by jgw
10/19/20 05:37 PM
Roundtable for Samhain 2020
by pdx rick
10/18/20 04:08 PM
Senate control during Covid
by rporter314
10/17/20 09:05 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
10/16/20 08:51 AM
At A Time Like This America Truly Needs A Healthy Donald Trump
by pondering_it_all
10/16/20 08:41 AM
The Boogaloo Bois
by jgw
10/15/20 09:44 PM
Trump and Melania tested positive for Covid-19
by logtroll
10/15/20 01:42 AM
yellowstone
by Greger
10/14/20 07:19 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
10/14/20 01:40 AM
Trump HAS Covid!!!!
by rporter314
10/12/20 07:07 PM
the Trump Taxes
by Greger
10/03/20 03:01 AM
Do both sides really do it?
by Greger
10/02/20 07:53 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by pdx rick
10/01/20 05:48 PM
How much do police really cost?
by pondering_it_all
09/30/20 08:35 PM
Civics
by jgw
09/28/20 05:33 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by pondering_it_all
09/28/20 02:33 AM
Honesty, morality, and integrity
by logtroll
09/28/20 12:22 AM
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Died
by pdx rick
09/28/20 12:22 AM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
17010 Topics
303574 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323817 - 04/03/20 07:32 PM Questions
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
there is a site (quora.com) that poses questions for others to answer. They are not specifically political but this one is (and isn't a bad question!):
Conservatives, how do you defend conservatism or the Republican Party when the GOP seems to have a poor and dirty record (Karl Rove, VP Cheney or corporatism/oligopoly, etc) or lack of doing things to help people especially those who struggle?

#323819 - 04/03/20 07:40 PM Re: Questions [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
there is a site (quora.com) that poses questions for others to answer. They are not specifically political but this one is (and isn't a bad question!):
Conservatives, how do you defend conservatism or the Republican Party when the GOP seems to have a poor and dirty record (Karl Rove, VP Cheney or corporatism/oligopoly, etc) or lack of doing things to help people especially those who struggle?

Actually, I have a lot of friends who have been booted or suspended from Quora multiple times for merely voicing liberal arguments, in a perfectly civil way.

As to your question: It seems to have devolved into a cult of Trump.
The rest of the ordinary rank and file real conservatives seem to be leaving the GOP in droves and becoming independents.

#323832 - 04/03/20 10:45 PM Re: Questions [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted By: jgw

Actually, I have a lot of friends who have been booted or suspended from Quora multiple times for merely voicing liberal arguments, in a perfectly civil way.

As to your question: It seems to have devolved into a cult of Trump.
The rest of the ordinary rank and file real conservatives seem to be leaving the GOP in droves and becoming independents.

I’ve always considered myself to be a Goldwater conservative with some of Perot thrown in later. But what is that belief? I think it can be summed up in three parts or tenets of a traditional conservative. Which by the way is pretty darn close to the classic liberal.

1. Fiscal Responsible – More or less a balance budget. Not spending more than what one takes in. How we get there? If spending needs to be cut, cut it. If taxes need to be raised, raise them. Usually a combination of both is required. Since Jimmy Carter neither major party has come close to being fiscal responsible. Keep in mind I used the word fiscal responsible, not fiscal conservatism which means low taxes while the national debt skyrockets.
2. Small Government – A government that stays out of a citizen’s private business and lives. Such things as abortion, let the woman decide, not government. Gay marriage, let love decide, not government. On this Goldwater was ahead of his time, there was no gay marriage or even talk of it back then. But there was about gays in the military. Goldwater said, “You don't need to be 'straight' to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight.”
3. Wars – This country should never go to war unless it intends to win it by whatever means it takes and does so quickly. Congress must declare war, no resolution either by congress or the UN. We also should never go to war unless we are directly threatened. Here’s what Goldwater said about Vietnam, “Vietnam is about halfway around the world from Washington. It's as large as the major European nations, with nearly 130,000 square miles... Its ancient recorded history goes back to 111 B.C... We entered (that country) with considerable ignorance. I told Johnson and old colleagues on Capitol Hill that we had two clear choices. Either win the [Vietnam] war in a relatively short time, say within a year, or pull out all our troops and come home.
I’ll add that one needs to be flexible within his ideology, so it meets the situation and the time a situation occurs. Common sense should always come out on top of any type of political ideology. There are times when one needs to spend beyond one’s means when the situation requires it. I always thought when the USSR broke apart and the Warsaw Pact disbanded, so too should have NATO. Mission accomplished. Other relics of the cold war are no more, CENTO, SEATO are gone, why isn’t NATO?

Traditional conservatives have no home among our two major parties anymore. So you’re right about that Jeffrey. Most of us have died away or became independents.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#323850 - 04/04/20 07:37 PM Re: Questions [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
that's pretty strange. I have answered a couple of these questions and my answers were liberal and I had no problems at all. I haven't, however, answered any for a while and rarely even read them but they popup every now and then.

I just went to their site and looked. Somebody asked what donald Trump is really like. Here is the first paragraph of the answer:
Mr. Trump reminds me of the child who loves attention, but doesn't know the difference between good attention and bad attention. We all know the type; under most circumstances, that child might be a well behaved, kind, and caring, but he can turn into a monster if he realizes nobody has noticed him for 15 minutes. The key difference is that the child has plenty of time to learn, and Mr. Trump ... well, he's already learned that any attention is good attention, and the American media is to blame for that one.

Not real Trump positive I think?

#323851 - 04/04/20 08:12 PM Re: Questions [Re: jgw]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Trump is like that old showman who thinks there is no such thing as bad publicity. No publicity is bad. Good, bad or indifferent, as long as Trump is the headliner, the star, the most talked about and shown, that's all good in his book.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#323852 - 04/04/20 08:40 PM Re: Questions [Re: perotista]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Trump is like that old showman who thinks there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I predict (under caveat of the current situation) Mr Trump will win the 2020.

So ... I concluded (many disagreed but for me it explained what was happening very well) in the 2016, the media gave Mr Trump some $2B worth of free publicity, because it believed he was a joke of a candidate, and that exposing him for what he was and continues to be, it believed no one in their "right" mind would vote for him. Yeah I understand he is the voice of their discontent .... the voice of bigotry .... and the voice of the carnival barker who would stick it to everything not them.

Press forward to 2020 .... where is the Democrat candidate? The only candidate seen is Mr Trump. Not only does he get the publicity for being occupant of the WH, but he gets the same free publicity of a candidate. It's clear the only thing he comprehends is the state of his personal "fortune". I suspect the Democrat candidate will not have enough time to recover for a vigorous political fight.

Mr Trump wins by default ...

#323854 - 04/04/20 09:29 PM Re: Questions [Re: jgw]
perotista Offline
journeyman

I think how Trump or should I say how the people view, their perspective of his handling of the CoronaVirus Pandemic will determine whether he wins or loses. Right now Trump's numbers on his handling of this pandemic is in the positive. But I'm sure they will decline slowly the longer this pandemic hangs around. Americans want quick fixes. There isn't one for this pandemic.

I don't think Biden needs to be front and center. Trump being there is enough. This election is all about Trump to begin with, with CoronaVirus, it double down all about Trump. If the people are happy or satisfied with Trump's handling of this, he'll be reelected. If they're not, any opponent will do.

Here's the latest numbers on Trump's handling of the crisis.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls...virus-7088.html

The downward trend has begun. So give it time. No need for hysterics or throwing in the towel.

#323855 - 04/04/20 09:35 PM Re: Questions [Re: perotista]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: perotista

I don't think Biden needs to be front and center. Trump being there is enough. This election is all about Trump to begin with, with CoronaVirus, it double down all about Trump.

Unless and until Team Biden have a well thought out plan to deal with CV19, and the other issues, it is best that they stay under the radar, especially given Team Trump's eagerness to deflect responsibility onto the Dems.

Far better the Dems figure out a solid attack plan AND ALSO a solid set of ideas to offer up, than just engaging in some stupid Twitter war.

Besides, Team Bernie IS putting out some solid ideas, might be a good time for the Dems to listen to them a bit more...yes, even Joe should listen.

#323856 - 04/04/20 10:01 PM Re: Questions [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted By: perotista

I don't think Biden needs to be front and center. Trump being there is enough. This election is all about Trump to begin with, with CoronaVirus, it double down all about Trump.

Unless and until Team Biden have a well thought out plan to deal with CV19, and the other issues, it is best that they stay under the radar, especially given Team Trump's eagerness to deflect responsibility onto the Dems.

Far better the Dems figure out a solid attack plan AND ALSO a solid set of ideas to offer up, than just engaging in some stupid Twitter war.

Besides, Team Bernie IS putting out some solid ideas, might be a good time for the Dems to listen to them a bit more...yes, even Joe should listen.

I agree that the Biden team should basically keep quiet at this point. There really isn't anything Biden's team can do anyway, for that matter neither can Sanders team.

This is Trump's test much like the Great Depression was Hoover's. Anyone except Hoover would have won in 1932, it could be the same come this November depending on how the people perceive his response. Hoover failed, he was out of his league. By the people, I mean America as a whole, not just one faction or political party.

Give it time, the time for a positive critique and suggestions hasn't arrived yet. I'm sure it will at sometime in the near future. Best to keep quiet and let Trump have the spotlight for now.

#323863 - 04/05/20 02:01 AM Re: Questions [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I answer questions on Quora. Over a quarter of a million people have read my answers. I do get a lot of requests for answers, but I don't answer the stupid questions or bother with the ones I can't answer. I get a LOT of avocado questions, since I am a grower. But I do know a lot about growing avocados. I also get a lot of medical questions about Covid-19 now. I just repeat stuff from scientific papers and researcher's presentations on the internet, with a lot of caveats. Same as here.

I have been banned once for a bit when somebody took offense from my answer. Apparently it was very easy to get people banned. Trolls were doing that. I think they might have improved that now. One thing I do not like about it, is they offered to pay me to ask "good" questions. After they started that, I saw a lot of obvious attempts by people to make money for questions. Funny thing: I can't recall ever asking a question, but I have read quite a few of other people's answers. I also can tell when students put their homework questions up, and do not answer.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2