Current Topics
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by perotista
0 seconds ago
What happens if the election doesn't settle due to voting problems?
by Greger
11 minutes 1 second ago
Medications that might help against SARS-CoV-2
by Greger
35 minutes 14 seconds ago
Coronavirus: The Plague of The 21st Century?
by jgw
Today at 06:55 PM
RoundTable for Summer 2020
by Greger
Today at 06:33 PM
Normal Stuff
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Portland. A Turning Point?
by Irked
08/01/20 12:49 AM
A possible solution to rental problems.
by Irked
08/01/20 12:21 AM
Ongoing Slavery
by jgw
07/31/20 05:06 PM
The Departed - 2020
by pondering_it_all
07/29/20 01:33 AM
Seattle had a Riot!
by jgw
07/28/20 06:17 PM
The Boogaloo Bois
by pondering_it_all
07/25/20 08:08 PM
Collections
by Greger
07/24/20 11:08 PM
There needs to be a ‘real reckoning’ for Trump’s abuses if Biden wins
by pondering_it_all
07/24/20 09:35 PM
Deranged Trump supporter suspected in murdering son of judge
by Greger
07/24/20 05:54 PM
What is the purpose of Capitalism?
by logtroll
07/24/20 12:07 PM
Chad Wolf
by pdx rick
07/24/20 03:54 AM
why cities won't be able to stop Trump's secret police
by jgw
07/23/20 07:06 PM
Fox News anchor shared fabricated tweet in attempt to smear AOC
by rporter314
07/22/20 03:11 AM
We have now reached peak Libertarianism - and it is literally killing us
by jgw
07/21/20 07:07 PM
Forum Stats
6292 Members
60 Forums
16977 Topics
301704 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326409 - 06/07/20 08:12 PM marching, police, etc
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
For the last week its all been about marching, BLM, and the police. The Marcher solution to bad cops is to do away with the police. A REALLY bad idea! There is a solution and its pretty simple. Take away the police immunity to everything that they do. Its generally agreed that its really tough to prosecute and convict a policeman as they seem to have the support of just about everybody but them that they screw over. The number of screwed, however, seems to grow. Up to now its been blacks but, after showing them dropping 75 year old white guys and whipping other whites with heavy 'batons', etc. I suspect that their transgressions have probably passed the line of immunity into the offensive.

Its time, its time to deal with police unions which seem, in many cases, to be in charge of the police. They just don't defend them, they set the rules for them and those rules seem to indicate a predilection to physically going after blacks up to the point of killing them. They also kill white folks as well. They do all this killing with impunity and THAT too is offensive.

The ONLY way to fix it is to make the police responsible for their actions. Departments have spent a lot of money for personal police cameras and then they either don't turn them on or turn them off on a regular basis. Make a law, police wear cameras and, when on the clock, They turn them on and leave them on until they end their shift. It would also make sense to transmit the videos whenever the wearer has wifi available to do that so nothing gets 'lost'. Once the police are told their limits, and those limits are enforced they are not going to change a damned thing. In addition to that any police fired for going over the line, or convicted of a crime, are put into a national data base so he/she is never hired by another police department. If one is then fire the chief! If police lie about anything that happened whilst working - fire him. They MUST be made to understand that there are results for bad behavior.

This will not go down well. Sorry about that. Their behavior is simply not agreeable. Choke holds should be banned nationwide. The possibly interesting thing is that choke holds don't necessarily kill if done right. Obviously they are not being done right so just stop the use and save lives.

Anway, if things are to change the police must understand that they pay a price for behaving badly. This means they get convicted for killing unarmed, man handling when not appropriate, etc. Seems pretty simple, and <sigh> unlikely but I thought I would weigh in.

#326410 - 06/07/20 09:56 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Sending them to prison may not be the best we can do, if the prison system is almost totally corrupt. They just continue the corruption inside. I think we need to clean up the prisons, too. No more oopsies like Epstein, that everybody just accepts because that's the way prisons are.

I say, make it personally expensive when they screw up. A $500 per month fine for a year for arresting a working journalist with a press pass. That would stop immediately!

#326435 - 06/08/20 07:49 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

That might even be better! What I am shooting for is for them to understand there are consequences. So long as they impress they do the job. Right now they literally get away with with murder! My thought is that they are not all stupid.

#326437 - 06/08/20 08:29 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

it dawns on me that there is simply no way all the marches could still be going without Covid-19 keeping them away from work/school. I can't decide if makes Covid-19 the good guy or the bad guy.

It also seems that several companies have determined that people working from home are producing more than they do in the office and are making plans to make working at home they way its gonna be in the future.

That pesky Covid-19!

Edited by jgw (06/09/20 06:30 PM)

#326492 - 06/10/20 06:53 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Just as I suspected, George Floyd was not killed accidentally in an arrest gone bad scenario:

Chauvin & Floyd Clashed Over Cop’s Treatment of Customers

Quote:
on Tuesday nights, [nightclub owner] Santamaria says, both men worked during the club’s weekly dance competition. Another worker at the club, David Pinney, told CBS News that Chauvin and Floyd not only were familiar with one another, they had a history. “They bumped heads,” Pinney said. “It has a lot to do with Derek being extremely aggressive within the club with some of the patrons, which was an issue.” Santamaria says that she never received complaints from her other workers about Chauvin but that customers would sometimes complain about how the off-duty officer treated them. Floyd, on the other hand, was “beloved in the Latin community because he worked at another Latin club too,” according to Santamaria.

“Is there any doubt in your mind that Derek Chauvin knew George Floyd?” CBS News asked Pinney. “No. He knew him,” Pinney said. “How well did he know him?” CBS News asked. “I would say pretty well,” Pinney responded. If that’s true, it could prove significant in whether Chauvin ultimately faces stiffer, first-degree murder charges, which would imply some intent on the part of the officer. It could also dramatically change the context in which the fatal arrest was made, potentially recasting it as an officer settling a grudge.

#326523 - 06/11/20 03:24 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
Hamish Howl Offline
journeyman

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Called this one a week ago.

#326554 - 06/11/20 10:43 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Pinney's retracted his story, but the club owner has not. I wonder if somebody got to him.

#326578 - 06/12/20 08:08 PM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Me too! My suspicion is that somebody did. If it ever comes out it would be interesting what, exactly, happened.

#326585 - 06/13/20 05:54 AM Re: marching, police, etc [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

It happens. The powers that be do stuff to manipulate the news all the time. That's why I tend to believe that women who sued Trump for raping her when she was 13, but killed the suit when she got too many credible death threats.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 148 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Superfly, GreatNewsTonight, danarhea, RoughDraft274, CPWILL
6292 Registered Users
A2