, or much more, but we must be conscientious of it, and in doing it.

#323618 - 03/30/20 05:39 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline
journeyman

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
I remember a clause that seems to be missing - to obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me. Or am I misremembering...

Edited by Ujest Shurly (03/30/20 05:49 PM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#323619 - 03/30/20 05:53 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's the enlisted oath. I've taken and given that one too.

#323646 - 03/31/20 08:41 AM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Speaking of civic duty, I wonder if anybody will "draft" people who have recovered to fill in in some critical capacities. My wife is a retired veterinarian. I know in emergencies the National Guard can draft vets to work in human medical care. I could do lots of less sophisticated stuff. Like butterfly bandaging small wounds, suturing minor cuts, giving tetanus shots, monitoring people on ventilators, etc. Even delivering canned food to people in quarantine, with no fear of virus transmission.

Which leads me back to a recurrent theme: Woe is us because we got rid of civics classes in High Schools. I honestly think it all started with Ronald Reagan's "Government IS the problem." We've raised several generations of sociopaths, whose main philosophy is "I got mine, so screw you." I really think we needed those classes, but a civic-minded public tends to be Democratic and thus not favored by the owners of wealth in this country.

#323647 - 03/31/20 10:05 AM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline
journeyman

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
pia - "I wonder if anybody will "draft" people ..." I believe New York has already done something along this line. Asking retired personal or others with medical training who left the workforce to voluntary return. I also think the Military is thinking of re-calling personnel.

The real bad thing about a re-call (New York's and the Military's) it states that many of those in charge know it is going to get very much worse; Influenza 1918 worse? Most being re-called are in or near the viruses primary target group. To be overly dramatic about it to be re-called would be suicide.

New York Governor Asks Retired Doctors and Nurses to Sign Up and Be on Call Amid Coronavirus Crisis Newsweek

After Trump’s order, DoD reviewing how many Guard, Reserve troops to bring back for COVID-19 fight Military Times

As for Civics class, I wholeheartedly agree. However, some do learn how government works, or should work. Just not as many as needed to provide herd immunity against another President Donald (...) Trump*

*Impeached 2019.

Edited by Ujest Shurly (03/31/20 10:28 AM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#323649 - 03/31/20 02:12 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
perotista Offline
journeyman

I received an e-mail from DFAS asking any military retirees who were in the medical field if they were willing to volunteer to return to active duty. It was probably a bulk e-mail to all retirees. It even said if you weren't in the medical field if you wanted to return to active duty to work in some other field your request would be considered. It also said that those retirees now working in the civilian medical field not to apply and continue on with their present civilian duties.

I retired from active duty in 1986 and never was in the medical field.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#323687 - 04/01/20 12:43 AM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I was talking about people who have already recovered, and are thus immune to the virus. This is a HUGE asset in this fight that is mostly being ignored. A few places are asking for blood donations from them, to make antiserum for some serious cases. But one donation helps just one or two patients. There is no way to multiply those antibodies.

Immune people could be put to use doing all sorts of things. Exposed people would not bother them and unexposed people would not have to worry about contact with them. They just have to make sure they don't deliver virus from the exposed to the unexposed.

#323689 - 04/01/20 01:04 AM Re: Duty [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I was talking about people who have already recovered, and are thus immune to the virus. This is a HUGE asset in this fight that is mostly being ignored. A few places are asking for blood donations from them, to make antiserum for some serious cases. But one donation helps just one or two patients. There is no way to multiply those antibodies.

Immune people could be put to use doing all sorts of things. Exposed people would not bother them and unexposed people would not have to worry about contact with them. They just have to make sure they don't deliver virus from the exposed to the unexposed.

I am not so sure that people really have an immunity.
Maybe they have *some* immunity but I have not as yet seen verifiable proof (maybe I missed it?) that an exposed person who got sick can stop worrying about getting sick again.

#323730 - 04/01/20 07:02 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

That's pretty well established. The few people who got sick again are very rare and they were probably released too early. Doctors have been talking about leaving quarantine after a week with no symptoms. That seems to be too soon. Some victims are still shedding live virus then.

Since we have no treatment available, the only reason people don't die is they make antibodies. There just isn't any other reason for the virus not to win and kill them. If we got a really effective drug, then victims could take the drug, knock down the virus population, stop taking the drug, and then have the virus rebound. But we don't seem to have any really effective drug yet.

#323731 - 04/01/20 07:06 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I don't think they have actually decided whether somebody who has had it and survived really can't get it again. I do know, however, that they are taking blood from every known survivor and people, all over the world are trying, very hard, to figure it all out. I also know that the Chinese don't know either and are being VERY careful about allowing anybody in who might be carrying the virus.

I am 85 with COPD. If I get it, right now, I am, as far as I can tell, dead. I have no plans for that. That being the case I have faith and hope because that's all that's left. In other words I firmly believe that there will be, in the very near future, first - a reasonably available test for anti-bodies that can tell us whether you have actually had covid-19. Following that one will be a shot or a cure.

I also wonder why nobody seems eager to mention, or even ask, how China with at least 3 times as many people as the United States and was able to beat this virus. So far, in spite of the fact that WE believe that WE are the greatest nation on the face of the earth, smarter, better educated, more clever, have the very best healthcare in the world, and seem to be doing one of the worst jobs of beating this in the entire world! When watching TV there is one phrase I hear, more than any other, ie. "BUT THIS IS THE UNITED STATES!" (This is particularly true when nurses and doctors are being interviewed)

Sometimes my faith, and hope, get a little shaky. We will see, in the fullness of time?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2