by pdx rick
Today at 04:34 AM
Coronavirus - everyone was/is wrong?
by pondering_it_all
Today at 04:27 AM
What's the Democratic Party doing?
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:07 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:42 PM
Little Houses
by jgw
Yesterday at 07:04 PM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:14 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pdx rick
07/12/20 01:06 AM
covid-19 cure
by jgw
07/10/20 06:53 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
07/10/20 12:38 AM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
07/08/20 11:07 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16963 Topics
301219 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323833 - 04/03/20 10:54 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Gee, according to Jared the federal stockpiles are for "us", not the states. No discussion about who exactly "us" is. I suppose all the US citizens who don't live is states? So Guam and Puerto Rico must be flooded with masks and PPE! What, no?

Maybe he meant the federal stockpiles are now reserved for Trump to send to Red States who's governors are still kissing his butt? I see they have fixed the website that stated the federal stockpiles are expressively there so the federal government can send them to states with emergency needs.

Quote:
“The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia.”

George Orwell

#323840 - 04/04/20 06:08 AM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jgw
this happened waaay back in January and its, just now, being reported. This seems to be a bit of "day late and dollar short" to me. We have now had 3 months of battle over this stuff and now its coming to light? One would have thought a more timely effort could have been made?
It actually happened February 7th.
Quote:
It is also true that on Feb. 7, 2020, while critics contended that the Trump administration was doing relatively little to prepare for the coming pandemic in the U.S., the State Department announced it had facilitated “the transportation of nearly 17.8 tons of donated medical supplies to the Chinese people, including masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials” in order to help “contain and combat the novel coronavirus”
(Snopes). Now, to be fair to the press, at the time there was not an outbreak in the United States, and there had been assurances that our stockpile was substantial (it was not).

#323841 - 04/04/20 03:42 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
veteran

Loc: Highlands, Tx
The associated story is the Trump claim Pres Obama did not replenish the stockpiles leaving poor Mr Trump without any supplies. (Fact checkers have concluded the only line item in the stockpile to be in short supply was N95 masks. When asked about it former director said budget cuts forced him to make choice between masks or vital drugs. No easy decision.) So for the past 3 years Mr Trump did nothing to replenish the stockpile ... so I guess he blames Pres Obama for holding a gun to Trump's head and forcing him not to replenish stockpiles .... makes sense to me in a Trumpian kinda way

#323843 - 04/04/20 04:26 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't know if this article has been posted before or not (I'm following too many), but I am going to reference it anyway. This disaster is a Republican disaster from the beginning to the end. Full stop. How Tea Party Budget Battles Left the Na...for Coronavirus (Pro Publica).
Quote:
Dire shortages of vital medical equipment in the Strategic National Stockpile that are now hampering the coronavirus response trace back to the budget wars of the Obama years, when congressional Republicans elected on the Tea Party wave forced the White House to accept sweeping cuts to federal spending.

Among the victims of those partisan fights was the effort to keep adequate supplies of masks, ventilators, pharmaceuticals and other medical equipment on hand to respond to a public health crisis. Lawmakers in both parties raised the specter of shortchanging future disaster response even as they voted to approve the cuts.

And now the administration is trying to wedge "free market solutions" into responding to this national disaster, with the expected results. It is the most idiotic, cynical, greed-inspired, graft-engineered, Republican process ever attempted and is costing the United States, the States, and most importantly the people, untold expense and grief. This is why Republicans should never, ever be put in charge of any thing, ever.

#323846 - 04/04/20 05:37 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I think that you have pretty much nailed it down. Our local newspaper runs a political commentary by a member of the righteous right. Yesterday she posted:
https://www.creators.com/read/michelle-malkin

I think its fair to say that if she would write something like this that there are problems in the Republican party starting to come to light?

I know, wishful thinking, but it makes me feel a bit better given the total lack of Democratic response in any meaningful way.

#324222 - 04/11/20 03:49 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California

#324227 - 04/11/20 05:27 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
In January, Trump was busy with all of his impeachment trial appearances. Then in February, he needed to unwind by holding rallies and golfing like crazy. In March he had to deal with this virus plot by Democrats to impeach him again because they lost the last time...

Trump was impeached on December 18, 2019. Impeachment was over in January 2020 when he was dealing with Removal.

In February, orange fatass was on a trip to India with his entire grifty family. smile

#324235 - 04/11/20 06:07 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Hopefully, when its all over and we recover we also get some laws in place to secure America the next time something like this comes along. We have already been warned that it will come. Taiwan, for instance, mandates, by law, that every hospital maintain a 60 day supply of needed supplies. BY LAW! We have, as far as I know, nothing like that. The so called national store is more of a suggestion than a fact. Except for our military, as far as I know, we are just not very good at stocking up for future problems. We also are not real good at warnings of future problems. We were warned, for instance, about the vulnerability of invasion, by air, in Hawaii and ignored it until it happened. That taught us a lessen that we learned and our military is ALWAYS ready now! (some might say waaaaaay too ready!). However, when it comes to health - not so much. I betcha, with a little thought, one could actually create a list of stuff we don't act on until its a disaster.

I guess we just don't do that although I would support, at least, some kind of study on such, for for the heck of it. Right now what we have is the "wake-up call" thing. We seem to get a lot of those and most get ignored until its not. The current covid-19 thing was predicted but we needed a "wake-up" before we did anything.

Anyway .......

#324239 - 04/11/20 07:07 PM Re: I wonder what could have happened to our stockpiles of medical stuff? [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Stockpile? Everybody knows "just in time" inventory is the cat's meow. Of course, one little supply chain disruption and the whole economy jumps into the toilet. But as long as it does work, it works great!

Until it doesn't.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2