by pdx rick
03:20 AM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by pondering_it_all
12:43 AM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by pondering_it_all
12:38 AM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pondering_it_all
10:13 PM
Little Houses
by pondering_it_all
09:42 PM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by jgw
07:30 PM
Mysteries not solved
by jgw
06:29 PM
WV woman goes to Mexico with her daughter and series of TOP SECRET U.S docs
by pdx rick
07/08/20 11:07 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16960 Topics
301109 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326255 - 06/01/20 12:24 AM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: One of the Mexicos
Ookay... that is clearly an unhinged view of what makes the world go 'round, in my opinion.

Everything is judged in monetary terms, got it!

#326273 - 06/01/20 03:16 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: logtroll]
CPWILL Offline

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Ookay... that is clearly an unhinged view of what makes the world go 'round, in my opinion.

Inertia and Gravity make the world go around.

Quote:
Everything is judged in monetary terms, got it

Nope. But economic exchanges tend to be, ever since we left barter behind.

#326278 - 06/01/20 05:05 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

You might find this to be interesting, unless your confirmation bias is stronger that your inquisitive mind. Enjoy!

#326280 - 06/01/20 05:35 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: CPWILL
Please clarify. Are you equating how much money a person makes with ability to serve each other?

If you don't serve people's needs or wants, in this economy, then they won't give you any money. If you not only serve their needs and wants, but, serve the needs or wants of millions or tens of millions of people in a particularly helpful way, they will give you a lot of money.

Seems quite theoretical to me. I like real life examples (my experience, or your experience).
One example that I know of is lawyers - it is beyond my comprehension, based on my experience, why they can charge so much and do so little of value. In fact, they often do a great deal of damage.

#326283 - 06/01/20 06:24 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: logtroll]
logtroll Offline
veteran

The concept of service deserves some discussion - and this, I think, is what most causes me to respond to your comments.

The idea that service to others is best measured by dollars spent, or acquired... I'm tempted to post that fun video again.

I am a fancier of the triple-bottom-line economic theory, where social benefits and environmental benefits are accounted for along with direct monetary benefits.

#326296 - 06/01/20 10:18 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: logtroll]
CPWILL Offline

Please clarify. Are you equating how much money a person makes with ability to serve each other?

If you don't serve people's needs or wants, in this economy, then they won't give you any money. If you not only serve their needs and wants, but, serve the needs or wants of millions or tens of millions of people in a particularly helpful way, they will give you a lot of money.

Seems quite theoretical to me. I like real life examples (my experience, or your experience).
One example that I know of is lawyers - it is beyond my comprehension, based on my experience, why they can charge so much and do so little of value. In fact, they often do a great deal of damage.

Fair enough. Next time you find yourself in a court case, or dealing with a complex legal subject, where you have a lot riding on the line, go without legal advice and see how you do. smile

One of the beauties of the free market, after all, is that, if you don't think that the good or service being sold is worth the price being charged, you don't have to buy it smile

Edited by CPWILL (06/01/20 10:19 PM)

#326297 - 06/01/20 11:13 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

You obviously don't have much life experience. For instance, if you don't get good service from a lawyer, how do you not buy it?

(Hint: you always pay in advance.)

#326311 - 06/02/20 05:20 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: logtroll]
CPWILL Offline

You obviously don't have much life experience.

(shrug) I'm in the second half of my 30s.

Quote:
For instance, if you don't get good service from a lawyer, how do you not buy it?

(Hint: you always pay in advance.)

If you think that the lawyer isn't giving you good advice, fire them and get another. Lawyers that are terrible at serving their client's won't do as well as those who are great at it (shrug), and the former can charge more than the latter as a result of the difference in how well they serve their clients.

Or, if you don't think you need someone to serve you in that way, don't hire a lawyer. But they are being paid for providing you a service, not because they hunted you down, stuck a gun in your face, and demanded money.

#326351 - 06/03/20 07:02 PM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Its very strange. People don't seem to understand that if they are paying somebody to do something, and they don't perform you just get another one. This is particularly true of Attorneys, Accountants, and Doctors. I had a bill collection agency for years. It was one of the best jobs I ever had. Nobody was ever angry with us. It was really quite simple. If they owed the money we files a suit in court. I went through a LOT of attorneys. My main problem was that they all, eventually, wanted more money. I always settled that with just hiring another. There is ALWAYS another attorney! Never got rich but it worked. All the attorney had to do was sign stuff. The computer did all the pleadings and we only rarely went to court. If the debtor had anything we bumped it to superior court. The name of the company was Final Notice.

#326357 - 06/04/20 12:32 AM Re: The Maximum Wage [Re: CPWILL]
logtroll Offline
veteran

If you think that the lawyer isn't giving you good advice, fire them and get another. Lawyers that are terrible at serving their client's won't do as well as those who are great at it (shrug), and the former can charge more than the latter as a result of the difference in how well they serve their clients.

This is a good example of what I meant by limited life experience. I'm guessing you haven't ever had to hire a lawyer.

My point, which you have dodged fairly completely, is that lawyers can charge an exorbitant amount of money, whether they are good or not. You naively think that the "free market" will separate the good from the bad, but it doesn't. I have engaged too many lawyers in my life, and I have yet to find a single one that does a good, competent, and earnest job. Part of this I blame the legal system for, as I have also never experienced a good judge. They are all interested in "resolution", not "justice" (this has been said to me directly by several). And, if one of them should put the proper effort into prosecuting your case, you'd soon be out of money, before finding justice, much less resolution. They generally do not care one whit about the merits of your case, at least not until the final hours before a court hearing, and then probably still not.

So your "advice" sounds ludicrous to me, the fantasies of someone who has not experienced the reality of it. For that I forgive you, but you might try a bit more introspection before dispensing worthless advice based on hollow ideological beliefs.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2