by pondering_it_all
Today at 10:15 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by jgw
Today at 05:01 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pondering_it_all
Today at 07:40 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by Greger
08/06/20 06:36 PM
What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems?
by pondering_it_all
08/05/20 12:13 AM
Normal Stuff
by pondering_it_all
08/03/20 10:07 PM
A possible solution to rental problems.
by Irked
08/01/20 12:21 AM
Ongoing Slavery
by jgw
07/31/20 05:06 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/29/20 01:33 AM
Seattle had a Riot!
by jgw
07/28/20 06:17 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
07/25/20 08:08 PM
Collections
by Greger
07/24/20 11:08 PM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pondering_it_all
07/24/20 09:35 PM
Deranged Trump supporter suspected in murdering son of judge
by Greger
07/24/20 05:54 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by logtroll
07/24/20 12:07 PM
Chad Wolf
by pdx rick
07/24/20 03:54 AM
why cities won't be able to stop Trump's secret police
by jgw
07/23/20 07:06 PM
Fox News anchor shared fabricated tweet in attempt to smear AOC
by rporter314
07/22/20 03:11 AM
We have now reached peak Libertarianism - and it is literally killing us
by jgw
07/21/20 07:07 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16977 Topics
301774 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325493 - 05/10/20 06:38 PM The open it all up crowd
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Every night, on TV, we are treated to videos of them that want all state control due to covid-19 to go away so that everybody can do their own thing with their friends. Something like 10% are wearing face masks the rest, not so much. About half of these folk are packing (pistols, war weapons, whatever).

From what I can see none of these people are particularly wealthy nor very bright. Most probably rent or own a large mortgage. the chances are very good that they have few savings and probably are not currently working. Most are mouthing one conspiracy theory or another. What I really don't get is their adulation of Jackass Trump. I REALLY DON'T GET IT! These people are, basically, sacrificing their lives for a man who has done, in the last 3 years, NOTHING for them! NOTHING!

These people actually believe that Jackass Trump is a great businessman. The facts tend to belie that one. His daddy gave him 450 million dollars - he went bankrupt. He, basically, went bankrupt 6 times. Each time he royally screwed over his investors and anybody who worked for him - EVERY TIME! Every business he has tried, other than stuff with his name on it, has gone broke. Fake school, shut down, it was a scam, steaks, whatever - all gone broke. Jackass Trump is, quite possibly, the worst American businessman on record!

I would appreciate somebody telling me how this can even be! These people have, for instance, made wearing a face mask a badge of cowardliness and also a sign of anti-freedom and anti-Americanism. This is, in other words, made not wearing a face mask a sign of support for Jackass Trump!

Again, these people, I think, really don't believe that Covid-19 is particularly dangerous. They bring their own children to these efforts to stop any attempt to control Covid-19, even to save lives, including their own!

It actually even gets better! When these folks gather to support their efforts to stop any efforts by gov to actually save their lives they also bring their own children! its now known that Covid-19 can attack children in deadly ways - makes no difference as science, in their minds, is out to steal their individual rights to, I guess, die.

I can go on and on about this but, basically, my problem is that its just hard to watch and understand what the hell is going on.

I know some of the gun rights crowd. Their blather remains and makes little sense. Their main claim to fame is that they have a God given right to own, and carry, any and all guns. They have now included any efforts to save them from a deadly disease as well. My own feeling is that this should be a reason to remove their guns as they are simply not thinking right.

The second amendment, that which is based the God given right to guns says; "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." What is not mentioned is God, and has to do with a Militia (citizen I guess). The first words "A well regulated Militia" kinda says it all yet the gun folk are against ANY regulation and they sure as hell do not belong to any publicly supported Militia I know of. (just thought I would throw that in).

Anyway, my hope is that these particular idiots do not represent the American voting public but are actually a rather small percentage of the whole. Still, they seem to have some support, especially from local law enforcement who would prefer to support the crazies rather than the law. This is worrysome. In about 6 months we vote. I have read at least 3 separate papers on what might happen should Trump lose. The first is that he just claims the election null and void and refuses to leave. The second is that he manages to somehow neither win, or lose, the election based on the results of the vote of the electoral college due to claims of whatever. The third would be his resisting to go because only he can save us from ourselves.

I think any of these are possible. Not probable - so far. I would remind us that it was a home grown effort that caused the Oklahoma City Bombing. Basically, it was caused by the same sort of people that are now carrying loaded war weapons on our streets as a right. I don't know about you but I am not real comfortable with any of this stuff.

Edited by jgw (05/10/20 07:33 PM)

#325496 - 05/10/20 08:15 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw
Every night, on TV, we are treated to videos of them that want all state control due to covid-19 to go away so that everybody can do their own thing with their friends. Something like 10% are wearing face masks the rest, not so much. About half of these folk are packing (pistols, war weapons, whatever).

Mary Mallon, aka "Typhoid Mary".

It is way past time we start treating these covidiots the way they handled Typhoid Mary.

Section 8 of The Constitution, the part that refers to the general Welfare, points to the proper response to these so called "Branch Covidians."

And as for packing heat, hate to say it but we are headed to a point where Trump begins labeling people who wear masks as "America haters" and soon just wearing a mask will potentially make you a target of hate by Trumpers. Once Trump dials up the rhetoric, you won't be safe out in the open unprotected, AND you won't be safe wearing a mask either, for different reasons.

Simply put, we either take bold action now to put down this insurgency the constitutional way or we roll over and give up.

#325499 - 05/10/20 08:39 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Actually, the best response to people taking their children out in public without masks, is for CPS to take their children. It's crazy we let people endanger their children by taking them out to armed demonstrations, or even armed mob attacks like happened in Wisconsin. We take kids for far less endangerment.

#325510 - 05/10/20 10:14 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
GreatNewsTonight Offline

A lot of these rednecks are overweight, drink too much alcohol, and exercise little. They probably are prime territory for hypertension and diabetes. So, they are fertile grounds for severe cases of COVID-19.

I think that containment has failed and we'll just have a protracted endemic spread of this virus until it reaches 85% of the population and causes herd immunity, hopefully. Meanwhile we'll get many deaths, but these rednecks are likely to be hit in proportionally higher numbers (given that they don't take any precautions) and with more severity (given obesity, alcoholism, hypertension, diabetes). In the presence of co-morbid conditions mortality by COVID-19 goes up exponentially. So in one year of so, what will happen is that almost all of these rednecks will be close to or know someone who died a miserable COVID-19 death. Then, this might infuse in them a newfound respect for and fear of this nasty illness.

Until then, they'll continue to be covidiots, and will therefore be valuable recipients of the Darwin Award. If it happens sooner rather than later, it might even have an impact on Trump's chances. If 5% of his voters croak of COVID-19, it will be harder for him to earn re-election.

So, instead of berating these people, we should be egging them on, and adding that yeah, drink some bleach too, and stick an UV light up your butt!
Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

#325513 - 05/10/20 10:30 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: GreatNewsTonight]
Greger Online   content

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
They're essentially the Bernie Bots of the right.

#325514 - 05/10/20 10:35 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Trump needs to hold more rallies.

#325516 - 05/10/20 10:42 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
CHB-OG

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Trump needs to hold more rallies.

Tightly packed rallies. smile

#325526 - 05/10/20 11:10 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
GreatNewsTonight Offline

Opening it all up is likely to be economically damaging rather than saving, as per this Bloomberg article (and you know, Bloomberg, a business site, would be unlikely to be opposing something that would enhance business so there is no sense in shooting the messenger):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jobless-benefits-may-intended-victim-110030968.html

I saw a headline (didn't read the article, can't find it now) saying that new research shows that a minimum of 12 weeks of strict lockdown is needed to actually curb the pandemic. So other countries that took it way more seriously are reaping off the benefits, while all the we could accomplish was a plateau.
Please take COVID-19 seriously; don't panic but don't deny it; practice social distancing (stay 6ft from people); wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't gather with too many people, so that you help us contain it.

#325527 - 05/10/20 11:14 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
GreatNewsTonight Offline

#325532 - 05/10/20 11:55 PM Re: The open it all up crowd [Re: jgw]
GreatNewsTonight Offline

The comparison between Brazil and Argentina offer a case-in-point for a comparison of no lockdown versus lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/argentina-covid19-brazil-response-bolsonaro-fernandez

Idiotic proponents of the theory of "let's just allow the virus to run its course" should look at these countries.

I liked what the President of Argentina said:

"You can recover from an economic downturn but you can't recover from death."

Edited by GreatNewsTonight (05/11/20 02:22 AM)

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2