by rporter314
05/29/20 03:48 AM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by pdx rick
05/28/20 05:32 AM
A Thought Experiment about COVID-19
by pondering_it_all
05/26/20 01:45 AM
Is there a free market solution for the pandemic and economic collapse?
by Greger
05/25/20 08:59 PM
Genius: how to make of a surgical mask, an N95-equivalent
by GreatNewsTonight
05/25/20 03:51 AM
The Way We Were
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/25/20 12:46 AM
What's for dinner?
by GreatNewsTonight
05/24/20 08:18 PM
Reinfection of COVID19
by jgw
05/23/20 06:42 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/23/20 04:14 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:58 PM
The open it all up crowd
by GreatNewsTonight
05/22/20 08:54 PM
January 21, 2021, What if...
by pdx rick
05/21/20 04:43 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16918 Topics
300141 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323737 - 04/01/20 07:33 PM Re: Duty [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw

I am 85 with COPD. If I get it, right now, I am, as far as I can tell, dead.

I am almost sixty-three, also with COPD and Type 2 diabetes, and if I didn't already catch it, then I don't know what I just lived through, but it was unlike anything else I've ever experienced, and I didn't think I WAS going to make it.
If it WAS COVID19 then I am damn lucky to still be here.
(The SYMPTOMS were a spot on match, every last one of them)
If it wasn't COVID19, and I do catch it, like you, I doubt I will survive.

#323745 - 04/01/20 10:47 PM Re: Duty [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jgw
I don't think they have actually decided whether somebody who has had it and survived really can't get it again. I do know, however, that they are taking blood from every known survivor and people, all over the world are trying, very hard, to figure it all out. I also know that the Chinese don't know either and are being VERY careful about allowing anybody in who might be carrying the virus.

Testing coronavirus survivors’ blood could help reopen U.S.

Quote:
The theory is that such testing could be used to divide the world into people who’ve had it and aren’t at risk anymore — and those who are. Health-care workers with immunity could return to the front lines. Large employers could test their workers to find out who could return to work first. Health insurers might use the tests to tell members whether it is risky to go out into the world. People who know they have a level of immunity could help others. In the Ebola outbreak in Congo, survivors played a special role in providing care — and much-needed human contact — to people who were sick.

#323823 - 04/03/20 08:02 PM Re: Duty [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I couldn't get to your reference even though I turned off my ad blocker but, I think, its saying that if they ever get a test for anti-bodies then them with them, for Covid-19 should be able to go back to work and have resistance to Covid-19. My fond hope is that this is true and its close to reality.

Should they actually pull this one off, and I think they will, it will be time to get back into the market and earn back a little of what was lost before I fled all the way. Not only that but I think, until they have such tests the market will continue to flutter and lose.

#323834 - 04/03/20 11:03 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Lots of companies are actually making them and even have demonstrations of their product on Youtube. All I have seen look easy enough anybody could do one at home, like a pregnancy test. They include a little finger poker, an alcohol swap, a little pipette for drawing up the blood, and a 1 inch by 3 inch plastic block with two wells to put your blood drops in. Then you wait 15 minutes and look at the blue lines on the block.

I expect to see them any day now on Amazon. I suspect some people in the Trump Administration have not finished their stock purchases yet before they permit that.

#323849 - 04/04/20 07:14 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I was going to rant and rave about this but thought I should check and found this:
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/fd...st-for-covid-19

here are two snippits from the above:
Currently, the FDA maintains a public list of nearly 50 other serological test manufacturers, the majority based in China, that have notified the agency of their plans to distribute their products in the U.S. without seeking an Emergency Use Authorization.

That list includes BioMedomics, which has announced plans with medtech giant BD and medical supply company Henry Schein to distribute their version on a large scale. It does not include Hangzhou, China-based Safecare Bio-Tech, maker of tests set to be distributed by BodySphere, which earlier this week incorrectly claimed to have received an FDA authorization.

I found it odd, however, that you can only get it by prescription. it is, as you said, pretty simple. I also found: nfo.exlevents.com/777120-EventRegistration_Registrationpage.html?utm_source=fiercebiotech&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=inter-article-promo

We already know that there are thousands and thousands of research folk trying to find solutions to Covid-19 and, now, its apparently starting to come to a head with a LOT of solutions (all of which are going to need to be tested, etc., before authorized.

It looks as if we are going to be looking at a real free-for-all which is going to be interesting all by itself?

Edited by jgw (04/04/20 07:16 PM)

#324171 - 04/11/20 01:26 AM Re: Duty [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I suspect some people in the Trump Administration have not finished their stock purchases yet before they permit that.

THIS ^^^ idea

#324247 - 04/11/20 07:47 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
From something I read, they don't actually need FDA approval. They just can't claim it if they don't have it. Even a very simple test would probably have a very low false positive rate. False negatives, yes. But to get a false positive something very strange has to happen. A much better antibody test would have to performed by a lab. It uses serial dilution to tell you an antibody level. That would be extremely useful data for public health experts.

To get an "immunity certificate" some officials are talking about, you would probably need to have an FDA-approved test done by a lab.

#324296 - 04/12/20 07:38 PM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I think that most of us can agree that Jackass Trump is responsible for a worse pandemic than we needed to experience. This was due to two basic things. The first was that he was really slow on the uptake when it all started. He fought it with his mouth for over a month before somebody convinced him that it was even real! The Second was tests. The world health organization offered to give us tests and gave us the information we needed to make them ourselves. they did this, I think, last January. Our dear leader immediately decided that we would ignore that one and do it ourselves. The first run that was distributed didn't work. Up to very recently we developed others, all of which took longer and were not as accurate as those used by the rest of the world. The last I heard our current test may be off by something like 30%

Now the Dear Leader has decided its time to ignore Covid-19 and everybody go back to work. Hopefully there are enough who would resist so that we can continue without killing more victims. Anyway, I think the solutions are at hand and they all are based on 2 simple solutions that are both needed. The first is a fast test to see if somebody is infected with Covid-19 and the second are tests that will tell one if they have had Covid-19 and no longer have it and a good chance to be immune to re-infection.

If we have both of those, scaled up so everybody/anybody can be tested. This would mean that we can actually take care of the infected, and put those who have had it, and unlikely to be re-infected, back to work. It is thought there are many in this category, many of which don't even know that they had it and are now immune! The trick to this one is to test just about everybody as fast as we can so we can then proceed to taking care of business. We are now told that the fast test is here and its working and being scaled up right now. We are also being told that starting tomorrow they are going to start testing to see if you have had it and are immune (in theory). Until we do the tests we have to mark time but there is hope!!

There are thoughts about the above but, basically, ALL those working on the front lines should be the first ones completely tested and then move on to the rest of us. There are good reasons for this and, again, there is hope!!

the scary part is the Jackass Trump. Its already been suggested, for instance, that what he really wants to do is to keep the Covid-19 thing going as long as possible as that will abuse voting which he think will be good for him and he might even be able to not have an election in November! I have no idea if this is right or wrong but, I think, there is a point regardless of right/wrong/good/bad, etc.

Just Saying..............

#324298 - 04/12/20 08:24 PM Re: Duty [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
The president has done exactly what he was elected to do by the people who elected him.

It's a shame Democrats haven't got anyone like that.

But it's a lot harder to build things than it is to break them.

#324338 - 04/13/20 04:27 AM Re: Duty [Re: NW Ponderer]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Do I owe a duty to America?

I know I owe a duty to my family.

I know I owe a duty to myself.

I even owe a duty to my employer and the city I live in.

But that's about it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2