by pdx rick
Today at 04:34 AM
Coronavirus - everyone was/is wrong?
by pondering_it_all
Today at 04:27 AM
What's the Democratic Party doing?
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:07 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:42 PM
Little Houses
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:04 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:14 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
07/12/20 01:06 AM
covid-19 cure
by jgw
07/10/20 06:53 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
07/10/20 12:38 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
07/08/20 11:07 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16963 Topics
301219 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323653 - 03/31/20 04:59 PM I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff?
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA

#323659 - 03/31/20 07:03 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
It's being reported.

#323664 - 03/31/20 07:48 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: jgw

Like the media you just linked to?

Hamish,
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

#323681 - 04/01/20 12:05 AM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a bigger story, I think, than just that, but that is a big story in and of itself. The shipments are just one aspect of the gross incompetence displayed by Trump and his "misleadership team.but the bigger picture includes the entire Republican party and the fetish for "cutting costs" and "smaller government". Hop aboard the wayback machine and let me tell you a story...

The Strategic National Stockpile:
Quote:
In April 1998, President Bill Clinton read the Richard Preston novel The Cobra Event, a fiction book about a mad scientists spreading a virus throughout New York City. As a result, Clinton held a meeting with scientists and cabinet officials to discuss the threat of bioterrorism. He was so impressed that he asked the experts to meet with senior-level aides at the Department of Defense and in the Department of Health and Human Services. At that time, the government had stockpiles of medications for military personnel, but did not have them for civilians. Shortly after, The Washington Post wrote that Clinton surprised many in Washington at how fast he and his National Security Council had moved to change that. By October, Clinton signed into law a new budget of $51 million for pharmaceutical and vaccine stockpiling to be carried out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Coronavirus Is Putting the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile to the Test. Here’s the Surprising Story Behind the Stash(TIME)

At first, it was Y2K that was the impetus for the effort and it was limited to stockpiling vaccines and other pharmaceuticals, as the military stockpile that preceded it had done. Then 9/11 happened, and the focus changed (as it should have before then, but I digress...). It became more broad based, including equipment like ventilators and PPE. In 2003 responsibility was passed jointly to Homeland Security and Health and Human Services, and the name changed to the "The Strategic National Stockpile" (jointly, is a problem).

Although initially it was well(ish)-funded, Congress (mostly Republican) quickly lost its ardor, cutting funding in 2007 and again in 2014. to cut costs, most of the suppliers were located in China, where the cheapest vendors were located. As a result of funding limitations and the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, which used up 100 million of the N95 masks (95% of the supply), the stockpile was never replenished.

When COVID-19 hit three things occurred almost simultaneously: 1) China quit shipping PPE, 2) Trump halved the budget, and 3) a huge chunk of our reserves were sent to China because the administration didn't take the threat seriously. Now, we don't have the reserves, we can't produce our own, and what we do have is well past its "expiration date".

Edited by Jeffery J. Haas (04/01/20 07:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Fixed URL

#323721 - 04/01/20 06:22 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: Hamish Howl]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

this happened waaay back in January and its, just now, being reported. This seems to be a bit of "day late and dollar short" to me. We have now had 3 months of battle over this stuff and now its coming to light? One would have thought a more timely effort could have been made?

#323724 - 04/01/20 06:38 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
In January, Trump was busy with all of his impeachment trial appearances. Then in February, he needed to unwind by holding rallies and golfing like crazy. In March he had to deal with this virus plot by Democrats to impeach him again because they lost the last time...

#323733 - 04/01/20 07:13 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
In January, Trump was busy with all of his impeachment trial appearances. Then in February, he needed to unwind by holding rallies and golfing like crazy. In March he had to deal with this virus plot by Democrats to impeach him again because they lost the last time...

I think JGW might be hinting that the PRESS wasted valuable opportunity to shine a spotlight on the problem a couple of months ago when this crisis first began to arise. Back THEN...is when all the points JGW was alluding to should have been talked about by the press.
I might be wrong, but I think JGW is saying that the PRESS was a day late and a dollar short.

Am I right JG?

#323735 - 04/01/20 07:26 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
My ex just told me that her industry probably has tons of personal protection equipment sitting in containers waiting for orders to imprint them with your logo. She can order them by the thousands any time, hand sanitizer too. Her computer shows all those items in stock and ready to imprint and ship. She has reached out to the local hospital to let them know it's available. Others in the ASI industry are probably realizing this right now too.

#323736 - 04/01/20 07:30 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Trump sold our asses down the river.

#323825 - 04/03/20 08:29 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I am not really sure. I think that the truth is that the Jackass Trump is REALLY good at changing the subject. Its what he does and, this time, he REALLY snookered the media who, apparently, just forgot this little thing.

I find it very odd indeed. The TV media, for instance, continues to ignore this little fact. It is, as far as I am concerned, yet another blot on the record of our TV media. Both CNN and MSNBC have ignored this one. I don't think they have actually even mentioned it to date.

I am wrong. Just did another google on this one and, now, they have actually started to report it - ONLY 3 months late!

One would think................

Edited by jgw (04/03/20 08:33 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2