by Greger
09/27/20 09:05 PM
How much do police really cost?
by jgw
09/27/20 05:00 PM
The Trump campaign is broke
by pdx rick
09/26/20 09:00 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 07:41 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
09/26/20 05:38 AM
Bloomberg raises $16M to pay fines of 32K former felons so they can vote
by pdx rick
09/24/20 09:42 PM
The Republican Platform
by pondering_it_all
09/22/20 09:22 PM
Global warming predictions
by pondering_it_all
09/20/20 09:04 PM
Half of troops have an unfavorable opinion of President Bone Spurs
by CPWILL
09/20/20 07:42 AM
West Coast Burning
by NW Ponderer
09/19/20 06:57 PM
Bob Woodward's book details Trump's chaotic and dysfunctional White House
by Greger
09/19/20 06:57 PM
How the world sees U.S. and Trump
by jgw
09/16/20 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
17001 Topics
303099 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#324002 - 04/08/20 01:56 AM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: Greger]
perotista Online   content
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
Clearly you seem to believe Biden is worse than Trump...but I could be wrong

Quite wrong. I've stated many times that Biden will be far better than Trump. But he'll still lose in 2024 to a Republican.

My problem with Biden is that he will be the last Democratic president until 2032.

I'm under the impression that Biden promised to serve only one term. Hence who he chooses for his VP is very important. Biden can groom his VP to be ready for 2024.

I'll make no predictions for 2024, only this one for 2022. If Biden and company enter the presidency thinking he has a mandate to make numerous changes when most folks just want a return to normalcy, the Republicans will take back the House due to over reaching just like Obama and company did with the ACA.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#324011 - 04/08/20 04:14 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: perotista]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Man I hate to agree with a Perotista grin , but your last couple of comments have been very close to what I have concluded.

Get the country back to "normal". It will take some doing especially if the Senate remains under Sen McConnell's control. Think of the big picture. We as a people are in this for the long haul. Ensure the democratic institutions worth keeping are fortified for the future especially against the possibility of another corrupt, anti-democratic takeover.

#324017 - 04/08/20 05:12 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: rporter314]
journeyman

History can provide valuable lessons. Obama over reached and lost the house in his first midterm. So too did Bill Clinton. Reagan with all his changes lost 27 seats in the house during his first midterm. The Democrats controlled the House, so Reagan didn't lose it. But the Republicans fell from 193 seats down to 166.

Campaigning on change is usually a good strategy, it worked for Reagan, Bill Clinton and Obama. But people don't want to be taken out of their comfort zone. In doing so, you lose some of the people who put you in the White House to begin with. A president needs a good thermometer to take the temperature of the public to know how far he can go, where the edge is of the majority of Americans comfort zone. Going whole hog may mean you get your pet project or agenda item through, but losing the midterm means nothing more is accomplished much in any presidents last six years if reelected.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#324019 - 04/08/20 05:47 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Get the country back to "normal". It will take some doing especially if the Senate remains under Sen McConnell's control. Think of the big picture. We as a people are in this for the long haul. Ensure the democratic institutions worth keeping are fortified for the future especially against the possibility of another corrupt, anti-democratic takeover.

Normal? What is normal? I think we can agree that Trump is abnormal.

I AM thinking about the big picture. It's the rest of you who are blinded by Trump.

Were the Obama years normal? Is that what we want to get back to?

Were the Bush years normal? Perhaps that what we should aim for.

Maybe the Clinton administration? Blow Jobs and cigars are sounding pretty normal right now...

HW Bush? Reagan? Carter? Nixon?

How far back do we have to go to Make American Normal Again?

I submit that Trump is not particularly abnormal and removing him will not return us to some imagined point in the past where things were "normal".

We need bold decisive leadership. Biden will be trampled. It's gonna feel good for a little while as the world breathes a sigh of relief.

But all the problems will remain.

#324022 - 04/08/20 06:09 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: perotista]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: perotista
History can provide valuable lessons. Obama over reached and lost the house in his first midterm.

Wow, so you're saying that you believe Newt Gingrich was a return to normalcy? You think McConnell's January 2009 pledge was a return to normalcy? LOL ROTFMOL

#324023 - 04/08/20 06:10 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: danarhea]
journeyman

I'll just say this, there are certain issues, problems that neither party wants to solve as they make too good a campaign issue in firing up your base. In painting the other guy, party as the evil doers.

#324024 - 04/08/20 06:13 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: Greger]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Not unless the Democrats never mention why they won in 2020 (hopefully). They are going to get a collapsed economy and a crippling national debt to deal with. There should not be a single day when its not pointed out who brought us to that point. Don't forget, the attention span of the American Voting Public is slightly less than a fruit fly.

This is especially true as the Republicans, right now, are figuring out ways to steal the so called multi-trillion dollar 'help' for the unemployed and small business. Trump, for instance, is firing all the hired help and virtually all of his properties have been losing money (not surprising given that anything he touches goes broke in the end). Betcha they will now become distressed 'small' businesses? Oh, he also owns shares in the company that produces the drug he is pushing.

and he is only the tip of that economic rape that is/will happen.

Many of us have stated that we are willing to have an economic disaster if it means losing Trump. Now we are getting our wish. Its actually a bit off putting.

Edited by jgw (04/08/20 06:16 PM)

#324026 - 04/08/20 06:21 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California

Were the Obama years normal? Is that what we want to get back to?

Were the Bush years normal? Perhaps that what we should aim for.

Maybe the Clinton administration? Blow Jobs and cigars are sounding pretty normal right now...

HW Bush? Reagan? Carter? Nixon?

Yeah, believe it or not, all of the above seems more normal now.
No, not DESIRABLE, but comparatively NORMAL? Yeah...definitely.

So, the choice to use a word like normal must be analyzed with fresh eyes. Conservative columnist P.J. O'Rourke tried in 2016 when he decided that even Hillary was a better choice than Trump.

He said she was "the second worst thing that can happen to the country" and that "Hillary is wrong on everything, but she is wrong within normal parameters".

When conservatives even admit that there are boundaries of normalcy and decency, that's when you know there's a serious problem afoot in the rest of the wilderness.
When conservatives begin to abandon their own party by the hundreds of thousands, even the millions, you should look up and take note of what's going on in the sky above you, it may actually be falling after all.
And again, that's the CONSERVATIVE side, okay?

---TO SAY NOTHING of what everyone else would be saying at that point!
Everyone else has already been sounding the alarm while most cons are insisting everything's just peachy...then suddenly some cons are looking around and saying "uh ohhh, the s**** is hitting the fan".

I submit that Trump is not particularly abnormal

Much as I hate to say it, the above sounds like crazy talk, it really does.

We need bold decisive leadership.

No kidding...then vote the Republicans OUT of power in BOTH CHAMBERS and put better people from the opposition in there instead. We have plenty of progressive leaders ready to serve...all they need is the votes to put them in Congress, where they can guide the Biden administration properly.

#324039 - 04/08/20 08:45 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: jgw]
journeyman

Originally Posted By: jgw
Not unless the Democrats never mention why they won in 2020 (hopefully). They are going to get a collapsed economy and a crippling national debt to deal with. There should not be a single day when its not pointed out who brought us to that point. Don't forget, the attention span of the American Voting Public is slightly less than a fruit fly.

This is especially true as the Republicans, right now, are figuring out ways to steal the so called multi-trillion dollar 'help' for the unemployed and small business. Trump, for instance, is firing all the hired help and virtually all of his properties have been losing money (not surprising given that anything he touches goes broke in the end). Betcha they will now become distressed 'small' businesses? Oh, he also owns shares in the company that produces the drug he is pushing.

and he is only the tip of that economic rape that is/will happen.

Many of us have stated that we are willing to have an economic disaster if it means losing Trump. Now we are getting our wish. Its actually a bit off putting.

Yes, most Americans do have mighty short memories. Just think, impeachment is ancient history. Almost like it never happened. New events can totally erase an event prior to the new one happening.

I gave up on any of the two major parties dealing with the national debt long ago. All we get is rhetoric and no action. I do get a little peeved when one party brings it to the fore when their party just added trillions when it power to blame the other party. But I guess that normal politics.

Sure, each party gives a million and one excuses why they added to the debt and each always blames the predecessor. So I ignore most of the hyperbole on the debt.

When I see a major party actually get serious about tackling the debt, then I'll join them. Until then, the debt is on ignore as it is with whatever party is in power, only to be used by the party out of power as a campaign tactic so they can gain power and run up double the debt.

#324040 - 04/08/20 08:52 PM Re: My vote will be for Biden, and this is why [Re: perotista]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
Obama over reached and lost the house in his first midterm.

May I intimate any statement which begins with "Obama ... therefore .... " is suspect. Pres Obama was first black person to be president. He evoked and elicited a visceral response among southern bigots exceeding normal bigotry. Tea People everywhere .... lying about how Pres Obama was overreaching.

I suspect the reason why the Democrats lost the House was far more complex than ... "he overreached".

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2