by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:06 PM
Mysteries not solved
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
Little Houses
by Greger
Yesterday at 08:32 PM
Batsh!t crazy Kanye West just announced he's running for POTUS in 2020.
by perotista
07/07/20 11:45 PM
Drug prices
by jgw
07/07/20 05:29 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:10 AM
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by pondering_it_all
07/07/20 07:01 AM
Decisions
by pondering_it_all
07/06/20 07:12 PM
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by pdx rick
07/06/20 05:30 AM
congress gets
by jgw
07/05/20 07:49 PM
Normal Stuff
by jgw
07/05/20 06:30 PM
the Trump Plan
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, US Intel
by pdx rick
07/04/20 05:24 PM
What is wealth? How is it made? How is it accounted?
by logtroll
07/04/20 12:44 AM
These are, apparently, college kids?
by pondering_it_all
07/03/20 07:50 PM
State Voters and Covid-19
by jgw
07/03/20 07:39 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16960 Topics
301091 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326221 - 05/30/20 06:59 PM Re: Michigan Rep. Justin Amash Takes Step Toward Libertarian Presidential Bid [Re: pdx rick]
perotista Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: perotista
...I do think these third party candidates serve a purpose. It give those who don't like nor want either major party candidate a means of voicing their disdain for both.

I would also say that the same voters who vote third-party have the delusion that somehow their candidate will become president.

ROTFMOL

The mental illness is strong in these folks. smile

I don't think so. I think almost everyone who voted third party in 2016 knew that Johnson, Stein, McMullen etc. didn't have a chance of winning. Some voted for them because they like them the best, but most I think going by past history, voted for a third party candidate to avoid voting for either Trump or Hillary.

If CNN's exit polling is correct, that is close to 6 million people who turned out to vote against both Trump and Hillary that wouldn't have voted at all if they couldn't vote against both those major party candidates.

I was one of those who voted third party. I had no illusions that the candidate I voted for even had a remote chance of winning. But it was that important to me to have my vote officially registered against both of them. Who I voted for was irrelevant, as long as it wasn't Trump nor Hillary. I didn't care who won between them. It made no difference to me whether we had devil A or devil B. All I knew is one of the devils would win. All I wanted to do is not help either devil win. I wanted it known far and wide, I did my best to stop both or either one from winning.

I find it interesting that on election day 56% of all Americans had a negative view of Hillary and didn't want her to become president while 60% of all Americans had a negative view of Trump and didn't want him to become their next president either.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/l37rosbwjp/econTabReport_lv.pdf

Yet, what these stats show is that 8 out of that 56% who didn't like nor want Hillary ended up voting for her so she could wind up with 48% of the vote. With Trump, 14 out of that 60% voted for him although they disliked and didn't want him president either.

So in the end we ended up with Trump. This is what happens when neither party nominates someone most Americans don't want to become president.

No, I don't think many third party voters at all had the notion that the candidate they voted for could win. Remember 65% of third party voters said they wouldn't have voted if their hadn't been a third party candidate on the ballot for them to vote against both Trump and Clinton. What this means is almost 6 million Americans went to the poll to vote against both candidates. Not necessary for a candidate, but vote against Trump and Clinton, against both or they would have stayed home.

In 2016, if there had been no third party candidate for me to vote against both Trump and Hillary, I would have wrote in Mr. None of the Above. I wanted a say in who Georgia's Senator and who my congressman would be along with the local offices on the ballot. I didn't want nothing at all to do with Trump and Hillary Clinton. If people were stupid enough to vote for either one, then they deserved what they got.
It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

#326222 - 05/30/20 07:21 PM Re: Michigan Rep. Justin Amash Takes Step Toward Libertarian Presidential Bid [Re: perotista]
Greger Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florida
Quote:
If people were stupid enough to vote for either one, then they deserved what they got.

Well, I stupidly voted for Hillary and got Trump. I guess I deserve it.

But I don't let it bother me much, it's certainly been an interesting four years. My eye is always on the future, my agenda is social democracy. I'm pretty sure I've got a better chance of achieving my goals than the Galt's Gulch Gang. I've got actual working models I can point to.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2